Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Welcome To The Mazda Family... The New CX-5!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by CX-SV
Your gas mileage is close to what I'm getting, I typically use the CX-5 on weekdays to commmute in very heavy traffic. For a awd SUV that's about as good as it gets.

What vehicle did you replace and/or what are you comparing driving experience to?
it replaced her 03 v6 accord coupe, and I am used to driving my 05 scion tc. you have a point, but the thing is that its not that its got no power/torque, but i believe the ecu is programed purposely to a very sluggish acceleration unless you really floor it. just a guess. if they can make it more adaptive quickly but resets back to econ mode after every engine restart it would be cool.

all in all, i like the car. oh, and if we have led driving lights (like the ones on the new germans) it would be sweet!

Old 05-23-2012, 06:26 PM

Good guess, modern cars get best mileage in highest gears even if it seems like they are lugging somewhat.

EPA numbers are out for 2013 Escape now, so it's official CX-5 gets best mileage of all the compact AWD and FWD SUV's.

Last edited by CX-SV; 05-23-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:04 PM
Default CX-5 On It's Way

I have a red GT coming from Florida this week. Test drove CR-V, and CX-5. What I didn't like about the CR-V;

5 speed auto versus 6 speed
Parking brake pedal versus console mounted emergency brake handle
$4,000 more to get a driver's power seat in the CR-V
Visors do not slide to cover entire window when flipped to side windows
Much better styling on the CX-5

One thing that stood out was how much more road noise there was in my 2009 Honda Accord when I went over the same test route I had driven in the Mazda.

Someone mentioned lack of headroom in the CX-5 on another forum, I am 6'2", 275 and I did not see this. Plenty of headroom. Maybe he was in a sunroof vehicle?

Cheers

Old 06-23-2012, 11:42 PM

^ Congrats on you new red GT. Yes the power seat makes lots of headroom easy enough.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:07 PM

Anybody else get a new CX-5 over the weekend?

Old 06-27-2012, 03:49 AM
Super Moderator

If there is no I-stop in USA models, what engine/engines do you get?

Old 06-27-2012, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Currently only 1 engine available in US, the 2.0L normally aspirated gas engine. In early 2013 a diesel engine is anticipated for US.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Grim_Reaper,

All Mazda's around the world were shown all engine models and varieties and asked to drive them during pre-release in Iceland. Even media from various countries (including US) were invited to gauge the variances.

I think one thing was very clear between all the media and various Mazda country reps - the diesel was going to be a premium engine that was a *must have*. The US media reports (you can Google them), all raved about how much better the diesel was.

Unfortunately due to the weak US market and stigma attached to diesel engines there, Mazda USA was one of the only markets to decide not to pick up the diesel (this also affects Canada and Mexico).

Conversely the UK not only chose the diesel, but both variants of it. The UK also gets manual for all models (but that's the English market dictating that just as Mazda USA thought the American market would dictate no-diesel).

In Japan diesels have the same stigma attached to them. A lower percentage of drivers drive diesels in Japan that even the US.

While the US was turning their nose up at the diesel, Mazda Japan went a more intelligent route: They marketed the products successfully.

The result of informing the public that a new, clean diesel would be available and get MUCH better performance and fuel economy than the petrol was 8x the sales of the diesel domestically than they expected.

Be thankful that Mazda NZ was quick to choose the diesel as well.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator

The diesel hauls ****.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:55 AM

Here in Québec (Canada) we probably have the highest percentage of diesel in north america and still no diesel for us. It's a shame because with everything i read about the cx5 diesel model, it would be a hit here for sure.

I like my CX5 but if the diesel was avalaible here that's the one i would choose without hesitation.....hummmm 310 lb-ft of torque, i can only imagine how much more fun my CX5 would be with all that torque plus this engine is capable of getting 53.2 miles per gallon. This is the cleanest burning diesel engine without any "urée" gimmick like Mercedes does.

Quick Reply: Welcome To The Mazda Family... The New CX-5!!!