Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WIX Trans Filter WL 10379

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2023, 06:28 PM
Default Gasket

Looks like the same gasket but holes don't match my pan. If you go on Amazon it says this kit WIX WL 10379 is right part for my vehicle. Oh well!!
WIX Trans Filter WL 10379-f4y2qm3l.jpg
WIX Trans Filter WL 10379-ntedijml.jpg

Old 09-26-2023, 07:38 PM
Default Pan Different

I just noticed there is a small difference with my pan.There are some notches in rim of my pan circled in red.
Rock Auto has a HENGST filter kit( EG996HD565) for my CX5 however the gasket looks exactly like the WIX gasket. So probably won't fit my pan.
I think it's "FUBAR" for me.
WIX Trans Filter WL 10379-d5oi5mwl.jpg
WIX Trans Filter WL 10379-kgt33p7l.jpg

Old 09-27-2023, 09:52 AM

IDK??? I looked this morning at our shops records and we serviced a 2020 CX_5 and used WIX? So I guess Mazda must have changed the pan for some reason I don't know why? Not being able to have your year and model to look at up on the hoist I cant think of any reason for the change. It is also obvious either stock level have not been updated at the vendor level for the current application information or this is only some small amount of effected Mazda's with this new pan configuration?? It would need to be asked at a parts department level at a Mazda dealership?

Old 09-27-2023, 12:35 PM

After multiple searches I can find no gaskets anywhere for a 2021 Mazda CX-5 Carbon edition (turbo or N/A)
A couple non-Mazda websites said not currently available, but I couldn't find a pan gasket listed on any Mazda parts websites.
I did notice there are two different part numbers for a 2021 transmission pan, perhaps that is the issue?
FZC12151XA
FZ012151XB

Old 09-27-2023, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
After multiple searches I can find no gaskets anywhere for a 2021 Mazda CX-5 Carbon edition (turbo or N/A)
A couple non-Mazda websites said not currently available, but I couldn't find a pan gasket listed on any Mazda parts websites.
I did notice there are two different part numbers for a 2021 transmission pan, perhaps that is the issue?
FZC12151XA
FZ012151XB
Carbon edition is only the package amenity not running gear, rock auto has listing for the 2021 Mazda CX-5
Also I checked with Parts warehouse and its the same listing no notation of different gasket?

2021 MAZDA CX-5 2.5L L4 Filter | RockAuto

The pan OEM parts number do not cross into most aftermarket pans? And the OE only has a generic picture of both those part numbers?

So for me without seeing a part number advisory from Mazda or physically looking at them I personally have no answer.

Old 09-27-2023, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
FZC12151XA
FZ012151XB
That is the issue. My pan is FZC1-21-51X which shows the two notches around pan holes. The other pan does not have these notches and must have a slightly different configuration of pan holes.
Oddly, Both these parts show as fitting my vehicle.
https://www.mazdapartsfactor.com/oem...pan-fzc12151xa

https://www.mazdapartsfactor.com/oem...pan-fz012151xb

I called wix cust service.
Rep said they had no knowledge of 2 different Mazda trans pans. requiring different gaskets, and that Wix WL10379 is all trhey have for my vehicle.
Also called Mazda Corporate in Irvine CA. Cust. Rep. took all my info. and concerns, but I know she did not have a clue about this issue and directed me to contact my locat Mazda dealer.
At this point , I bought a tube of Permatex Automatic Trans. gasket maker #81180 at Napa. Will seal it up and hope for no leaks. This is a new one for me so wish me luck.

Question: Is the Permatex #81180 suitable, or is there something better that you all know of ?
Thank you all for your help and information.

Last edited by george m44; 09-27-2023 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-27-2023, 05:26 PM

Ok if you have done it yet:

Appy a thin coat on the transmission then a slightly smaller (about 1/2 the size) than what you would put toothpaste on your toothbrush on the pan.
Now this is important... wait until it tacks out. That is to say if you lightly touch it won't stick to your figure. Now carefully position the pan aligning them by eye with the transmission bolt hole. Push the transmission pan and start placing your bolts. Once you have all the bolts in lightly snug the bolts. Not to tight!!!! Now go away for about 10 minutes but no more than 15. Now you can snug the bolts tighter. You can also after tightening the bolts wipe off all the access sealer with a a few paper towels. Now let the sealer dry for about at least an hour, more is better. Then when you return double check the "snugness of the bolts one more time. Now and only now you can add the ATF.

PIA but you wont have any annoying dripping leaks.

Any sealer will do as long as it reads can be used for engine gaskets.
I prefer Case/Transmision sealer or Permatex Blue myself. But I have several other and they all for the general most part seal the same. the only time i am very careful is anything that will seal in high heat above 250F or some dissimilar components? Like plastic and aluminum.

Last edited by Callisto; 09-27-2023 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-27-2023, 07:05 PM
Default Trans Pan

Originally Posted by Callisto
Ok if you have done it yet:

Appy a thin coat on the transmission then a slightly smaller (about 1/2 the size) than what you would put toothpaste on your toothbrush on the pan.
Now this is important... wait until it tacks out. That is to say if you lightly touch it won't stick to your figure. Now carefully position the pan aligning them by eye with the transmission bolt hole. Push the transmission pan and start placing your bolts. Once you have all the bolts in lightly snug the bolts. Not to tight!!!! Now go away for about 10 minutes but no more than 15. Now you can snug the bolts tighter. You can also after tightening the bolts wipe off all the access sealer with a a few paper towels. Now let the sealer dry for about at least an hour, more is better. Then when you return double check the "snugness of the bolts one more time. Now and only now you can add the ATF.

PIA but you wont have any annoying dripping leaks.

Any sealer will do as long as it reads can be used for engine gaskets.
I prefer Case/Transmision sealer or Permatex Blue myself. But I have several other and they all for the general most part seal the same. the only time i am very careful is anything that will seal in high heat above 250F or some dissimilar components? Like plastic and aluminum.
Havn't done it yet. Tomorrow is the day.
Not sure if the various silicone gasket makers have different guidelines about set up and cure times. The stuff I got (Permatex # 81180) says to : Apply a continuous bead 1/16 to 1/4" to one surface. Assemble parts immediately. Finger tighten bolts until material squeezes out around flange. Allow to dry for one hour, then tighten to torque specs. Also, allow to cure for 24 hrs. before adding fluid.
I like your instructions above but the directions on product are a little different. What do you think is the best way to go here.
By the way, vehicle has been in garage with the pan off for 2 days. Total amount of fluid that has was drained and dripped out is 5 qts. & 23 ozs. Seems like a lot compaired to others on forum.

Thanks for all your help with this project of mine. I guess I have become quite a PITA with all this.

Old 09-28-2023, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by george m44
Havn't done it yet. Tomorrow is the day.
Not sure if the various silicone gasket makers have different guidelines about set up and cure times. The stuff I got (Permatex # 81180) says to : Apply a continuous bead 1/16 to 1/4" to one surface. Assemble parts immediately. Finger tighten bolts until material squeezes out around flange. Allow to dry for one hour, then tighten to torque specs. Also, allow to cure for 24 hrs. before adding fluid.
I like your instructions above but the directions on product are a little different. What do you think is the best way to go here.
By the way, vehicle has been in garage with the pan off for 2 days. Total amount of fluid that has was drained and dripped out is 5 qts. & 23 ozs. Seems like a lot compaired to others on forum.

Thanks for all your help with this project of mine. I guess I have become quite a PITA with all this.
This is the way I do it, that is the way I have my service tech's do it so we don't have costumers returning with small oil leaks and have to re-due the complete service.

Permatex at one time had the same instructions but I think as I said it is a PIA they were afraid to lose sales because of that type of procedure and change the application instructions.
Other suppliers of sealer seemed to follow the same way of thinking sales over a better way to apply their product?

Other words that many dropped in their product description or not as clear, 2 words because TARGET CONSUMERS most didn't understand their meaning. LOL
aerobic and anaerobic Both are VERY important when using any sealers or adhesives and glues.

w

Old 09-29-2023, 04:19 PM
Default Castrol Transmax

Callisto'
Is this the same Castrol Transmax that you use. The label looks different, however, ATF Applications show "Mazda ATF M-V, M-III, FZ"
Being that it indicates FZ, I would think it is compatable with Mazda FZ trans fluid. ? I just want to double ckeck before I put it in.
WIX Trans Filter WL 10379-xootq4e.jpg
WIX Trans Filter WL 10379-2er50bul.jpg
Thank You

Last edited by george m44; 09-29-2023 at 04:35 PM.

Quick Reply: WIX Trans Filter WL 10379