Mazda Miata (MX-5) This compact RWD model, offered with many engines options for those are who want to cruise with the top down in a base model, or hit the track in one of the high performance models, has been a popular model since its introduction.

Crank Pulley Failure 1996 Miata with 128k

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 05:41 PM
Default Crank Pulley Failure 1996 Miata with 128k

I noticed a possible pulley and a drive belt noise a few days ago. It went away. Today, I lost power steering and got a metal to metal noise. Opened hood and saw cranksaft bolt turning but pulley not really turning.

Got it into the garage and pulled it down to crankshaft timing belt pulley. There was some torque in the crankshaft bolt, even though the accessory pulley spun free pretty much when accessory belts removed.

Timing belt tight

Accessory Pulley was rubbing against lower timing belt cover--even ground the cover away at the bottom

The key was sheared, of course. Crankshaft key goove is WAY worn (see pics). There is wear on the groove of the back of the accessory pulley race (see pics).

The car ran ok. Not fantastic, but ok before complete accessory pulley failure.

Here are my concerns that I hope someone can help me with.

1. Should I bother with marks before removing crankshaft timing gear--even though timing belt tight has timing been screwed up.

2 I figure I ought to replace pulley bolt, key. Can I replace just the race part of the accessory pulley?

3. I guess I'll do that post 92 loctite thing, but it seems to me that if you are down to key groove repaired with loctite and key to hold things together you better not drive far from home. Seems to me that new bolt, good torque, clean threads and proper loctite on bolt threads is key to long term fix.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Larry