Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

CX-9 vs. MDX vs. Highlander: Need some advice...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 11:44 AM
Default CX-9 vs. MDX vs. Highlander: Need some advice...

Hi. I'm new to the forum and need some advice. Currently drive a 2005 MDX that won't die. Plan on giving it to my son and finally upgrading to something newer. I'm wary of the new MDX models (2016-2019) since folks are complaining about the 9-speed ZF transmissions and a number of recalls/TSBs. I've been toying with the idea of a late-model Toyota Highlander, which get great reviews and don't seem to break. But, I've widened my scope to include the CX-9. Everyone seems to really like theirs and Mazda has a good reputation for driveability and build quality. I'd like some feedback on what to look for in a used CX-9 (2016 to 2018) and if anyone has concerns about the only engine available being the turbo: My son's Volvo ('the money pit'), which I'm getting rid of, is the I-5 turbo and has been a huge headache. What is the long-term ownership perspective of these turbo motors? Is 200,000 miles realistic with good routine maintenance? I pretty much do everything to my cars, short of requiring a transmission jack, so I'm also interested in how much effort there is in things like fluid changes, brake jobs, filter swaps, etc... Thanks!!

Old 08-31-2019, 02:10 PM

Im also looking at cx9, mdx, gle,
if Atlas gets two rows version I will buy right a way. If Tiguan gets V6 I will buy it right a way.

Im afraid its too early to know, its a new engine so time will tell. And 200K highway miles can be so different vs 70K short trips miles.
Turbo likes to cool off after the drive, who is waiting for a few mins before turning engine off?

With cx9 so far what I know:
Brake pads are too small, not a big deal but you need to replace them.
Old engine had issues with water pump, must be replaced around 100k. not sure about this one.

Old 09-02-2019, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by DanD.
Im also looking at cx9, mdx, gle,
if Atlas gets two rows version I will buy right a way. If Tiguan gets V6 I will buy it right a way.

Im afraid its too early to know, its a new engine so time will tell. And 200K highway miles can be so different vs 70K short trips miles.
Turbo likes to cool off after the drive, who is waiting for a few mins before turning engine off?

With cx9 so far what I know:
Brake pads are too small, not a big deal but you need to replace them.
Old engine had issues with water pump, must be replaced around 100k. not sure about this one.
DanD - Same type of questions here. I believe the current engine has a timing chain, not a belt, so the maintenance will be different regarding 100k mile service. Questions about the long-term viability of a turbo-4 are justified. (Though, after reading about the Volkswagen Atlas and intermittent electrical issues, I'm staying away from that one.)

Old 09-02-2019, 05:57 PM

VW is a brand you lease, not buy. The experience of myself and friends is a lack of reliability due to poor engineering. The latest VW scandal I've heard of are gasoline engines rigged to run dirty when off the test machine. https://www.reuters.tv/v/miy/2017/05...asoline-engine

My 202,000 mile Volvo 850 turbo was rock solid. Only normal by-the-book maintenance. Still running strong when I sold it.

My 2016 CX-9 has been flawless. The design and implementation are what they are...like it or leave it. I like it. The turbocharger is designed for family use, not just enthusiast use. No problems reported, no cooling nor lack of cooling problems reported. The brakes are fine. Some drivers on some roads will wear any brakes quickly. Some crooked repair shops will pad the job with unneeded replacement of major parts that don't need replacement. If this CX-9 was stolen, I'd buy another.

Old 09-03-2019, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by PTguy
VW is a brand you lease, not buy. The experience of myself and friends is a lack of reliability due to poor engineering. The latest VW scandal I've heard of are gasoline engines rigged to run dirty when off the test machine. https://www.reuters.tv/v/miy/2017/05...asoline-engine

My 202,000 mile Volvo 850 turbo was rock solid. Only normal by-the-book maintenance. Still running strong when I sold it.

My 2016 CX-9 has been flawless. The design and implementation are what they are...like it or leave it. I like it. The turbocharger is designed for family use, not just enthusiast use. No problems reported, no cooling nor lack of cooling problems reported. The brakes are fine. Some drivers on some roads will wear any brakes quickly. Some crooked repair shops will pad the job with unneeded replacement of major parts that don't need replacement. If this CX-9 was stolen, I'd buy another.
PTGuy - Thanks so much for the reply. Good to hear that the CX-9s are so highly regarded by their owners. I have not driven one yet (it's on the list) but I did have a chance to drive a 2017 MDX yesterday. In the same price range of a CX-9, but it felt "boaty". Nice car but does not feel sprightly as I believe the CX-9 will feel, based upon what everyone is describing here. I also drove by a Toyota dealership and look at a Highlander. Didn't get a chance to drive one (they were super busy and closing early) but I would have to say that the build quality/fit & finish is no where near the Acura (and from what I remember at the Philly car show, when I looked at the CX-9s, same with the Mazdas. Much better fit & finish). The Toyota looked like any other Toyota, which is not a bad thing, but it's certainly not a luxury sport vehicle akin to the Acura or Mazda. I'm looking to drive the Mazda I found later this week so I'll let you know how it goes (dealer just lowered the price by $400 on their web site, so I think they are motivated to unload it...). Thanks!

Old 09-03-2019, 12:41 PM

As far as SUVs go, I've owned a 2003 Honda Pilot, 2011 Acura MDX, and 2018 Mazda CX-9 and the CX-9 is by far the best SUV we've ever owned. Loved the original Pilot but Honda lost it's way with later generations. The MDX was a logical next step but we were so disappointed in the long term reliability, fuel efficiency (on premium no less), and drivability (only saw this once we moved to a CX-9. It handles and accelerates like a sedan to me. The features that came with the signature at a low price point is hard to beat as well. We bought it used and have only had it about 12,000 miles but like the prior post, if it was stolen, we'd buy another one as well.

Old 09-04-2019, 11:11 AM

Doesn't the Acura compare with the Lexus, not so much with the lower level Toyota?

Honda has re-done the Pilot once or twice since 2003. It's worth a look as is the Highlander. I like my CX-9, but friends prefer their Pilot and Highlander. A buddy drove and likes my CX-9 but prefers his 2018 MDX. Kind'a like choosing between t-bone or NY steak or Cabernet or pinot noir...it really is all about you.