Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2022, 07:22 AM
Default Tire Recommendations

Hi all. I have a 2016 CX-5. Spent a fortune on Michelin tires four years ago and they already need replacing. Looking for recommendations on the best tires to get the longest life.

Old 07-30-2022, 12:16 PM

"Best tires" is purely subjective and therefor there really is no such thing or more precisely too many of them.
Everyone has their opinions often based on nothing more than brand preference.
Some people will swear by Michelin even on this website.
All manufactures make different tires within their brand as well.
The Michelin model tire you choose may not perform like any other model in their line-up.
Tire wear is based on driving habits, type of road surface, climate.
A major contributor of tire wear can be attributed to the condition of your vehicles suspension system.
After making sure your vehicles suspension and alignment and correct, I would suggest going with the manufacture who has the best mileage warranty/replacement options.

Old 07-31-2022, 07:08 AM

Might spend a bit of time on the Tire Rack website, specifically in their "Tire Ratings Charts & Reviews" section. You can call up a certain category of tires, then filter for your most-important features (such as tread wear longevity, rain ability, snow ability, etc), ranking them by how important those features are to you. Useful, if uncertain which tires might suit you.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/revie...surveyComments

As an example -- Grand Touring All-Season tires, ranking Tread wear as most important and Wet performance as next most-important:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve...dvTreadwear=25

According to that listing, customers suggest the Michelin Cross Climate 2 might be TireRack's best performer, at least for those two primary criteria. You can filter for different criteria, and it'll sort their list differently.

Last edited by GAsierra; 08-01-2022 at 05:38 AM.
Old 08-01-2022, 10:20 AM

I would swear by Michelin Defender tires. Purchased from Costco they have something like a 90K mile warranty, maybe 100K.

So, I am puzzled as to why your experience with Michelin was so terrible? What tire did you have? What was its treadwear rating?
Did you check the treadwear rating before purchasing them? Someone may contradict me on this but I won't buy a tire without a treadwear
rating of 600-800. That is what I go by. Damned everything else. And I just notice my brand new 2021 CX-5 came from the Dealer with tires
(I think they are Yokohama. Have to go out and check) with a 280 treadwear rating! I almost fell over when I read that on the sidewall. That is crazy!
Why would they put on a tire with a 280 treadwear rating? Maybe it gives a great ride, I don't know. But that would seem to indicate I will be changing out those tires within 50K miles (if that) even with perfect inflation, regular rotation etc.

Thoughts? Comments? Best, RMV

Hello Callisto! I disappeared! Ran off with a Cult but am back now!! Hope you have been well!