Mazda Miata (MX-5) This compact RWD model, offered with many engines options for those are who want to cruise with the top down in a base model, or hit the track in one of the high performance models, has been a popular model since its introduction.

Questions from a Newbeeee....

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 12:14 AM
Default Questions from a Newbeeee....

Hi all, first time here.... I am contemplating the purchase of a slightly used 2006 MX5. I have a number of questions which I hope you can shed some light on to allevoate my fears [] 1) Is the car reliable? 2) Any overheating issues? Are the maintenance costs reasonable? Is the manual soft top problematic? What should I look for in a car that is less than 10K miles on the clock? Is the quality of the leather acceptable and is cloth a better option? Is a 6 speed manual the better option?

Thanking you in advance for your help.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:47 AM
Default RE: Questions from a Newbeeee....

You must not have owned any before. 'cause there should be no q's about it. I can say owning the new one to just buy it and not to ask too much advise from forums. Miata's are acclaimed with the best quality, and design. I keep finding cool features about the car. The top is easy to use and thoughtful. I say, drive the old body style first and then drive the new one. It's a reliable car that's fun and roomy. Just don't buy a bra for the front end.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:41 AM
Default RE: Questions from a Newbeeee....

Actually no, but I have owned other convertibles in the past, a Rabbit from when I was in school (1983, man I am getting old[:-]) and most recently a Mercedes Benz SLK 350, I sold it with less than 1,200 miles on it, was not much fun, and I was very worried after having read about horrible engine reliability issues, call me paranoid, but it cost a lot of money and I just sold it as a precaution. I believe that the MX5 will suit my needs, I think the design is gorgeous, and a manual top does not have nasty electrics or modules that can go bad. I like the economy and the handy size too, and I have heard and read excellent reviews about the car. Unfortunately, I do not even have a chance to test drive one as I am now living overseas and the dealer does not import them, so I am just going to have one shipped over from the US [8D]. I am trying to do the most research I can before I take the plunge.....