Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

2000 Mazda Millenia 2.3L

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 01:54 PM
Default 2000 Mazda Millenia 2.3L

I just bought this Mazda Millenia with the Miller Cycle 2.3L V6 engine. I got in the car and tried to start it and all it will do is a light clicking sound and the lights come on in the dashboard. The brake light stays on even though I don't have the E-brake on. Is this a starter issue?

I am trying to replace the starter and I cannot seem to find where it bolts in, any help?

I cannot find where to remove the intercooler either. Can someone help?

Old 01-28-2014, 09:52 PM

Maybe it is a starter issue, maybe it is an issue with the battery or charging system.
First try this: While someone turns the key knock on the starter with a broomstick or something. If that makes it start than the magnet switch at the starter is on the way out.
Put the battery on a charger. Clean the poles and check if there is corrosion going into the cable under the insulation.
Check ground connections.
Check or clean the cable connections at the starter.
Check the battery or have it checked at a parts store.

Don't throw parts at a problem. Check, clean and reuse the parts you have. Only replace parts that are truly defective.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:15 AM

well it was the starter and now one day later the starter is out again is there anything with these vehicles eating starters?

also before I shut it off to find out the starter problem. the radio cut off and the dash lights came on as though the car was off also the tach and the speedo were not working any help?

Old 01-30-2014, 12:06 PM
Question

also there is oil in the intercooler above the starter? how severe is this??

Old 01-30-2014, 02:16 PM

we have 2 99's, and have never had starter problems. i have only seen a couple of posts on 2.3 starters being changed out. which brings me to ask, how difficult was it to get to that one bolt?

i think your problem is electrical, not starter. you might be able to take the old starter to a shop that rebuilds starters and alternators, and they can bench test it. however, starter/alternator shops are really hard to find nowdays. and some oil in the intercoolers is normal. a whole bunch is not.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:31 PM

thank you it burns out the starters whatever it is

Old 01-31-2014, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Walnutz
thank you it burns out the starters whatever it is
you mean the starter stays on? if so, i dont think it is the starter.

and again, how difficult was that bolt?

Old 01-31-2014, 08:52 PM
Question

bolts were not to difficult just use different size extensions to get to them to clear the lines that are in the way.

it burns up the starter the starter does not stay on it simply burns out and then just clicks.

the more worrisome thing is what causes this and what would cause the dash lights to come on like the car was shut off but the key turned to the on position. but the motor is still running fine and the radio is off and the head lights wont come on.

so? what would cause this??

Old 02-01-2014, 08:16 AM

Replace the ignition switch. I think you have a short there.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:45 PM

so would that cause the starter to burn out??

Quick Reply: 2000 Mazda Millenia 2.3L