Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

2015 CX-9 remote start in the cold morning, shuts off after few seconds

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2021, 04:22 PM
Default 2015 CX-9 remote start in the cold morning, shuts off after few seconds

Hello all! Long-time lurker here because we don't get much problems with our 2015 CX-9, except for now...

My family lives in the extremely cold Midwest. We get to sing digit negative temperatures in the mornings here... which may be connected to our problem.

The CX-9 is my wife's. I am the designated person to warm it up in the mornings because I leave the earliest. The remote start was working until about some day last week. When I press on the remote start, it only runs for a few seconds. So, I have to go out to start it manually and rev the accelerator a little, then I leave it to warm up. After about 10 minutes, I turn it off. My wife is successful to turn it on remotely when she leaves to work about 30 minutes after ot was shut off from my warming up. I have just just changthe battery a few hours ago. But when I tried to remote start, it still shut down after a few seconds.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Old 02-20-2021, 09:38 AM

Anybody? The dealership wants to charge an arm just to check.

Old 02-20-2021, 10:56 AM

When you said "it only runs for a few seconds", did you mean the engine actually fires and idles for a few seconds before cutting out and not attempting to start and just giving up?

When the engine cuts out, do the gauges on the instrument cluster stay lit - as though ONLY the engine died - or is everything turned off as it would be if you manually turned the engine off?

Just to test and hopefully isolate the culprit, avoid remote starting and instead manually start it for a few mornings and see how it behaves.

Old 02-20-2021, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by normandelli
When you said "it only runs for a few seconds", did you mean the engine actually fires and idles for a few seconds before cutting out and not attempting to start and just giving up?

When the engine cuts out, do the gauges on the instrument cluster stay lit - as though ONLY the engine died - or is everything turned off as it would be if you manually turned the engine off?

Just to test and hopefully isolate the culprit, avoid remote starting and instead manually start it for a few mornings and see how it behaves.
The car starts up, then after a few seconds it does. The instrument cluster stays on. But, it starts normal when we manual start.

Old 02-22-2021, 07:15 AM

Not really sure what to make of it. If completely bypassing the remote start in the morning eliminates the problem, then it's seems that feature is what causes the engine to die within seconds. And since you said the instrument cluster stays lit after the engine dies, it seems only ignition is cut off because restarting it fires up the engine right away - so it's not the fuel.

You did not mention if the remote start on your CX-9 is OEM or aftermarket. A dealership or reputable shop may be your best option to properly diagnose/fix the problem, unless someone else here offers a solution.

Old 02-24-2021, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by normandelli
Not really sure what to make of it. If completely bypassing the remote start in the morning eliminates the problem, then it's seems that feature is what causes the engine to die within seconds. And since you said the instrument cluster stays lit after the engine dies, it seems only ignition is cut off because restarting it fires up the engine right away - so it's not the fuel.

You did not mention if the remote start on your CX-9 is OEM or aftermarket. A dealership or reputable shop may be your best option to properly diagnose/fix the problem, unless someone else here offers a solution.
I truly appreciate your reply! The remote start did not come with the car, but is a Mazda brand item installed at the dealership as an add-on.