Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

The all-new Mazda CX-9!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 02:09 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by Troyrig

It handles just as you would expect a Mazda to handle. My friend has a 2010 CX9 and I had him drive it and give comparison notes. He said it handles and accelerates about the same as the V6.
Sorry, this is not correct. I currently have a CX9 2011 Sport and drive it yesterday right to the Mazda Dealer to take the Cx9 2016 demo driving. Was Sunday and I was driving without my family, no traffic, so I had chance to test the power of my current V6. The idea was to really compare the power (HP), torque, performance and difference by driving the old v6 and the new engine with 4 cyl turbo engine. So at the end I was able to drive both the old and the new with my mind ready to feel the difference.

Results:

From full stop, when you hit the gas pedal in the V6 you feel inmediate response, full power and a great torque feeling.

With the new engine, the first 1 - 3 seconds you feel "something is missing"... a really huge difference. But as soon as you get to 2000rpm and continue to add acceleration, the new turbo engine it's like crazy!!. I really like it!. It's amazing how the new cx9 handles this acceleration!. I had the same feeling when a friend drive with me his BMW i335 with twin turbo.

Perhaps when I get my new cx9, I can play with manual gear changes to achieve better response from full stop.

I test it using the Sport button, but this don't have any effect when you are at full stop at all. I believe the Sport button only allow your Skyactiv transmission to switch changes at higher revs.

I hope I express myself well. Sorry for my limited english. I'm at Mexico City.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:27 PM
M70

Just got my FWD GT this weekend and had only put 300 miles so far. A few remarks:

- Love the interior materials. Everything is top notch (Leather seats, Bose sound system, steering wheel, center console, etc.) except the slow start NAV system. I am happy not to spend another 4K for the Napa leather, Rosewood trim. AWD on the Signature trim is nice but I do not really need it here in SoCal.
- Drive like a small SUV. I had the Explorer Limited for a week and it looks big inside (even though the CX-9 is in fact a few inches longer) and the drive is so heavy.
- The exterior looks nice too. I first didn't like the grill but once you look long enough :-), you will love it!
- Love the lane keeping.
- Someone mentioned problem with passing cars on freeway with the new Turbo engine, I seem do not have such problem as the vehicle accelerated quickly when I tried to change lanes.
- Up to this point, I have not found anything that I do not like about the vehicle yet except the NAV system is slow to start up. I will keep everyone posted once I put more mileages on the SUV.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:57 PM

One more thing about the skyactiv-sense package...I wanted that driving assistance technology and didn't care which brand supplied it. I drove several brands hat I felt I trusted, and Mazda had the full package that I preferred--assumed reliability, comfort, fun to drive, quiet, and the tech package.

Turbochargers offer advantages--we put 200,000 miles on a Volvo turbo--but it has drawbacks. Mazda's turbo lag is about as minimal as it gets, but the lag is still a fact of life.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:58 AM

Getting my GT today or Monday! Looking forward to it!

(after someone rear-ended my 2006 Mazda6 and then took off, totaling my car. Grrr)

Old 06-24-2016, 12:35 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by markts
Getting my GT today or Monday! Looking forward to it!

(after someone rear-ended my 2006 Mazda6 and then took off, totaling my car. Grrr)
Wow, GT is amazing. Please post some photos!

Old 06-24-2016, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by ontcanuck
I am 68 and also have owned motorcycles my whole life. You are right our reactions are probably not as quick this is most likely will sway me towards the GT.
About motorcycle riders---you car drivers are protected in a steel cage as you drive. On a motorcycle we rely on our observations and reactions as protection. The smart riders monitor their ability to see everything they need to see and to correctly react. When something comes up that I should have seen, and I didn't see it, I notice and remind myself to do what it takes to spot potential problems better.

With this in mind, I know that I'm slowing as I age. For now and especially for the future, the driving assistance features may help prevent a crash. On the bike...I'll have to take that one year at a time and decide when to quit riding for my own safety.

The braking assistance passed its test. The Mrs. was driving when another car pulled close in front of her. She says she had things under control, but the braking assist did its job. It wasn't subtle, she said; it worked very well.

Old 06-24-2016, 02:16 PM

Here's what we don't like about the new car--
--lack of memory side mirrors and power folding side mirrors.
--poor layout of the cup holders.
--goofy nav routing in some cases.
--terrible Bose bass. Way too much and way too boomy. I want clear, clean bass that is at a realistic level just like good live music. Bose gives us boomy, muddy bass. I set mine at -4 on the setting scale. Sometimes I'd like more, but I can't stand the poor quality of the bass.
--20" wheels. That means expensive replacement tires and a poor selection of tires in this size.
--the looks are great, but what about a bump in front or back, say at a street side parallel parking spot...where are the bumpers?

So--if these are the only complaints, the car must be otherwise really good---and it is! Averaging 25 mpg in mixed driving, having fun driving it, glad we bought it.

Last edited by PTguy; 06-24-2016 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by PTguy
Here's what we don't like about the new car--
--lack of memory side mirrors and power folding side mirrors.
--poor layout of the cup holders.
--goofy nav routing in some cases.
--terrible Bose bass. Way too much and way too boomy. I want clear, clean bass that is at a realistic level just like good live music. Bose gives us boomy, muddy bass. I set mine at -4 on the setting scale. Sometimes I'd like more, but I can't stand the poor quality of the bass.
--20" wheels. That means expensive replacement tires and a poor selection of tires in this size.
--the looks are great, but what about a bump in front or back, say at a street side parallel parking spot...where are the bumpers?

So--if these are the only complaints, the car must be otherwise really good---and it is! Averaging 25 mpg in mixed driving, having fun driving it, glad we bought it.
Thanks for sharing.

Regarding the NAV, I even had issues using Waze a couple of weeks ago. It's difficult to find a 100% nice built-in GPS (my wife's Xtrail GPS is very nice). Almost always pick up the best route.

I see your explanation regarding Bose audio and was weird for me. According to some articles, Bose spend lot of time together with Mazda team designing the audio for the new cx9. I will get my new GT next week. I will test it (I'm an audio engineer and audio enthusiast).

Regarding the bumpers, you are right.

Old 06-24-2016, 04:43 PM

The rest of the sound spectrum is excellent. It is the bass that I find offensive.

I'll take another look at the subwoofer. It sits on the spare tire. I had it out one time to see how the spare and jack are stowed. Can the sub be put back wrong? It works, maybe it needs the correct ducting or something. I'll check.

To get to the spare & jack--
--lift off the rear storage cover
--lift out the storage compartment
--lift out the right rear storage cover
--lift out the right rear storage bin
--there's the spare & jack.
--take the lug wrench out of the tool kit, unscrew the bolt in the middle of the subwoofer
--unplug the subwoofer cable, lift the sub out and put it somewhere
--the tool kit has the lashing straps for securing a full sized flat tire while you drive to the tire shop on the mini-spare. You'll need the book to see how they want us to stow that full sized tire. The problem with just laying it in the rear while you drive is that if you need to make an emergency stop, the loose tire becomes a heavy unguided missile headed toward the front.

That rear storage compartment is a good place to stow a first aid kit, flares, reflective folding triangle, small tarp to kneel on, gloves-rags-tube of hand cleaner, jumper cables, tow strap, whatever else you might need.

Why learn how to change your flat tire if you never plan on doing it yourself? So you can direct a helper in the correct way to do it without damaging your car or hurting someone.

--update--
I took the subwoofer out, looked it over, put it back (hard to screw up, even an arrow pointing forward). The sound is the same. I'll try with and without the Bose Centerpoint surround sound and with and without the Bose Audio Pilot that analyzes the frequencies of ambient noise and claims to boost the music frequencies to make up for the ambient. I've never been a Bose fan anyway--their home audio speakers don't sound good to me and cost too much.

Last edited by PTguy; 06-24-2016 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:23 PM

I'm actually a Mazda Sales Manager and I have to say I was eagerly awaiting the CX-9 to drop from the factory. We received a signature and the Grand Touring in at the same time. I'm actually not a fan of the Signature interior color choice. I took the Grand Touring out for a drive as soon as it was ready and immediately fell in love.

I've never driven a car that is so smooth and responsive. It instantly won me over. The turbo is so quick and honestly the gas mileage is wonderful.

I'm a pretty big guy and I have a hard time even fitting in Tahoe/Suburban because I am all upper body. My head hits the ceiling in just about every car I've ever had/driven. The CX-9 is beyond perfect and the best part is my head doesn't touch and I have about 3-4 inches of head room with the seat all the way down and the passenger behind me will still have plenty of room as well. The only downfall is that I cannot see the heads up display except for the speed portion, which is at the bottom of the display. And that is with it adjusted all the way down.

Needless to say, I know own the the Soul Red Grand Touring that we got in and I have to admit, it is worth every single penny.

This vehicle and this engine specifically is a game changer for Mazda. I truly hope this engine is offered on the Mazda3, Mazda6 and even the CX-5. They'd see a tremendous increase in sales, especially on the CX-5. The 2.5L 4-cylinder barely cuts the cake and I love the CX-5. I've driven nothing but the CX-5 as my dealer car.

If you haven't driven the 2016 CX-9, you really need to. You'll find out just how much fun it is, but also the perfect family vehicle as well. Love the design on the second row to gain access to the third row-- even those with car seats. The only down fall is that the second row still doesn't lay flat, but I guess that is a CX-9 thing in general.

Quick Reply: The all-new Mazda CX-9!