Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

Burning smell from new 2016 cx 9

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 10:04 AM
Default Burning smell from new 2016 cx 9

Bought cx-9 signature last week. Car wobbles at highway speeds (60-80) and also strong burning smell in compartment as well as outside. Did anyone experience this? Is this normal to have burning smell and wobbling with brand new car? Anxious..

Old 11-27-2016, 06:12 AM

The burning smell for the first couple of hundred miles is normal.
Oils and preservatives used to protect mechanical components are burning off ... particularly in the engine compartment.

As to the wobbling ... NOT normal.
I felt some vibration at highway speeds after getting mine.
All four tires were out-of-balance.
A rebalance by the dealership solved the issue.

Also note that the tires may "flat-spot" after the vehicle sits for a long time (a week or more).
This isn't serious, but is noticeable to me.
A short drive to warm the tires allows them to resume their shape.

Old 11-27-2016, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Turborascal
The burning smell for the first couple of hundred miles is normal.
Oils and preservatives used to protect mechanical components are burning off ... particularly in the engine compartment.

As to the wobbling ... NOT normal.
I felt some vibration at highway speeds after getting mine.
All four tires were out-of-balance.
A rebalance by the dealership solved the issue.

Also note that the tires may "flat-spot" after the vehicle sits for a long time (a week or more).
This isn't serious, but is noticeable to me.
A short drive to warm the tires allows them to resume their shape.
Thank you for the reply. Spoke to the dealer about the issues. Bringing the car to them in a few days.

Old 11-30-2016, 10:48 AM

There is also the possibility of excessive road force variation in one or more tires. The tires are not perfectly round, nor perfectly even flexibility at all points around them. Nor are the wheels perfectly concentric. If the stiff part of the tire sidewall (the road force variation) is inadvertently matched to the high spot on the wheel, the tire will bounce like it's out of balance even if it is correctly balanced. Any good dealership or tire shop can correct this if they know what they're doing and willing to make the small extra effort. Your dealership should take care of this, even if it means ordering a new tire for you.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radial_force_variation

Test drive the car immediately after leaving the dealership. Do not accept less than a very smooth ride. You get what you inspect, not what you expect.

Old 12-07-2016, 09:51 AM

@PTguy. Thank you for your advice.

so mazda service people said that they did road force balance on all the tires. R/F and L/R tires were 25 ounces off. L/F tire was 75 ounces off and R/R tire was road force max out. R&R R/R tire. performed tire/rim matching procedure.

Result: the vibration is less now but is still there. Taking it back to service tomorrow.

Please advice. What could be the cause and what should be done now. Is it applicable for lemon law?

Old 12-12-2016, 12:10 PM

You need new tires, or maybe you have a defective wheel. In any case, they need to supply whatever it takes to get the smooth ride. Do contact Mazda USA if the dealership does not satisfy you.
https://www.mazdausa.com/contact-us

Old 12-12-2016, 12:22 PM

@ PTguy. Thank you for your response. I spoke to the dealer and they are trying to get approval from Mazda to change the tires. I also contacted Mazda and they said they will try as soon as possible.

Does any one have Falken tires on their CX-9 grand touring or signature and how it rides? My car wobbles the most (at all the speeds) in morning when its cold. did anybody experience this? I was told a mechanic that they are crappy tires and would normally wobble when they are cold. Is that true?

So pissed at myself for not testing this particular car before buying. lesson learned

Old 12-12-2016, 12:42 PM

The dealer just called and said that they contacted the district manager who said that the vibration should stop around 1500 miles. Does it make sense? did anyone had similar experience (vibration/wobbling?

Old 12-12-2016, 01:47 PM

No, it does not make sense. The only tires I've had vibration with were out-of-round Goodyears, and getting "adjustments" (warranty replacement) on those was the cure. I do not believe the 1500 mile cure. Call back, ask for the service manager (not just a service writer, but the manager of the service department). Ask him exactly what is going on inside the tires and why that will change within 1500 miles. (Do you know when a car dealer tells the truth?...when he's in the little booth and says, "Father forgive me....")

If the car is unsafe, do not drive it. And, the vibration/wobble is wearing all the parts connected to the wheels. Be business-courteous firm and demand a smooth running car.

I like the Falken CT50 tires very much on dry & wet roads. I do not use so-called All Season tires in the snow.

I do not agree with your mechanic. Original equipment tires are very good at what the car maker spec's them for. That usually is a very smooth ride, less so for tread life and traction. Years ago tires with nylon belts used to "flat spot" when they sat for several hours, then had an up & down bumping as the not-quite-round tires got warmed up. It went away in 25 miles or less. Modern tires do that very little or not at all.

Here's more about original equipment tires:
Barry's Tire Tech

Old 01-12-2017, 07:53 AM

Finally the dealer replaced my falken tires with brand new Michelin tires and the vibrations are gone. Thank you everyone for your guidance.