Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WIX Trans Filter WL 10379

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2023, 02:08 PM
Default WIX Trans Filter WL 10379

I will be ordering A WIX # WL10379 Trans. Filter & Gasket for my 2021 CX5 Carbon edition 2.5L (n/a). Was told by WIX Cust. service that this part fits 2014 thru 2024 model years.
I have read that some folks had problems with the gasket holes not lining up with the holes in the pan. Anyone on forum have issues with these filter gaskets ?

Another question: To use, or not to use gasket sealer when reinstalling gasket & pan ? I would rather just use gasket and torque pan bolts properly.
Thank You.

Old 09-18-2023, 02:26 PM

Ya I think I read that on the other forum as well the mixed DIY opinions about to use or not use sealer or gasket only debate. you did notice I said another forum and "DIY" lol

If there was a true case of gasket holes not lining up I would I think it may me either and generic gasket brand of more likely the person that can't install a gasket in the upside-down position. Meaning no coordination. It would be rare considering how WIX, , Fel-Pro, Moroso, Transdapt , etc to name only a few (top gasket makers) currently make their gaskets. Its all-computer program and the cutters are lined and checked by those programs frequently for accuracy in cutting and hole alignment. Unlike about 2+decades ago when they were still dependent on human interaction check and balances. And even then, it was rare that top suppliers of gaskets had alignment issues.

Don't use gasket sealer. if you are going to use the gasket. There is only one bolt on the transmission that needs either a tade bit of sealer on the threads only or to use Teflon tape/ Otherwise the gasket works and seal great. Using the sealer is more for the not using a gasket and sealer only. But that has its challenges if you don't apply it properly and do a proper torquing sequence after the tacking of the sealer.

Old 09-18-2023, 02:28 PM

Be prepared to find a lot of things you did not expect to find in t a new low mileage transmission. You may want to go look at my comments and pictures when i did the first filter service on the transmission.
Mazda3 Things I like to do - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Old 09-21-2023, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator

Mazda superseded the transmission for my 2016 CX-5. I went & ordered a replacement pan after I put a rock thru it. Found out everything changed and the new pad wont fit.

This could be what they told you about.

Old 09-21-2023, 06:44 PM
Default Transmission Pan Bolts ?

A few more questions: Can I reuse the 16 trans pan bolts or should I use new bolts ?
Are the pan bolt torque specs different if using a gasket ? If so what is recommended?
Thank You

Old 09-22-2023, 05:13 AM
Super Moderator

I've always re-used the bolts.

Old 09-22-2023, 10:58 AM

There is no need to replace the pan bolts. If you saw in my thread, I recommended I have reused them at least 4 times now.

Yes, it is advised to use a torque wrench on all fasteners.
If you use a gasket this will affect the torquing recommendations, so be careful, I am not sure there is a different recommended torque setting with and without a gasket on your model MAZDA.

Personally, I use the gasket and evenly snug the bolts. Then run the engine to get to temperature and re snug them again. Then I do a quick test drive of about 10-15 minutes recheck the fluid level, look for any leaks and double check the bolts again snugging. Now snugging mean just that, don't get carried away the gasket will do its thing just fine not to mention if you crush the gasket unevenly even using a torque wrench you are likely to have a leak at some point.

My experience on "snugging" torquing by hand and how to comes from almost never having a small block Chevy valve cover gasket leak on any of my engines. LOL I know a few know exactly what I am talking about!

Old 09-23-2023, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
There is no need to replace the pan bolts. If you saw in my thread, I recommended I have reused them at least 4 times now.

Yes, it is advised to use a torque wrench on all fasteners.
If you use a gasket this will affect the torquing recommendations, so be careful, I am not sure there is a different recommended torque setting with and without a gasket on your model MAZDA.

Personally, I use the gasket and evenly snug the bolts. Then run the engine to get to temperature and re snug them again. Then I do a quick test drive of about 10-15 minutes recheck the fluid level, look for any leaks and double check the bolts again snugging. Now snugging mean just that, don't get carried away the gasket will do its thing just fine not to mention if you crush the gasket unevenly even using a torque wrench you are likely to have a leak at some point.

My experience on "snugging" torquing by hand and how to comes from almost never having a small block Chevy valve cover gasket leak on any of my engines. LOL I know a few know exactly what I am talking about!
The torque spec (12 ft. lbs.) for pan bolts seems a bit much, I tested my new 3/8" click type torque wrench on a bolt held in my bench vice, it was a pretty stiff pull before the "click". Afraid of crushing the gasket. I am going to hand snug bolts and repeat after a test drive as you state above.

I know exactly what you are talking about. I had a 60 and 64 chevy's with 283cid engines. No matter what I did, (new cork gaskets, used Permatex gasket sealer), a small oil leak would start shortly thereafter. I probably over tightened the bolts and warped the valve covers. What did I know back then !

Thanks for sharing your experience & knowledge.

Old 09-23-2023, 11:14 AM

Then you can appreciate and know what this is?

Old 09-23-2023, 11:35 AM

but this one is modified to allow for adjusting the rocker arms on the small block chevy either hydraulic or mechanical while the engine is running without making a mess from oil spraying all over the engine.

Quick Reply: WIX Trans Filter WL 10379