Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

Please Help Me! Navigation Issues.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 12:45 PM
Default Please Help Me! Navigation Issues.

I purchased a 2008 CX-9 GT about 3 weeks ago. First off, I will say that I love the car. I am happy with my choice.

I am having issues with my Navigation and the dealer keeps ignoring me on the problem. I'm getting frustrated right now and hope that you can help. I think there is a problem with the POI's. It will pull up some POI's but many it does not pull up when my other 3 Navigations I have on other cars all pull up fine.
Here are 3 examples of POI's that I recently entered and none were found when my other navs all pull them up.

1. Toys R Us
2. Babies R Us
3. Hansen Surf

I live in Southern California (san marcos). When I try to type in Toys R Us, it stops at "TOY" and the key board is grayed out to where I can't enter anything and it pulls up some other store or shop and does not give me the option to pull up other places.

Can someone else check there nav to see if it does the same. It seems like everytime I type something to find, it works about 50 percent of the time. I have one $150 hand held Garmin NUVI device that I hook up to my CX-9 because the Navigation on the Mazda is pretty much useless.

Thanks.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:22 AM
Default RE: Please Help Me! Navigation Issues.

The difference is the POI Database. It's obvious the DENSO database that Mazda uses in their GPS system does not contain these stores you are interested in. As you have already found out, the usability of yoru cars GPS is cumbersome and non-intuitive. What revision MAP do you have in your system? Rev D and E are the latest. You can confirm this by popping out the DVD and reading the rev on the label.

My recommendation is toUse the CX-9’s built-in address book and add “Google” to your address book. Program in the free directory assistance Google 411 phone number 1-800-466-4411. Now you can do a GOOGLE Search while driving your car, hands-free!

Now you’ll be able to use the voice CX-9’s voice recognition system to dial the Google 411 voice recognition directory assistance and search by business name or category (food, gas station, movie theatre, CVS etc).

The system will verbally list the top listings with address, connect you automatically to the business, and even send you an SMS text message to your phone if you say “Text Message”.

This is an easy way to find those Points of Interest that the built-in GPS navigation system doesn't have.

All for free without any directory assistance 411 or operated-assisted wireless carrier fees!

Old 12-10-2008, 10:40 PM

I agree, theCX-9 nav is not veryintuitive,I also have a Nuvi 350 which I keep with me for POI searches and alt. route info.

howardru, thanks for your help earlier.This Google 411 tip sounds really cool, I'll give it a try too

Old 12-11-2008, 12:19 AM

ORIGINAL: howardru

The difference is the POI Database. It's obvious the DENSO database that Mazda uses in their GPS system does not contain these stores you are interested in. As you have already found out, the usability of yoru cars GPS is cumbersome and non-intuitive. What revision MAP do you have in your system? Rev D and E are the latest. You can confirm this by popping out the DVD and reading the rev on the label.

My recommendation is toUse the CX-9’s built-in address book and add “Google” to your address book. Program in the free directory assistance Google 411 phone number 1-800-466-4411. Now you can do a GOOGLE Search while driving your car, hands-free!

Now you’ll be able to use the voice CX-9’s voice recognition system to dial the Google 411 voice recognition directory assistance and search by business name or category (food, gas station, movie theatre, CVS etc).

The system will verbally list the top listings with address, connect you automatically to the business, and even send you an SMS text message to your phone if you say “Text Message”.

This is an easy way to find those Points of Interest that the built-in GPS navigation system doesn't have.

All for free without any directory assistance 411 or operated-assisted wireless carrier fees!

excellent advise, never new that was possible. im gonna try it.
i would also contact navtech to see if an updated nav dvd is available. the number should be in your owners manual

Old 12-11-2008, 06:09 AM

The MAPS are OEM'd from Denso by Mazda. They are not from Navtech. You will not find phone numbers for anything related to the navigation system. MAzda is useless.

Check out the other two message boards for the CX-9 and you'll read detailed info about what people have found out about map updates.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:44 PM

ORIGINAL: howardru

I must agree that the OEM Nav system sucks! It's just useless I would say, coz after paying that big chunk of $$ for that feature, I end up using my portable GPS going to places. Anyway Iwill ask the dealer if they already have the latest maps...but my question is, how do I get to make the DVD maps out? Is is located in one of those CD slots from the CD changer?

Old 01-08-2014, 02:47 PM

The amazing thing is that in 2009 people were already saying that the CX-9 Navigation system was useless..... and it is 2013 (actually 2014) the new models are STILL coming with useless NAV systems. Does Mazda even care?