Mazda Miata (MX-5) This compact RWD model, offered with many engines options for those are who want to cruise with the top down in a base model, or hit the track in one of the high performance models, has been a popular model since its introduction.

Racing Beat Header

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 02:33 PM
Default Racing Beat Header

Hi all,

I have a 2003 mx5 with a fully done exhaust system.. Racing beat. The header broke at the weld point just after the 4 into 1. I picked up a OBX header for a good price. Now i'm in the middle of the install and I have a few questions:

Does anyone know the correct Torq settings for the Header to Head bolts, and pattern for tightening?

Is the Flang Gasket re-usable(not the end that attaches to the motor)??

Is there torq settings for the cross section under neath(if any)as I will have to take this off to remove the old header?

if I have any of the wording wrong please feel free to correct me Would like to finish this tomorrow. Please email me any answers
you may have to these questions. Thanks..

mr.blue@rogers.com

Old 11-01-2008, 05:15 PM
Default RE: Racing Beat Header

torque specs are generally between 20-30 pounds. i did 27 pounds on my p5 header and it has held strong with no leaks and no warping. the pattern is generally starting in the middle and zig-zagging top to bottom hand-tight, then torqued to spec in a cross-hatch pattern from left to right, then back again. i don't know of any specs or oder on the flange to flange fitting and i have never used one. the gasket, however, should be re-usable as long as it is in one piece. if not, you can get a new one from the auto parts store.

make sure that your racingbeat exhaust is going to fit up to the obx header. racingbeat is famous for making their exhausts slightly different than stock.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:23 PM

Thanks for the advice.. I guess I will find out tomorrow if it will connect ok to the rest of the exhaust lol.. Hope so, or I will be farting around all day with it getting it to fit lol..

Old 11-01-2008, 11:58 PM

just keep at it if it doesn't fit at first. i have done installs and swaps that have come together without any issues at all, but i have done simple installs that have taken hours on just one or two bolts.