Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

TSB re 2021 Mazdas

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2022, 09:15 AM

The ECU will only store the DTC if the problem is not corrected. There are some ECU that have programing specific to see how the engine was "TREATED" but as far as I am aware none of the normal production Mazda's.
The monitors can hold fault information longer then a DTC remains with the check engine light and in some cases will show no stored DTC. But looking at the monitors will show if there is an active engine issue that the cycling has not seen corrected.

It is unscrupulous and dishonest and actually funny to suggest on a forum that people should reduce the oil capacity to cause that DTC. For one thing once you fill the oil back up to operating limits the DTC will be cleared (not stored) after the engine cycles 1-3 times. Some Auto Technician like myself like to note all the DTC and monitors and then properly reset them and run the engine or go on a short drive to see which DTC if any return. This gives a better idea where to start looking for the cause of the DTC or multiple DTC's.

Old 10-17-2022, 09:57 AM

I stumbled upon this tidbit of information regarding the TSB to repair the valve stem seals from another group:

Old 10-17-2022, 10:11 AM

Yes that is an important TSB to read carefully and also my last response goes along with the repair service item #1. ( BTW whomever the person(s) writing this TSB should have had it read by an ASE before posting it is technically not well written and does lead to conclusions.
Especially from outside MAZDA service world... lol
Plain and simple just because you get a DTC of low oil does not necessarily mean you have a vale stem seal issue and so one should not jump to conclusions before your Mazda is diagnosed!!

Unfortunately, some are jumping to the conclusion that because there is no oil leaking that they can see (not a service mechanic or technician) that it must be the valve stem seals?

Old 10-17-2022, 11:40 AM

To satisfy the TSB the car must arrive at the dealership with the DTC present (and no oil leaks).
I would hate to drive a car 30 miles with a known fixable problem (adding oil).
I wonder if a picture of my scan tool showing the code along with the LOW OIL light being illuminated would get me anywhere.

Old 10-17-2022, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by tidentenn
To satisfy the TSB the car must arrive at the dealership with the DTC present (and no oil leaks).
I would hate to drive a car 30 miles with a known fixable problem (adding oil).
I wonder if a picture of my scan tool showing the code along with the LOW OIL light being illuminated would get me anywhere.
No you don't need that.
Besides as I have tried to explain anyone can if they know how cause most any DTC to be triggered. It is not proof of anything. The DTC itself is not absolute proof there is any issue. That is what the diagnostic tree for finding the cause is for. Unfortunately, on forums people tend to skip around and assume things and start replacing undiagnosed parts hoping that the random chance they fix the problem. LOLs
You simply need to go to the dealership and have them log your VIN and get it documented about the concern. They will have your MAZDA looked at by a service "person" which will document the findings. Should they not find anything is not a problem because should the DTC or oil light return you have it already documented the with MAZDA. The second trip should be to leave your Mazda for the intended possible solution to the issue which is the replacing of the valve stem seals?

I understand we all think we know how to fix out OBDII and CAN-bus ECU controlled modern vehicle's but unless you have at least a night course in basic modern automotive diagnostic repairs having a scan tool only means you are better at adding problems that are not necessarily the problem.

Go to a Tesla forum and you don't see many members talking about how to resolve problem on a Tesla. LOL I DONT WORK ON TESLA'S. I have NO training whatso ever. LOL I am also certified ASE level L2 as Automotive diagnostic technician for diesel's.... IDON'T WORK ON THEM NOR DO I RESPOND ON THREADS PERTAING TO THEM. IMHO they sound and exhaust smells funny... LOL Nevertheless I took the test and passed it so now every 4 years for the last 30plus I include them in my re-certification as an ASE Master Technician L1 and L2 certified.

Old 10-17-2022, 01:28 PM

Thanks for the feedback Callisto

Old 10-17-2022, 02:02 PM

Thanks for the feedback Callisto
Your welcome.. BTW you can if you have any friend in a shop that is an ASE Master Technician give you a service order that verifies an active and reoccurring DTC that Mazda must at least enter in your VIN information. While they resist outside of MAZDA for warranty work, they cannot dismiss diagnostic's from a qualified ASE.
I know I fight with a few auto manufactures about this all the time. I win the argument on all but safety recalls. They are just stuck with if it isn't corrected by the OEM Dealer then it not going to be removed from the vehicle's information leaving an open safety recall present until an actual dealership signs off on it. . I sort of understand that one. On my own Mazda there is an open safety recall for the BCM. I purchased a new one using the shops account and replaced it myself. OK so... even a couple of my best buds on this forum( lol) could replace a BCM in most Mazda. It takes like 2 minutes and maybe a couple of simple tools. Mazda say they will not sign off on my recall even though I have the original part and showed a work order (I made for myself) showing the install with no problems? REALLY? LOL oh well.

Last edited by Callisto; 10-17-2022 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-17-2022, 04:42 PM

I can understand Mazda's position if it's company policy to have safety recall work done only in a Mazda dealership. Likely for legal reasons (in the incredibly litigious US of A) they want to keep the work in house.

Old 10-17-2022, 04:45 PM

Here is what the dealer put on the oil change service ticket. I didn't notice it until we had left. I called the dealer and Mazda customer service to explain that I had stated it wasn't below the MIN. Picture was taken 20 minutes after parking.

Old 10-17-2022, 05:05 PM

Here is what the dealer put on the oil change service ticket. I didn't notice it until we had left. I called the dealer and Mazda customer service to explain that I had stated it wasn't below the MIN. Picture was taken 20 minutes after parking.

Perfect!!!!

Quick Reply: TSB re 2021 Mazdas