Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

TSB re 2021 Mazdas

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2022, 11:19 AM
Default TSB re 2021 Mazdas

Since everyone is so helpful in here I wanted to make sure you are aware of this Technical Service Bulletin which qualified me for a free oil change yesterday at the dealership. Sorry for this bad link, but I have attached the whole tsb below.
Edit, looks like my link works after all.

MC-10203724-0001.pdf

BULLETIN NOTES
This bulletin supersedes the previously issued bulletin(s) listed below. The changes are noted below in Red. Previous TSBs: Date(s) Issued:
01-012/21 10/04/21
APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
2021 Mazda3 (Japan built 2.5T) with VINS lower than JM1BP******403639 (produced before September 14, 2021) 2021 Mazda6 (2.5T) with VINS lower than JM1GL******618910 (produced before September 15, 2021)
2021 CX-30 (2.5T)
2021 CX-5 (2.5T) with VINS lower than JM3KF******472325 (produced before September 14, 2021)
2021 CX-9 (2.5T) with VINS lower than JM3TC******541071 (produced before September 14, 2021)
DESCRIPTION
Some vehicles may have a “LOW ENGINE OIL LEVEL” warning message and a CHECK ENGINE light illuminated in the instrument cluster, along with DTC P250F:00 stored in memory.
• DTC P250F:00 - Engine oil level signal: engine oil level low
Upon inspecting the engine oil level, the level is found to be low and there doesn’t appear to be any trace of oil leakage in the engine compartment. This concern usually occurs when the mileage reaches approximately 3,100 – 4,700 miles (5,000 - 7,500km) and may also occur again after replacing or topping off the engine oil. The root cause of this concern has not been identified yet, therefore a repair procedure will be announced at a later date. Since this issue has been reported after a valve stem seal modification, it is very likely that valve stem seal damage is causing oil to leak into the combustion chamber.
REPAIR PROCEDURE
1. Verify customer concern by checking the engine oil level to verify that the oil level is low.
• If the oil level is low, verify that there is no oil leakage in the engine compartment.
○ If no oil leakage is found, top off the engine oil to the FULL level as a temporary measure or replace the
engine oil if service is due within 1000 miles or 30 days.
2. Verify repair by making sure the warning message and CHECK ENGINE light do not appear.
Page1of 2
11/29/2021 04:29 PM tlawrenc

3. Explain the following to the customer:
• A small amount of the engine oil may be leaking into the combustion chamber, causing the oil consumption. Mazda has confirmed this oil leakage into the combustion chamber will not cause any immediate engine damage and the vehicle may be safely driven. The warning message and CHECK ENGINE light will go off by topping off the engine oil level. This is only a temporary repair and as soon as Mazda identifies the root cause, a complete repair procedure will be announced. Mazda will top off or replace the engine oil at no charge until the complete repair is provided.
WARRANTY INFORMATION
• This warranty information applies only to verified customer complaints on vehicles eligible for warranty repair.
• This repair will be covered under Mazda’s Powertrain Limited Warranty term.
• Additional diagnostic time cannot be claimed for this repair.
Warranty Type A
Symptom Code 16
Damage Code 99
Part Number Main Cause 7777-SP-T37
Quantity 0
Operation Number / Labor Hours:
XXT6SXAX / 0.4 Hrs. (oil level check/refill and oil leak check)
Claim the engine oil (Max. 4.9 US qt {4.6 L, 4.0 lmp qt}), oil filter and drain plug gasket as related parts.
• If the customer has already paid the cost for topping off the engine oil outside of the dealer, claim for reimbursement entering the actual cost with the sublet code “Z9”.
Page2of 2
11/29/2021 04:29 PM tlawrenc

Last edited by Nearpost; 09-14-2022 at 11:21 AM. Reason: mistake
Old 09-14-2022, 05:57 PM

Anyone know if it means this will always be a concern every additional 3,100-4,700 miles or just the initial 3,100 - 4,700 miles? Like if I'm at 5,000 miles now I'm in the clear?

Old 09-14-2022, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by SouthBear
Anyone know if it means this will always be a concern every additional 3,100-4,700 miles or just the initial 3,100 - 4,700 miles? Like if I'm at 5,000 miles now I'm in the clear?
Southbear, the leak is expected to continue until it is repaired. My dealer said at some point Mazda usa will instruct their dealers to repair the leak permanently. Oddly, he told me it won’t necessarily be part of a recall, but rather an order to simply correct the problem. Keep an eye on your oil level and open a file with your dealer by having them document you are having this issue. They will check for the tell tale code when you go in to the dealership

In the mean time you will notice that Mazda USA’s TSB has been
Hi-lited in red ink to tell the dealer totop up your engine oil free of charge or depending on timing of your visit, a free oil change

Last edited by Nearpost; 09-14-2022 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-15-2022, 05:25 AM

The issue is even if they fix the oil leak, how will they address the carbon build-up from the leaking oil? The build-up on the O2 sensors and catalytic converter. My 2001 drips black and is staining the exhaust tips. I plan to trade mine in for one without bad valve seals. I just don't want to have to fight when it starts having carbon build-up and bad O2 sensors later.

Old 09-15-2022, 08:33 AM

There is another thread on this issue (it has been well documented and discussed here for many months) so really we would be best served to have this discussion combined....

https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...umption-48854/

Last edited by chickdr19; 09-15-2022 at 08:47 AM.
Old 09-15-2022, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Skisurf1
The issue is even if they fix the oil leak, how will they address the carbon build-up from the leaking oil? The build-up on the O2 sensors and catalytic converter. My 2001 drips black and is staining the exhaust tips. I plan to trade mine in for one without bad valve seals. I just don't want to have to fight when it starts having carbon build-up and bad O2 sensors later.
I’m pretty certain I’ve burnt one quart in 4900 miles over 11 months, going from mileage 4400 to mileage 9300 (Oct 2021 to September 2022) I believe I burnt similar when vehicle was brand new from mileage 15 to mileage 4900 over a 5 month period April 2021 to October 2021.
I don have any drips just black soot marks on paper when wiped inside exhaust pipes.
Does that spell trouble for my catalytic converter and O2 sensors ?
Thanks for any thoughts .

Last edited by Nearpost; 09-15-2022 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-15-2022, 06:41 PM

[QUOTE=Nearpost;207976
Thanks for any thoughts .[/QUOTE]
As I read that TSB the key to getting anything addressed now or in the future is to start now going to your dealer with any issue or problem suspected or otherwise having to do with oil consumption or a low reading on the oil sumps dip stick.

Any possible results of excess oil going through the combustion chamber and into the exhaust at this time is all speculation. Yes excessive unburned oil can eventually damage a CAT and generate a DTC, also monitors in fault not read mod and subsequent failing of the HO2's.

Old 09-15-2022, 06:50 PM

Cheers Callisto, hopefully Mazda will authorize the repair before CC or O2’s get damaged. I’m not sure if anybody knows what quantity of oil needs to leak or for how long before damage occurs. Thoughts on that always appreciated.

Edit: Hopefully no code (for cc or O2’s) means no damage?

Last edited by Nearpost; 09-15-2022 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-16-2022, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Nearpost
Cheers Callisto, hopefully Mazda will authorize the repair before CC or O2’s get damaged. I’m not sure if anybody knows what quantity of oil needs to leak or for how long before damage occurs. Thoughts on that always appreciated.

Edit: Hopefully no code (for cc or O2’s) means no damage?
That can't realistically be answered. The problem is that are to many variables. The good news is that if you get the oil consumption under control a CAT will self clean to some degree because of the normal operating temperatures that is if they do not get too carboned up. And then we are back to your question that cant be answered empirically! ha! .
The HO2s once they get fouled with oil its time to replace them.

Last edited by Callisto; 09-16-2022 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-16-2022, 10:23 AM

Thanks again, and thanks for clarification between O2 and HO2. So on to my question of the day 😎

I received an extensive report from the dealer the other day as part of their “full circle multi point” inspection. It was very thorough including detection of my dirty cabin air filter. However it didn’t list a code or make mention of the leaking valve stem issue. In your estimation does this leak issue throw a specific code, and if so, should it be on the inspection report?

Again, much appreciate your dedication to this forum.

Quick Reply: TSB re 2021 Mazdas