Mazda CX-9 This larger SUV adds a V6 option, as well as more cargo room, to the CX-7 option.

2008 CX-9 Clock Reset

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 02:23 AM
Adt

​​​​​I still have not found a fix. Everything else in navigation is working fine. I have driven hundreds of miles and GPS works, just won't display a time. Can't adjust time. I unplugged my car battery at 1:00 , plugged back in so the time in my dash is correct. But I can't adjust time any other way. Still displays --:-- on navigation.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:08 PM
Exclamation CX-9 --:-- Navi Clock Issue Solved? Help us Mazda!

I think I have found our issue. I think the common thread here is that we all had our battery disconnected for one reason or another. When the battery was reconnected the system started looking for information to set our clocks from the GPS system. Well there is a Y2K like issue with the GPS system that started on or around April 6, 2019. You can google "GPS Y2K" and find a few articles about it. the New York Post has a good article.

https://nypost.com/2019/03/07/y2k-li...ms-on-april-6/

I called the local Mazda dealer in Raleigh (Southern States) and tried to explain what I thought the issue was and to see if Mazda had issued any service bulletins about the clock and this GPS system time issue. The lady at the service desk had no idea and wanted to charge a $129 fee to check it out. In my opinion Mazda should have known about their cars with these units that could render the clock useless. This may also render the GPS function completely useless. It seems all Mazda had to do is issue a simple firmware update to remedy their coding fault. Let us not forget navigation was a hefty extra $$$ option back in 2008. I am the original owner of my 2008 CX-9 AWD GT.

This problem will most likely be an issue with ALL early to mid 2000's Mazda vehicles equipped with the $2,000 Navi options. CX-5 included.

Last edited by Czechsmix; 05-08-2019 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:18 PM

I've had my battery disconnected many times before this and there has never been any issue with the clock syncing with the GPS. However, since this issue has just come up it makes sense and warrants further investigation. Seeing as how the vehicle is 11 years old now, and is pretty much at the lowest depreciated value, I don't feel like it's an issue worth spending any money on to fix.

Thanks for leads though Czechsmix.

Old 05-10-2019, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by DFurdas
I've had my battery disconnected many times before this and there has never been any issue with the clock syncing with the GPS. However, since this issue has just come up it makes sense and warrants further investigation. Seeing as how the vehicle is 11 years old now, and is pretty much at the lowest depreciated value, I don't feel like it's an issue worth spending any money on to fix.

Thanks for leads though Czechsmix.
I agree. Money on this issue is a waste. Our apathy towards this issue is probably what Mazda is counting on. I am currently looking into solution for stereo replacements on Crutchfield. Might be a few months down the road. Once I make the upgrade I will post the results.

Last edited by Czechsmix; 05-11-2019 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:12 PM

Disconnect the battery and reconnect it at 1PM or 1AM if you are still up at that time. That is how I reset my clock now that the time will not sync.

Old 05-12-2019, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Zachery Keller
Disconnect the battery and reconnect it at 1PM or 1AM if you are still up at that time. That is how I reset my clock now that the time will not sync.
Great post. That is exactly what I did. It is a bandaid for the time. I'm wondering if there is any affect to the actual navigation function although we have moved to phones for navigation for several years now.

Old 06-15-2019, 11:42 AM

Thanks for solving this mystery! I couldn't figure out what was going on with my clock until finding this thread. Will go with the disconnecting/reconnecting battery at 1pm method. Hopefully a more straightforward fix will come up as it will get annoying every 6 months with daylight savings time

Old 08-12-2019, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Zachery Keller
Why at 1am or 1pm?

Old 09-24-2019, 01:33 PM

I have the same problem this week after replacing a battery. Please Mazda don't leave us hanging. I love my car despite its age! 2007 CX-9

Old 10-02-2019, 07:31 AM

JIntorcio - did you see Zachary Keller's reply below - he is the KING! Following his advice, i disconnected the battery again and reconnected the battery at exactly 1:00. So, after driving around for about a year with the time wrong, it is finally correct!

Last edited by Renate Herod; 10-02-2019 at 07:34 AM.

Quick Reply: 2008 CX-9 Clock Reset