Mazda CX-7 This sporty turbocharged 4 cylinder SUV combines the spirit of a performance car with the versatility of an SUV.

New 07 w/ AWD for $19-19.9k; should I buy it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 02:01 PM
Default New 07 w/ AWD for $19-19.9k; should I buy it?

I'd not heard of this car before today (barely), but while at the dealership looking around I saw them desperate to offload some 07 CX-7s. The 2008s are selling at $6k off MSRP, so about 25k, but their two 07's with AWD (basic package, I think barebones sport) are for just under $20k. I've been considering subarus and the like, and no vehicle of this size with AWD is available new at this price range, that I can find.

I have read about the pretty bad mileage, so that's a concern. It seems worse than my 04's MPV. I also see a lot of first-year issues (07 being the first year). Still, full factory warranty for the car, and I was happy with how it drove. Is there anything huge to watch out for? I do keep cars for quite a while, so I'd keep it for several years.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:42 PM
Default RE: New 07 w/ AWD for $19-19.9k; should I buy it?

Hi Skoorbmax,

It is a really great car.
I have a Subaru Baja Turbo as well.

I have an 07 and the only real issues were updates in the software to make it better and a new fuel gas cap.
If you get the 07 just be sure all the TSBs have been done.

It stops, turns way better than my Baja. More room inside too.

With a few mods it really wakes up the power.
I have a larger ETS intercooler, Forge BPV and CP-E Cold Air Intake and it runs and sounds soooooo much better than stock!

Mileage will depend on your driving technique.
I get 22mpg doing 70mph on the freeway.
My normal city/highway is 19mpg.
My worse (wifes actually) is 13mpg.

The boost kicks in at 2300 rpm and if you can keep the rpm below this and use a light foot you can get this mileage too.
If you have a heavy foot this car is very sensitive to that sort of driving and it will kill your mileage.

Mine is an AWD so a FWD can get 1 to 2 more mpg than I can.

I really like the AWD though.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:37 AM

Thanksdo you use Premium gas? Apparently that is the recommendation.

I know this is much heavier and more powerful than the MPV, but I've gotten as good as 25-26 mpg on 87 with that driving it at 65-70 for long distances

I think this will compare with the 09 forester, although for the same price the forester would be the 170 hp version and absolutely barebones (plus it's ugly, but its mileage is a good bit better).

Old 01-12-2009, 05:30 PM

I disagree.
Functionally, it is a well designed car. The problem is the Mazda company and the dealers.
Granted the mileage is not great, but it is sporty. Watch out for the lean condition tsb which covers fuel pump low pressure issue's. Can ruin your turbo, and blow your head gasket from to high exhaust gas temps from this. It causes severe heat soak overheating!

The dealers that are not Mazda only can be problems. As seen on many forums. Mazda Corp and the tech line tend to be problamatic. Left hand not knowing what right hand is doing. Not well trained. Secretive to techs and customers.
Not honoring warranty concerns.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:34 PM

ORIGINAL: Skoorbmax

Thanksdo you use Premium gas? Apparently that is the recommendation.

I know this is much heavier and more powerful than the MPV, but I've gotten as good as 25-26 mpg on 87 with that driving it at 65-70 for long distances

I think this will compare with the 09 forester, although for the same price the forester would be the 170 hp version and absolutely barebones (plus it's ugly, but its mileage is a good bit better).
Yes, I ONLY USE PRIEMUM gas.

It is a sports SUV. It is not an econo-box. If that is what you want get a FIT or Geo Metro etc. It's mileage is what it is. Careful driving and you can get 22 mpg on the free way too. But you still have the power when you want to play or need it to pass or get out of someones way.

The Forrester is a great car. I looked at them too but found them to be just too boxy for me. Turbo Forrester is a good car though. I went out and also purchased a Turbo Baja as I wanted a bed out back for dogs and junk. They do not have all the Nanny software the Mazda has. The Turbo Baja gets 26+ mpg routinely and does not appear as sensative to driving style as the CX is.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:28 PM
Default CX-7 AWD... Run For Your Life!!

I cannot recommend the AWD CX-7 of any year for any reason!!

Yes, the car is totally cool. Until you are traveling down the highway between 65 and 75 mph and it starts to vibrate like a paint-shaker. You think you have a square wheel!
I have been doing battle with Mazda for almost a year now. For Mazda, the "customer experience" is to take your money, smile and run.
MazdaUSA has declared that this is "normal" for an AWD CUV. Everyone who has ridden in it disagrees and I've tested a lot of other makes... none of them do this nor have I been able to find a post anywhere for any car with this problem!

Also, any of you reading this that have a AWD... I need to hear from you. I am trying to build my case with Mazda that this is not an issolated problem.

Last edited by Maavalous; 02-01-2009 at 10:49 AM.