Mazda CX-7 This sporty turbocharged 4 cylinder SUV combines the spirit of a performance car with the versatility of an SUV.

Cold air intake now I am stalling on start up

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 09:36 AM
Default Cold air intake now I am stalling on start up

So I installed a short arm air intake from the turbo hose. Removed the old unit. Plugged in MAF sensor. It's sealed and everything is sealed. Ran hose from ram air to engine. Just like stock. On start up it starts then dies. Starts then dies. Half to push the gas pedal after a few starts and get it too keep idling. Let it run and let the computer to adjust. After that it's fine to drive. Overnight. It starts all over. Thinking I may need to plug a vacuum line maybe. Seems like it's getting way too much air. Let me know! Thanks

Old 06-29-2018, 06:09 PM
Default I'm gonna answer my own question for future users.....

Originally Posted by Mazdaboy75
So I installed a short arm air intake from the turbo hose. Removed the old unit. Plugged in MAF sensor. It's sealed and everything is sealed. Ran hose from ram air to engine. Just like stock. On start up it starts then dies. Starts then dies. Half to push the gas pedal after a few starts and get it too keep idling. Let it run and let the computer to adjust. After that it's fine to drive. Overnight. It starts all over. Thinking I may need to plug a vacuum line maybe. Seems like it's getting way too much air. Let me know! Thanks

Working on Honda's for several years. Never had turbo's. Buys a Mazda. Thought I'll do all the stuff I used to do to them on this turbo model CX-7. Turns out the turbo literally sucks in huge amounts of air throwing the MAF sensor off balance and the MAF and cpu butt heads and such.... Anyways. Played with it for a few minutes afterwards blocking off such vac lines trying to regulate air circulation and/or more and less air. Best advice.... Can't block of the purge line for vacuum. Turbo won't spoil. Same with intake manifold line. Runs rough. Changed out/blocked some air flow to the filter and it regulated better. Than found a filter that was not as high air flow and it runs fine now. With no ups and downs in idle till it settles and adjusts. Fires right away. Idles smooth.

Used an eBay $23/high flow filter and tube. Ran circulation line back to the intake manifold. Had to buy those sponge filter covers for overtop of the filter to regulate the proper airflow. And fab the factory MAF sensor and bracket that I cut out and ground down to fit into the eBay cold air intake. Hope this helps....