Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

2019 FWD CX-9 All weather tire and Snow

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2021, 02:39 AM
Default 2019 FWD CX-9 All weather tire and Snow

Hello All,
I have a 2019 FWD CX-9 with P255/50-R20 all weather tire, Have not driven it on snow so far, and was planning to take it to Lake Tahoe and some skiing place this winter.
Would like to know how its performance is (FWD) on snow and Ice with all weather tire ?
I am planning to get a tire chain (again no experience), so was wondering if TCS needs to be turned off with chain ?
What is your opinion on front only winter tire vs chain (front) ? (I wish was there a tire rental place, 200$ each tire just for winter is expensive)
Regards
VB

Old 10-07-2021, 10:37 AM

VB,

Statistically, the best winter/snow performance on FWD vehicles is with a set of winter tires. In fact, I've seen videos of identical FWD vehicles compared side-by-side, with one outfitted with winter tires. The difference is staggering. Other tests featured winter tires on FWD compared to AWD with all-seasons. They're very close, if not on par.

I know you said winter tires (plus maybe the cost of an extra set of wheels) are pricey but they are seasonal and should last several winters. If you see more trips on snow in the future, this option might be worth it.

It is not recommended to install different tires on each axle, regardless of season type. You always want the same tires on all four wheels.

Old 10-07-2021, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by vigbal7
Hello All,
I have a 2019 FWD CX-9 with P255/50-R20 all weather tire, Have not driven it on snow so far, and was planning to take it to Lake Tahoe and some skiing place this winter.
Would like to know how its performance is (FWD) on snow and Ice with all weather tire ?
I am planning to get a tire chain (again no experience), so was wondering if TCS needs to be turned off with chain ?
What is your opinion on front only winter tire vs chain (front) ? (I wish was there a tire rental place, 200$ each tire just for winter is expensive)
Regards
VB

All weather are different from all season. I assume you have all season, not all weather. Be careful in the snow. Use gas OR brakes OR steering. Never two at a time. Go slower, you will be fine. There are lots of west coast drivers with no snow experience in tahoe. Lots of cars in the ditch too

You shouldn't require chains around Tahoe, would take a heck of a storm, but if you do they need to go on the front of a FWD vehicle. If CHP/NHP does put up the chain signs, put them on or turn around. You don't want to be taking a very expensive trip down the mountain on a flatbed. Make sure you test them first as not all cars can take chains, our '11 camry couldn't do chains on the rear due to the strut overlapping the tire. You will only be going 20mph with chains on so don't worry about TCS. It's not a smooth ride either!

Enjoy the skiing

Old 10-07-2021, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by normandelli
VB,

Statistically, the best winter/snow performance on FWD vehicles is with a set of winter tires. In fact, I've seen videos of identical FWD vehicles compared side-by-side, with one outfitted with winter tires. The difference is staggering. Other tests featured winter tires on FWD compared to AWD with all-seasons. They're very close, if not on par.

I know you said winter tires (plus maybe the cost of an extra set of wheels) are pricey but they are seasonal and should last several winters. If you see more trips on snow in the future, this option might be worth it.

It is not recommended to install different tires on each axle, regardless of season type. You always want the same tires on all four wheels.
Thanks Normandelli,
Did not know about ..not to mix different weather on each axle. I was watching some youtube where the person compares FWD with Winter tire on front to AWD. So assumed like chain one can install it on drive axle.
I stay in SoCal ..so winter tires are not used much, may be once in a year or two. So far never had to buy it.
Regards
VB

Old 10-07-2021, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Maxwell
All weather are different from all season. I assume you have all season, not all weather. Be careful in the snow. Use gas OR brakes OR steering. Never two at a time. Go slower, you will be fine. There are lots of west coast drivers with no snow experience in tahoe. Lots of cars in the ditch too

You shouldn't require chains around Tahoe, would take a heck of a storm, but if you do they need to go on the front of a FWD vehicle. If CHP/NHP does put up the chain signs, put them on or turn around. You don't want to be taking a very expensive trip down the mountain on a flatbed. Make sure you test them first as not all cars can take chains, our '11 camry couldn't do chains on the rear due to the strut overlapping the tire. You will only be going 20mph with chains on so don't worry about TCS. It's not a smooth ride either!

Enjoy the skiing
Hi Maxwell, Thanks a lot for pointing that out, I just assumed the OEM tires (Bridgestone) that came with CX-9 were 'all weather' ..assumed it without knowing the difference between it and all season (Sorry). Just went and checked the tire ..and found 'M+S' mark on it. So, I guess its all season ?

Thanks for the advice on gas, breaks and steering, one at a time .
Regards
VB

Old 10-07-2021, 05:31 PM

About the terminology:
All Season tires have a tread design that is geometrically defined. They are not tested on snow. Some, when fairly new, are pretty good on snow, some aren't, none are good on ice.

All Weather (not an official designation) tires have been tested on snow, although not a very rigorous test. They qualify for the 3PMS 3 Peak Mountain Snowflake symbol for Severe Winter Service. "Consumer Reports" tested some and found them good on snow but not on ice. They will give good performance on wet or dry pavement, but probably not the longest tread life. These are available from Nokian, MIchelin, Goodyear, and a few other tire makers.

VB, look at Laclede Alpha Trax winter traction devices. They are accepted by the CHP. They will be available at O'Reilly Auto Parts, perhaps tirechain.com, and other retailers. These go on the front of a CX-9, either FWD or AWD. https://lacledechain.com/alpha-trax/

Old 10-07-2021, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by PTguy
About the terminology:
All Season tires have a tread design that is geometrically defined. They are not tested on snow. Some, when fairly new, are pretty good on snow, some aren't, none are good on ice.

All Weather (not an official designation) tires have been tested on snow, although not a very rigorous test. They qualify for the 3PMS 3 Peak Mountain Snowflake symbol for Severe Winter Service. "Consumer Reports" tested some and found them good on snow but not on ice. They will give good performance on wet or dry pavement, but probably not the longest tread life. These are available from Nokian, MIchelin, Goodyear, and a few other tire makers.

VB, look at Laclede Alpha Trax winter traction devices. They are accepted by the CHP. They will be available at O'Reilly Auto Parts, perhaps tirechain.com, and other retailers. These go on the front of a CX-9, either FWD or AWD. https://lacledechain.com/alpha-trax/
Thanks PTguy, That was informative.
Laclede is a reputed brand, but not sure of their Alpha Trax, looks plasticky (with nylon strip). Was thinking of steel chain type.
Regards
VB

Old 10-07-2021, 09:31 PM

Just read this
https://www.mazdausa.com/static/manu.../04090602.html
"Use of tire chains on a vehicle equipped with P255/50R20 specification tires could cause interference with the vehicle body and scratching . If tire chains are to be used, replace both front and rear tires with P255/60R18 tires. Please consult an Authorized Mazda Dealer."
Does anyone have experience with this ? i.e. installing chains on 20in tire ?
Regards
VB

Old 10-08-2021, 01:07 PM

All-Weather tires are good all year round, and good in light snow and ice. If you plan regular visits to the mountains, I would get a snow tire.

I am on year 3 of running the Toyo Celsius all-weather tire. Works great for where I drive. They are a tad noisier than the average all-season, but worth it in not having to store and swap tires twice a year.

And I believe there is no clearance for chains on the 9's, so a sock or other traction device would have to be used.

Old 10-12-2021, 02:43 AM

Hi Bronco Boy, Thanks for the reply.
No, not a regular visitor to mountains ..and current tires have about 20k miles on it and still in good condition.
About clearance, eTrailer claims this Titan Chain Alloy Snow Tire Chains - Diamond Pattern Item # TC2324 chain is confirmed to fit CX-9, I hope there is not a significant diff between mine (2019) model and what they tested it on.
Their YouTube channel showed CX-5s ..but they may have 18" or 19" tire (I guess)
Regards
VB