Mazda Miata (MX-5) This compact RWD model, offered with many engines options for those are who want to cruise with the top down in a base model, or hit the track in one of the high performance models, has been a popular model since its introduction.

New Miata, Washing Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 04:18 PM
Default New Miata, Washing Question

Hello,

My wife and I just bought an 08 Miata with the power rectractable Hardtop. According to the owners manual, they tell you not to bring it through a carwash, because it could do damage to the hardtop. Is this just a disclaimer, or is there truth behind it? Do you guys bring yours through carwashes?
We are currently in a drought and can not wash cars at home, so I thought I would bring it through at least a brushless carwash. Basically it just shoots pressured water from all directions. My one concern is that the top may leak. Any suggestions or thoughts?

P.S. We are loving the car!!!

Thanks,
Scott

Old 03-11-2008, 12:12 AM
Default RE: New Miata, Washing Question

Hi Scott:

Ihave an 08 Miata with Retractable Hard Top,it's the best car and most fun of any car I've ever owned including our old RX7! I was surprised about the car wash issue so I pulled my owner's manual and you're right it does say "Don't use an automatic car wash". I'm not sure what "automatic" means in this instance. I have never run mine through a car wash but then we don't have a ban on car washing yet....my biggest concern would be scratching the clear coat finish. As for the top I've not had a problem using a hose and sprayer attachment. I would think that if you carefully used one of those high pressure do it yourself type car washes you would be ok just be careful going around the windows and other rubber seals where the top hinges. I too would be interested in any comments from other owners.....Lynn