Mazda Miata (MX-5) This compact RWD model, offered with many engines options for those are who want to cruise with the top down in a base model, or hit the track in one of the high performance models, has been a popular model since its introduction.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 10:20 PM
Default New Member

Hey Folks...
New member here with a question on a 2000 Miata.
I'm an old RX7 guy with a first gen GSL-SE and have worked on quite a few of the MX5s. I got a chance to pick up a very nice MX5 from a friend. I have serviced this car for her for about 12 years. Mostly just the normal maint. issues and a new top. I did replace the Alternator about 10 years ago and now It's got a no charge issue. I'm fearing the worst on this as I'm about to come to the conclusion that it's the ECU.
Symptoms:
Parking brake light stays on.
Fluid level is good and I've disconnected the fluid level connector.. I've disconnected the lead to the parking brake lever as well.
Charge light (Batter light) comes on with the key and goes off as soon as the engine starts, but getting only battery voltage at the battery and at the alternator output terminal. Double checked the 80A fuse ... all good there. I tore into the old alternator (I'm old enough to rebuild instead of replace if possible) and found the brushes were pretty badly worn...so I replaced them. all else looks good inside. Put it back on and still have no charge. SO... I ordered a new alternator online and installed it today...same results...it's NEW...but made in China clone...so it could be bad as well!!!
Any words of wisdom...I know that it's virtually impossible to test the alternator outside the vehicle.
Also...this car is an automatic...if I have to replace the ECU...are they different from the ones for a manual gearbox???
Any Help is always appreciated!
Thanks,
Ed

Last edited by Ed Critz; 08-02-2017 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:43 PM

Well...problem solved.
One of our furry forest friends had nibbled on the wire for the brake fluid level sensor...it was hard to see as it was way down at the firewall. The second alternator (Rebuilt from O'Reile's) took care of the charging issue. I'm guessing the new one was bad or just wasn't configured correctly for the 99-00