Mazda Miata (MX-5) This compact RWD model, offered with many engines options for those are who want to cruise with the top down in a base model, or hit the track in one of the high performance models, has been a popular model since its introduction.

99 Miata Cold Weather Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 05:58 PM
Unhappy 99 Miata Cold Weather Start

Can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Perhaps someone can help.
Here's what I have.
My 99 got new plugs and wires in the summer along with a new battery and cleaned out that intake hole the causes that EGR Code. She ran great after that. Last couple of cold nights she would start OK but pulled away a little rough. Lasted about 3 minutes at most.
Now this morning with frost all about her, she would crank and crank and crank but would not turn over. Had a remote start installed in the summer and that works great. Would not start it. She just cranks. Tonight when I get home I will try it again.
Any ideas?

Old 12-07-2012, 05:59 PM

Just got home and tried it with no success. Its about 50 degrees out but very wet. Somethings up.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:23 AM

No start condition. It cranked, that means it turned over but would not fire up.
You need fuel, air, and spark to start.
You worked already on spark by replacing plugs and wires. But here is more (I don't know your exact engine): coil pack, maybe a distributor with cap and rotor? Inspect and replace when in doubt.
If you have a distributor take the cap off and see if the rotor moves when a helper starts the engine. If it does not move the timing belt may have broken.
Timing issues: the injectors are timed by the cam position sensor and the spark is timed of the crank position sensor. (Test, clean, re-use, replace if needed).
Air: filter, MAF sensor, AIT sensor. Clean these with the proper sprays. Dont't touch the wires of the maf sensor with anything but the stream of spray. Look for vacuum leaks, in particular if you had rough idle before. The Air intake hose is prone to cracking.

Fuel: listen for the fuel pump, listen to the injectors, test fuel pressure.

Let's see what you find and report back.

Last edited by tanprotege; 12-08-2012 at 10:26 AM.