Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

The all-new Mazda CX-9!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 09:01 PM
M70

Originally Posted by Troyrig
Sticker was $42,800 which includes destination charge. I paid about $41,000 after discounts.
Wow, not much discount from MSRP (BTW what kind of discounts that they offered to you?). I guess I gotta wait a little longer when more show up at the dealers. Another month or two perhaps?

Thanks!!!

Old 05-31-2016, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by M70
Wow, not much discount from MSRP (BTW what kind of discounts that they offered to you?). I guess I gotta wait a little longer when more show up at the dealers. Another month or two perhaps?

Thanks!!!
It's kind of complicated because my salesman is a good personal friend, so I got a friends & family discount plus $500 loyalty, a bump up in my trade in and a couple other things. So it's not as simple as saying I paid "X" amount. That's more or less what I got with standard discounts and I actually paid less. I was also able to place my order on March 1st. I'm in the Midwest which means east coast should see them this week maybe?

Old 05-31-2016, 10:36 PM
M70

Originally Posted by Troyrig
It's kind of complicated because my salesman is a good personal friend, so I got a friends & family discount plus $500 loyalty, a bump up in my trade in and a couple other things. So it's not as simple as saying I paid "X" amount. That's more or less what I got with standard discounts and I actually paid less. I was also able to place my order on March 1st. I'm in the Midwest which means east coast should see them this week maybe?
Thanks for sharing, Troyrig! I am aiming for 8-9% off from MSRP.

Enjoy your new SUV and keep us posted with the new info (what you like/dislike). Thanks again!

Old 06-14-2016, 04:08 PM
Default Leased GT last week

I leased a blue/sand GT last week in Virginia, my dealer's first CX-9 sale (they had 4 on the lot). I traded in my copper red 2008 GT with low miles for a price they were not happy to give me (their initial offer was $1,500 less). I leased for $545/month. I applied $750 Mazda loyalty cash to up front costs, and they threw in $750 in options (roof rail cross bars and Mazda remote start app) keeping the price at pre-options MSRP. I visited another dealer who claimed people were paying OVER MSRP, but my dealership doubted it. I imagine deals will improve as the month wears on, but I needed out of my car before a busy summer driving season.

Impressions after a week and 300 miles:

+
I LOVE the look of the car and I'm in love with the dark blue with chrome accents. I get comments and thumbs-up from strangers. The 20-inch wheels look great. I like that much of the interior and dash is black, even with the sand leather seats. I like the smaller steering wheel. The car feels much lighter and smaller than my 2008 CX-9. I'm pretty sure the cargo area is smaller, at least in height. The third row sits higher when folded down. The seats are more plush, feel more like luxury seats, and the interior more refined than the old model. I like the displays and the commander ****. Sound system sounds great. Car is much quieter than old CX-9, and doors feel heavier/more substantial. I like that I can manage the brightness what appears in the heads up display. The default is too busy, so i switched to current speed only. I love the radar cruise control.

+/-
The lane assist and lane departure warning only work part-time. They require fairly well-marked lanes to function, so best used on the highway. It is definitely not autopilot. I have lane assist set to the most sensitive setting, and I can barely feel the nudges. It will not steer your car out of the wrong lane - it's not strong enough. But it's an interesting gadget to have. The blind spot system is great and not too loud if you select the beep. All the sounds and beeps are unobtrusive, even the no seatbelt ding. I've been in Acuras and BMWs that drove me crazy with the alerts. The 4 cylinder engine feels light and nimble. No heft and grumble of a V6, but I don't miss it. The ride is quiet, except when you first take off and engage the turbo -- then it sounds like a CX-5. It's definitely faster than my old CX-9. The brake assist is a little scary when it activates (twice in traffic so far, tossing my purse, but I deserved it). Generally it only activates if you're not on the brake at all and approaching a car a good speed. You can ride close without issue, and pressing the brake seems to prevent it from activating.

-
The MPG for heavy city driving (usually in traffic) is not as advertised. The best I've gotten to is 20 MPG, but I'm currently averaging 17 MPG. Still much better than my 2008. There is more body roll when going around curves than the old CX-9, which is curious considering the wheelbase is supposed to be wider. Maybe they softened the ride a bit and this is the outcome? Still better than most cars, but I expected better handling over the old model. I'm still using Google maps for most navigation because Mazda Nav does not have traffic overlay, but the female voice is very soothing. A CX-5 owner warned me that the Nav chooses the worst routes all the time, and I've noticed that on a few occasions.

Overall very happy with my lease and relieved I waited instead of getting into a higher priced Volvo XC-90!

Old 06-15-2016, 06:05 PM

I'm interested to hear what CX-9 owners think of the automated braking issues that have been brought up in nearly every review I've read. Sounds like even at the most lenient setting, the braking is applied when it doesn't seem necessary.

I'm looking to become a first time Mazda owner, and would also welcome any feedback folks have on Mazda's helpfulness when dealing with issues like this (if it is in fact an issue) if it becomes problematic in daily driving. The last thing I want to have to do is fiddle with the infotainment system to toggle a setting every time I drive.

Old 06-18-2016, 02:31 PM

500 miles on our new CX9. Loving it.

I think maybe I've experienced the brake boost. It could be that I'm too chicken to give it a real test. Anyway, not obtrusive.

I like the lane keeping gizmo. I'd like a bit longer duration of the shake, but what it has is certainly OK. Yes, needs pretty good paint stripes, and loses them on tight curves.

We really like the radar cruise control. Even with no car in front, it is smart enough to downshift on long downgrades to hold the speed...smarter than most drivers.

The Falken (Sumitomo) tires are good on dry & wet, smooth and secure. The size is a problem for finding lots of choices in snow tires...just planning ahead for next Fall. I may get 19" wheels for that, more choices.

We're glad we bought it.

Last edited by PTguy; 06-18-2016 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-19-2016, 02:36 PM
Default 2016 cx9

I am a first time user of this Forum so hi. I am currently in the process of purchasing a CX9 but can't decide between a GSL or GT. Although the GSL has some of the tech features not sure if the extra cost is worth it. I am not in love with any GPS from any manufacture and love my Garmin so I don't need the GPS, any help here, thanks.

Paul

Old 06-19-2016, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Brendan Webb
I'm interested to hear what CX-9 owners think of the automated braking issues that have been brought up in nearly every review I've read. Sounds like even at the most lenient setting, the braking is applied when it doesn't seem necessary.

I'm looking to become a first time Mazda owner, and would also welcome any feedback folks have on Mazda's helpfulness when dealing with issues like this (if it is in fact an issue) if it becomes problematic in daily driving. The last thing I want to have to do is fiddle with the infotainment system to toggle a setting every time I drive.
I'm 3,000 miles in and it hasn't applied itself yet. I had a '14 CX-5 and currently have a '16 Mazda6, both have the braking system as well. The only time it ever has activated is when I come into the garage a little too fast without the brake peddle on. It does its job - sudden braking to avoid collision. But on all 3 vehicles it has never once been a problem in traffic.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by ontcanuck
I am a first time user of this Forum so hi. I am currently in the process of purchasing a CX9 but can't decide between a GSL or GT. Although the GSL has some of the tech features not sure if the extra cost is worth it. I am not in love with any GPS from any manufacture and love my Garmin so I don't need the GPS, any help here, thanks.

Paul
Your GS-L is like the U.S. touring package.

I bought the GT to get all the tech features. I like how they make my driving both easier and safer. I'm 70, still a good driver, and I'm aware how my responses have slowed. And...they'll only get worse. I have an advantage, as a motorcycle rider good observation and responses are critical, and I practice those and observe my actions constantly. I'm on a four day motorcycle road trip as I write this, 430 miles today on everything from winding mountain roads to freeway.

One can use the nav system or ignore it. It isn't the best system...picks some goofy routes...and a portable Garmin unit, or Google Maps may work better.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:26 AM

I am 68 and also have owned motorcycles my whole life. You are right our reactions are probably not as quick this is most likely will sway me towards the GT.

Quick Reply: The all-new Mazda CX-9!