Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

Millions of tiny specs all over windshield of new CX-9

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2022, 05:40 AM
Default Millions of tiny specs all over windshield of new CX-9

Hello all! We purchased a 2022 CX-9 GT in late January. We now have about 1,500 miles on it. From the beginning, I’ve noticed millions of tiny specs on the windshield. When the direct sun shines through, it makes it so difficult to see through it. I’ve had one dealership try to remove the specs with no success. They told me it was likely rail dust from transport. Is this a quality issue? I can’t get the specs off and wonder if it’s a defect. Anyone else have this issue and, if so, what did you do? I’ve never experienced this before.

Old 05-02-2022, 01:38 PM

When the direct sun shines through, it makes it so difficult to see through it.
This is a safety fault. Missouri's Lemon Law says, "The lemon law covers any default or condition that impairs the use, market value or safety of the new motor vehicle to the consumer." And, "The same nonconformity has been subject to repair four or more times by the manufacturer or its agents, and the nonconformity continues to exist; or The new motor vehicle is out of service by reason of repair of the nonconformity by the manufacturer, its agents or authorized dealer for a cumulative total of 30 or more working days." Missouri Rev. Stat. section 407 .560 to 407.579.

Tell the dealership that if they can't fix the problem that you'll file a Lemon Law complaint with the state for Mazda to buy the car back from you. Contact Mazda North America, (800) 222-5500, about your problem and the likelihood of a Lemon Law filing. They'll either find a way to adequately clean the windshield or replace it. A written notice to Mazda North America is needed to actually start the Lemon Law process, but try just a phone call at this time.

Old 05-02-2022, 03:41 PM

I planned on taking it back to the dealership we purchased from. We’ve had it in once already at a different dealership due to a trim piece that was popped out. They tried to clean it and couldn’t. I’ve cleaned it several times and it seems to get no better.

Thanks for the advice, I’ll definitely look into the issue and not give up on it. At the cost of these vehicles (esp paying sticker price), I expect better.

Old 05-03-2022, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by adrianne679
I planned on taking it back to the dealership we purchased from. We’ve had it in once already at a different dealership due to a trim piece that was popped out. They tried to clean it and couldn’t. I’ve cleaned it several times and it seems to get no better.

Thanks for the advice, I’ll definitely look into the issue and not give up on it. At the cost of these vehicles (esp paying sticker price), I expect better.
It sounds like you need a replacement windshield, if the dealer isn't willing to replace it contact Mazda corporate and open a case.

Old 05-03-2022, 09:23 AM

Unfortunately, that observation and the glass is normal because of the specification in the hardness of the glass. Don't be surprised if the dealership does not warranty it. Even aftermarket glass does that. Not everyone notices it because the sun needs to be at a set angle and as it raises, or sets will change in a matter of a few minutes. This has been the case now for years. You can contact auto glass companies and they will tell you the same thing. Your insurance company also should advise you that this is not covered and also should have reports of similar complaints.

BTW starting a MAZDA complaint will yield the same information. The certification on the windshield has the information that you can go to the NHTSA | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration which would be first place to air your complaint. They have many similar on file. Unfortunately, as I said its normal and not warranty or bad glass issue and I am sure they will also explain this to you or anyone else.

The Lemon Law does not apply in this case either.

But its worth the learning exercise to do them all... HA!

Last edited by Callisto; 05-03-2022 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-03-2022, 02:16 PM

Callisto, I agree with you if the specks are damage created by rock impacts over time--when it's bad enough this is covered by one's comprehensive or glass coverage on their car insurance. If the problem was delivered on the new vehicle, then that is a different matter. The windshield should have been cleaned suitably if possible or replaced before it was delivered. It is unfortunate that the buyer didn't notice this on the inspection before the car was accepted. You get what you inspect, not what you expect.

Old 05-03-2022, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by PTguy
Callisto, I agree with you if the specks are damage created by rock impacts over time--when it's bad enough this is covered by one's comprehensive or glass coverage on their car insurance. If the problem was delivered on the new vehicle, then that is a different matter. The windshield should have been cleaned suitably if possible or replaced before it was delivered. It is unfortunate that the buyer didn't notice this on the inspection before the car was accepted. You get what you inspect, not what you expect.
How would they know because unfortunately it is only seen when a extremely bright light and at a very narrow and specific angle. So we going to have the windshield replaced because of waves that cause distortion on the curves of the glass.
Windshield glass has come so often as a thread topic of concern over the years on many forums. The reality is that the glass is manufactured with the best quality control and material as at required be Federal automotive manufacturing product guide lines. I might suggest learning how a "WINDSHIELD GLASS" is manufactured.
You would be surprised is you actually do the research how many glass qualities there are and even many windshield and auto glass supplier don't even know this information. They think you buy an OEM or the bargain replacement both will have the SAFTY seal of meeting the OEM requirement on them , at least here in USA. But there are big differences in the finished product. Thickness, hardness, wave or distortion formation, clarity etc.

I should have been a bit clearer and not narrowly suggested that it could have only been contact damage from debris on the windshield in my last response. While I didn't and should have said it is somewhat rare for a badly manufactured windshield based on the shear millions of vehicle numbers manufactured, I should have at least asked the question if the OP saw the imperfection on the surface which can seen and felt or in the glass itself which can not be felt and very difficult to see or produce the correct lighting to see. Naturally these are 2 different things. But like the picture I posted if the tiny specs are not surface and in the glass and can only be seen with a set of specific situations and conditions this is by all accounts acceptable in the industry. If it is surface then I doubt any replacement would be given under a warranty guidelines of the product or part.
Getting it replaced under warranty anyone should NOT demanding, and maybe going into the dealer ship early in the morning when the sun is hit the exact angle that the imperfection can be seen and maybe you will have a dealer simply replace it as a good gesture. MAZDA may not cover it or reimburse the dealership but the dealership might simply want to satisfy thier customer?. But I am pretty sure pursing it with MADZA Corp they will likely deny the claims because it would start a precedent to replace windshields.

My response as always was to present information that I know factual and experienced to help at least in this case prepare the OP should he follow a direction of complaining to several sources what the outcome will more than likely be.

Last edited by Callisto; 05-03-2022 at 04:02 PM.