Mazda CX-7 This sporty turbocharged 4 cylinder SUV combines the spirit of a performance car with the versatility of an SUV.

Cx-7 cutting off while driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 02:28 PM
Angry Cx-7 cutting off while driving

I have a Mazda CX-7 that is cutting off while driving. No warning lights such a check engine or battery lights are coming on, car is not making any funny noises, no funny smells or smoke. Car was cutting off randomly but now occurring more frequently. Because no service lights are coming on mechanic is unable to hook it up to diagnostic machine because it will not kick out any codes. This is so scary... Can anyone please offer any help, advice, or suggestion.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:28 PM

check the fuel pressure while driving, fuel pump in the gas tank on mine was bad, just wasn't getting any gas.

Old 05-02-2018, 04:09 AM
Super Moderator

2.3 turbo or 2.5 non-turbo?

You need someone with a decent scan tool that can monitor PID's while driving.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:33 PM

more than likely it is water in the fuel. every time the water reaches the fuel injector the engine cuts out because water is not combustible and it leaves no codes. go to your local auto parts store and ask for something that removes water in your gas tank. pour it in and should solve the problem.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:59 PM
Default bad crankshaft position sensor

I just fixed the same problem by replacing the crankshaft position sensor. I've had the exact same problem since I bought mine back in October or '17. The day after I drove it off the lot it stalled on the way to work. It started right back up and the check-engine light did not stay on. The dealer agreed to look at it. They had it for a week...the service manager drove it home each night but it never would stall or show any codes. I drove it for another week before it happened again...just a random stall...no check-engine lights, no codes,(I have access to a code reader) and it would start right back up and run as smooth as ever.

It went about 6 months without a stall or any other problems...then it started again. This time it happened more frequently and sometimes took 2 or 3 tries to start. One day it just wouldn't stay running for more than a few seconds. Though now the check engine light would stay on but for only about 3 starting cycles and then go out. I finally got a code when the light stayed on: P0335 "Crankshaft position sensor A circuit".

It was about $50 and easy to replace. There is good access to it once you remove the right wheel and the plastic cover behind it(4 plastic tabs). Then two 8mm bolts and it's out. Just mark the position & take pics before you remove it. It has slotted holes so must be re-installed in the exact same position.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:56 PM

I had the exact same problem on my '08 CX-7. Exact same problem...the day after I drove it off the lot. I then went 6 months...Nov '17 to Apr of this year without an incident. Then it started acting up again...frequently... The check engine light would finally come on for about 3 start cycles (then go away) and I finally got a P0335 code....crankshaft position sensor. By then it was stalling almost every time I drove it.
The day I replaced the sensor I thought I would have to push it in the garage as it took 8 or 10 cranks to start. It started right up afterwards and ran flawlessly for 4 days then one day I went to leave work and it took 3 cranks to start it. But, now it's been over 2 weeks since that episode and it's ran fine. (it hasn't actually stalled, just wouldn't fire up right away that one time).
It was an easy enough job to replace the sensor so hopefully, maybe, I've got it licked.
The mounting holes are slotted so make sure you get the replacement sensor in EXACTLY the same position.

Last edited by wjwolfe82; 11-21-2018 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by wjwolfe82
I had the exact same problem on my '08 CX-7. Exact same problem...the day after I drove it off the lot. I then went 6 months...Nov '17 to Apr of this year without an incident. Then it started acting up again...frequently... The check engine light would finally come on for about 3 start cycles (then go away) and I finally got a P0335 code....crankshaft position sensor. By then it was stalling almost every time I drove it.
The day I replaced the sensor I thought I would have to push it in the garage as it took 8 or 10 cranks to start. It started right up afterwards and ran flawlessly for 4 days then one day I went to leave work and it took 3 cranks to start it. But, now it's been over 2 weeks since that episode and it's ran fine. (it hasn't actually stalled, just wouldn't fire up right away that one time).
It was an easy enough job to replace the sensor so hopefully, maybe, I've got it licked.
The mounting holes are slotted so make sure you get the replacement sensor in EXACTLY the same position.

UPDATE:
The same random stall starting occurring again...about a month after replacing the crank sensor. Reading/research suggested it may be the ECM. Instead of buying a new one I wanted to try to just re-seat the ECM connections. I did that and they looked fine...no corrosion or anything...both connections. To get to it though I had to remove the battery. I discovered then that my negative terminal was corroded all over the inside of the terminal. It looked squeaky clean from the outside but on the inside it was only making contact on about a millimeter wide strip on the top and bottom of the terminal. I reamed it clean with a dremel and haven't had a problem since. It's been about 2 months now and has fired up every time and has never stalled.
Got my fingers crossed.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by Cerise
I have a Mazda CX-7 that is cutting off while driving. No warning lights such a check engine or battery lights are coming on, car is not making any funny noises, no funny smells or smoke. Car was cutting off randomly but now occurring more frequently. Because no service lights are coming on mechanic is unable to hook it up to diagnostic machine because it will not kick out any codes. This is so scary... Can anyone please offer any help, advice, or suggestion.
ive the same problem. Changed fuel pump, hpfp, maf, coil packs, spark plugs, throttle body. Still occurs occasionally when i coast or come to a full stop.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Troy Morioka
ive the same problem. Changed fuel pump, hpfp, maf, coil packs, spark plugs, throttle body. Still occurs occasionally when i coast or come to a full stop.
Have you tried re-seating the ECM connectors? Check ground?
I've had over 4 months of trouble free driving since I did that. Good luck.

Old 05-15-2021, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Cerise
I get similar issue, I just finished my service like 10 days ago including recall issue, 2020 mzda3, and the car just died while I'm driving, I bring it back to service and they can't find any error, it's so scary. Cuz normally I often drive on the high way and there are lot of trucks behind. I'm still waiting for their reply.

Quick Reply: Cx-7 cutting off while driving