Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

Howling Noise??

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 07:12 PM
Default Howling Noise??

Just brought home my new 07 Mazda CX-9 and noticed something I hadn't detected during the test drives. The sound of howling wind. When I go over 40 mph it sound like howling wind coming from the roof of the vehicle. My wife and I have concluded that it must be from the roof rack and crossbars, which were NOT on the test-driven vehicle. Has anyone else had this problem or have any suggestions other than simply removing the rack and bars? Thanks.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:45 AM
Default RE: Howling Noise??

I have the roof rack, but no cross bars. I have not had any issues with howling. Hope you can get it figured out.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:14 PM

Do you have a wind deflector for the sunroof? I've heard that they make quite a bit of noise, similar to what you are describing. I have the rails, but not the crossbars, and have no noise issues.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:44 PM

I, too, have the roofrack but no crossbars (and no sunroof) and I hear nothing of the sort.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:23 PM

Crossbars do create a substantial noise problem. Of course they run parallel to the wind and cause oscillations. My VW wagon had rails and I added cross bars for my Thule carrier. I left the crossbars on when I took the Carrier of f, because they looked cool. The damn bars whistled and hummed. I took them off and the noise stopped and MPG increased, according to me fuel computer, on my VW. Fuel computer on a CX-9, ha not expensive enough, not.

Old 10-27-2007, 01:36 PM

This is interesting because what good is the roof rack without having the
cross rails? I wouldn't want to load any cargo directly to the roof and scrach the paint. I'm picking my 2008 CX-9 touring tomorrow and it has no options except the roof rack and cargo cover.

vision1994

Old 11-08-2007, 10:05 AM

i guess this is why Thule and Yakima make those roof rack deflectors... I think they would be out of place on this vehicle. How hard is it to take off and put in the cross bars? We get our cx-9 tomorrow and have the roof rack. I'm thinking we may leave the crossbars out until we need them.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:32 PM

They are a cinch to take on and off, but it is a good idea to leave them off until you need them. 1. Gas mileage (minimal) 2. Howling.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:41 AM

So I just installed my cross bars this weekend. It is an easy install, and easy removal procedure. The instructions specifically mention moving both crossbars to the rear of the vehcicle when not in use. This is where I tightened mine down and I am not having a noise issue (and I have a sunroof).

-- Eric

Old 01-22-2009, 11:44 PM

salter, note tachicardia's replythe cross bars are both to be slid to the back of the roof rails and tightened there when not in use to avoid wind noise.

Quick Reply: Howling Noise??