Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

Fuel injectors

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by lovettgb
Thanks for all of the replies here.
For the reply from Grim Reaper, I have tried one Australian based Company, Boyce's Auto-library, but haven't heard back from them yet. Are there any that you would recommend?

https://mazdamanuals.com.au/

Old 02-22-2022, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by lovettgb
Thanks for all of the replies here.
For the reply from Grim Reaper, I have tried one Australian based Company, Boyce's Auto-library, but haven't heard back from them yet. Are there any that you would recommend?

For the reply to Callisto and PT guy, I definitely question that diagnosis. A little more background on the car, so the codes that popped up for this condition were, P0172, P0300, ,P0302, P0421. The car runs rough at idle, like it's going to die, and you can definitely smell the gas/rich smell in the exhaust and sometimes it barely starts. Once I get going and up to speed though, the car runs fine, like you would never know something is amiss other than the check engine light being lit up. Also, the problem is random. Sometimes all go out and start the car and it idles/runs fine for a 30 mile trip on the freeway, but then as soon as I pull off the freeway and come up to the stop light, it idles rough.
The exact words from the dealer were, "verified coils and plugs operating as intended and found spark plug #2 to have excessive amounts of carbon build up due to injectors not operating as intended. Recommend replacement of fuel injectors, related gaskets and fuel pipe needed for replacement. Repair estimate: $2307.22"
One thing I forgot to mention was an induction cleaning was also wrapped up into this cost estimate.
Those DTC need to be cleared the car driven and then checked again at or about 50-75 or when the engine check light returns whichever comes first.
I would also at this point be doing a fuel pressure check. But in steps based on volume.
Something is suggesting to me that your fuel injectors are not the problem. But with your posted information so far its only a extreme guess I my parts. There is too much information that is being added because the DTC may not have been cleared (monitors re-set) and recheck in a procedure that would narrow down where to start looking instead of a quick blanket assessment that the dealership IMHO obviously did?
Now we understand why the labor/[arts estimate was so high!!! Look at the estimate again and deduct the intake cleaning service.

Look if this helps, I get customers often that bring me estimates for a service charge based on what found in less than an hour of diagnosing. More times than not when I or my guys actually look at the problem, we find they were incorrect on the assessment of the issues and what needs to be done to correct it. Sometimes my customers get mad at me for the dealership mistake when I need to charge them an hour for diagnosing the "REA" problem. LOL They argue that they already paid that from the dealership? LOL

Originally Posted by PTguy
Why clean the air intake system for fuel directly injected into the cylinder? I know that on some car makes & models carbon can build up on the back of the intake valves. I haven't heard that this is a problem on our cars. Has this been viewed on your car? If it hasn't been seen, it needs to be seen before the money is spent for the job. I would never give this dealership any work.

If injector #2 is bad, why replace them all at this low mileage?
The carbon on intake valves is still a concern for Skyactiv engines. I myself still see signs of it wanting to start but have things on my personal engine that stop it, except for the PCV system which I am working on.

You can go by cost of parts because that varies GRAETLY and there is way too many variables to do a comparison's cost of parts only really applies if it is a DIY service anyway.

As for replacing them all while I have not looked for this MAZDA specific information in ALL Data (professional shop subscription) there is some cases that it is suggested to replace ALL the fuel injectors instead on only one for cost value?

Old 02-06-2023, 02:59 PM

Hey lovettgb, what did you end up doing here. i have the same exact symptoms. Thanks

Old 02-06-2023, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by ocjason
i have the same exact symptoms. Thanks
Welcome to the forum.

Old 02-07-2023, 11:14 AM
Default Fuel injectors

Originally Posted by ocjason
Hey lovettgb, what did you end up doing here. i have the same exact symptoms. Thanks
I ended up having the dealer replace all of the fuel injectors and a carbon flush of the system of which it was really dirty. Seems to be a problem with this motor. Not sure if any service bulletins or recalls have come out since then but I would recommend the carbon flush maybe every 40 or 50,000 miles.