Mazda Miata (MX-5) This compact RWD model, offered with many engines options for those are who want to cruise with the top down in a base model, or hit the track in one of the high performance models, has been a popular model since its introduction.

Mazda Miata wont crank

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 01:55 PM
Default Mazda Miata wont crank

in looking for solutions to my emmision problems, i disconnected the negitive battery cable to clear the codes that were in the memory. I waited about 1 min while depressing the break peddle. reconnected the cable and tried to start the poor beasty. it will not even crank. Now, i do notice there is a little red led that is flashing on the lower dash to the left and down from the main dash board, since i have inhearited this problem child, i do not know what it is, maybe a anti theft system of some kind, now i do get the lights on the dash to light, i have the check engine light (but it goes out after about 20 seconds) and the battery light stays lit.

IT WAS AN ANTI THEFT SYSTEM, FOUND THE MFGR AND WAS ABLE TO DISABLE

Last edited by johnnymac0503; 05-27-2009 at 04:15 PM. Reason: FOUND SOLUTION
Old 05-27-2009, 02:37 PM

It does seem to be an anti-theft device. Do you have any documents pertaining to the car? If so, you might be able to find out who supplied/ installed it. If not, try turning the ignition switch to the pre-star position (i.e. the battery and oil pressure lights are on), then start fiddling with stupid unlikely combinations of mirror and door lock switches in the console area, like selecting either the driver or passenger side mirror, then depressing the go left and go right or raise and lower steering segments simultaneously.
If this fails, duck under the dash and look for the switch located hugh up and behind the clutch pedal. This is the start inhibit interlock which prevents the driver from starting with the drive train engaged. It is quite a popular break-in point for inserting anti-theft circuitry, and wires leading from this switch might lead you to where the actual anti-theft device is located.