Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

Tire Pressure Monitoring System Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 11:49 AM
Default Tire Pressure Monitoring System Issues

Has anyone had any issues with the Tire Pressure light coming on when the weather gets a little cold? I haven't taken my car in yet (Grand Touring AWD) but I did take it in awhile ago due to a punctured tire. The service manager was questioning me as to if my tires were low or not and I informed him that yes indeed one tire was going flat. He told me that the monitoring system on the CX9 is touchy and that it will go off when the tire pressure drops due to colder temps. It seems to be the problem for me, but it sure is a pain to have that light on and have to check the pressure everytime - it's cold!! Is this something that has been recalled and I can get fixed to only work when there is truly an issue?

Old 10-19-2007, 09:27 AM
Default RE: Tire Pressure Monitoring System Issues

Check your spare tire pressure. Some have a sensor on the spare and some do not. The spare tire being a bit low can cause this problem and nobody ever thinks to check it so they throw up their hands and give up.

Old 10-24-2007, 03:18 PM

When the light comes on we have no idea what tire is low?

Craig

Old 10-24-2007, 03:19 PM

Is there an aftermarket reader that will tell us the actual pressures?

Old 10-24-2007, 03:30 PM

What happens is that when the outside temperature drops below 60 degerees fareinheit, it is normal for the tire pressure in the tires to go down. The TPMS is so sensitive, everytime the temperature drops, the light goes off. The tire pressure is okay on all the tires, it's just lower due to the temperature change. So what do I do? Do I fill up the tires when it's cold to make it the right pressure - then when it gets warm, they're over inflated? Or is there a recall or way to adjust the TPMS so it only does this if 1 tire is low...

Old 10-24-2007, 06:59 PM

I thought that the tire pressure rating is for cold tire pressure? Meaning that you check your tire pressures when tires are cold..

Craig

Old 10-24-2007, 10:11 PM

Sorry - when the temp goes down the light comes on. I just filled up all my tires (which were all about the same pressure) to 38 psi. The temp out this evening was 70degrees. I hope the light doesn't com on tomorrow morning when it's 40 degrees.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:20 AM

I set the tire pressure correctly during the summer (high 80's) and haven't had the TPMS come on yet, even though the temp this morning was in the low 40's. The only time it has come on was when I actually had a tire going flat (nail through tread).

I believe I heard somewhere that you should lose about 1psi per 10F of temperature drop. Unless you set the pressure when it's the middle of summer and don't reset it until the middle of winter, I don't think the TPMS should go off. I thought the threshold was somewhat below 30psi.

Anybody have the factory spec's on the TPMS sensors?