Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

2000 Millenia Bose Stereo question

Old 09-19-2006, 06:07 PM
Default 2000 Millenia Bose Stereo question

The Bose stereo in my 2000 Millenium Edition is acting funny. The tape player and AM/FM stereo work but the 6 disc cd changer is not working. It will load the cd in, but then spits it out giving an E01 code on the display. Does this mean the stereo is totally shot? Does anyone have any experience with getting this fixed, like how much, how easy? Thanks.

Old 09-19-2006, 10:56 PM
Default RE: 2000 Millenia Bose Stereo question

yup. you have to change out the internal cd changer. there are 2 types. the key is on the face of the unit, you will see the 6 disc cd changer label. most of the units will also have the 6 buttons on the lower part, 2 rows of 3 each. also, the plug in connections on the back have to be the same. here is a unit i recently bought, and took out the cd changer:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=120004247717

i also got one that was for a miata, and another that was in a 626. the key is the 6cd changer on the face, and the plug pattern on the back. the later units have a different plug configuration.

you have to take the unit apart to change the cd changer. but it is really easy. after pulling the unit out of the car, take off the spring clips on each side. they might be really ON there, and you might have to use a hand impact, or even drill them out. watch out, because the screws holding on the clips are countersunk, and hard to get. now take off the top cover, 2 screws on each side, at the end opposite the front panel, then the cover will lift off. now remove the front panel. 4 screws, 2 on each side, then gently lift off the front panel. the changer is held in by 4 screws, 2 in front, covered up by the panel, and 2 in the back. disconnect the ribbon cable on the right side, it just pulls out. now you can lift out the changer.
the hard part will be finding another changer. here is one on ebay that has been there forever. 200 bucks used is a ridiculous price, imho.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CASSA...spagenameZWD1V

here is one just like the one i got. the problem is that you dont know if the changer is fubar or not. the ones i got were brand new, and the changers were never used.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-01...29002039QQrdZ1

price is a lot better, but the early changers were kinda fragile. we have 2 99's, both have the bose units exactly like you have in the millenium edition, both with brand new changers, and i even have one new changer as a spare. it might take a while, but ebay is the best place to get them. otherwise, it is the repair shop(i was quoted 500 bucks), or a new unit from mazda-you can get a bose unit w/6cd changer for a 626 that is identical for about 660 bucks.

Old 09-20-2006, 12:05 PM
Default RE: 2000 Millenia Bose Stereo question

Thanks. I was quoted $500 also and thought that was ridiculous. I will look into this further. Thanks again for the detailed repsonse. Hopefully it may help someone else out having the same problem.