Mazda Miata (MX-5) This compact RWD model, offered with many engines options for those are who want to cruise with the top down in a base model, or hit the track in one of the high performance models, has been a popular model since its introduction.

A Couple of questions before I decide to buy.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 06:12 PM
Default A Couple of questions before I decide to buy.

I'm looking at getting a 2018 MX-5 RF grand touring as my next car (mostly because my dream supra costs over $50,000 for a car with 200K miles, a Skyline is illegal in the US, etc).

are they fun cars to drive? I already have a laundry list of mods I want for it:

Turbo, cooling upgrades, a full suspension / brake upgrade, wheels / summer tires, etc.

With mods can you drive them in a "reasonable" Memphis winter? (I know for a fact I won't be driving it in a Chicago winter if I feel like living).

I basically want a Drag car and I want to drift sometimes but still have it as my daily driver. I've been working on cars (both mine and others for years) so I'm not new to this.

A MX-5 RD wasn't even on my list of contenders but fit my requirements almost completely (I just wanted a targa top too, but the fold down metal roof if close enough..
Also, Hi!

Old 05-15-2018, 09:58 AM

Wow. you are asking a lot from one car. I would start with a shop that modifies Mazdas to see if what can be accomplished will match your expectations. I am not sure that it will. Mazdas are not drag cars by definition. They are best at races that involve a lot of turns (in my opinion). They are also great for local winding public roads.

Flyin Miata may be a good place to start to figure out what is possible.

Good luck

Old 05-15-2018, 10:02 AM

While a Flying Miata will certainly be quick, ain't no way it would qualify as a drag car.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:43 AM

Shipo: I concede your point. I was thinking that if anyone could make a drag and drift car out of a Miata, it would be Flyin Miata. I think there are far better starting points than a lightweight perfectly balanced and some would say under-powered car for either drifting or drag racing.

By the way, I failed to answer the first question. YES they are fun to drive. I don't get a chance often enough, however, I have driven every generation. Every time I get in a Miata, I feel like I have driven it my entire life. It is perfectly designed around the driver and feels completely natural.

Old 05-15-2018, 12:10 PM

Agreed

Old 05-23-2018, 08:07 PM

Zozo, several tests of the MX-5 show 0-60 in less than 6 seconds. That is pretty damned good, but it won't win at the drag strip. Explosive acceleration isn't what the Miata was designed for; but I guarantee you, everyone at the drag strip will want to borrow your car. The Club model has an impressive suspension, and is more fun than any car I've owned in 25 years.

Old 06-10-2018, 03:01 PM

Drag racing is usually bracket racing (at least where I go) so it doesn't matter how fast your car is. You race the clock, not the other car.

Old 07-21-2018, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by zozo
I'm looking at getting a 2018 MX-5 RF grand touring as my next car
You can't leave us hanging like this. What did you end up with?