Mazda Miata (MX-5) This compact RWD model, offered with many engines options for those are who want to cruise with the top down in a base model, or hit the track in one of the high performance models, has been a popular model since its introduction.

remote fob

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 05:57 AM
Default remote fob

Hi, I've bought an Mx5 2004, it came with just a key and wanted to know if I could buy one from another vehicle and if so will it code to mine. I know the key is a transponder but this is just for the remote locking.

cheers

Old 06-04-2020, 11:19 PM

This forum seems to not answer many questions in a very timely manner... I just joined, so I'll help where I can..

I would verify that you can with a dealer, and it may need to be programmed by the dealer, but this snippet i found looking through Mitchell would indicate that it is possible, yes.
https://i.imgur.com/U34ITeq.png

While that is the procedure for key programming, logic would follow that fob programming would also be possible. I'll dig further and see if I can find that procedure and if it requires any special tools(factory scan tool, for example).

Old 06-04-2020, 11:24 PM

Something I found searching Google, via another forum,

2001 Mazda Miata Key Fob Programming Instructions

1. Remove key from ignition.
2. Close all doors.
3. Open driver side door and leave open.
4 Perform the following steps within 24 seconds.
A. Insert key in ignition.
B. Turn key to ON and OFF.
C. Repeat step b two more times.
D. Remove key.
E. Push driver door frame button three times (black rubber button located on driver door frame that tell the vehicle whether or not door is closed.)
5. Buzz sound, chime or doors will lock and unlock should be heard at this point signaling that the vehicle is now in programming mode. If not, wait 40 seconds and return to step 4.
6. All transmitters need to be programmed at this time, including the old ones. Push any button on the transmitter two times. A buzz sound, chime or doors locking and unlocking should be heard at this point signaling that the vehicle has accepted the new transmitter code. If there is only one transmitter, repeat this step two more times using the only transmitter. If there are two transmitters, repeat this step two more times using the second transmitter.
7. Push driver door frame button one time. Two buzz sounds, chimes or doors locking and unlocking 2 times should be heard at this point signaling successful programming.