Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2020, 12:30 PM
Default Tires

I need new tires, What are your best tires for the CX5 ?
What tires you currently have on your CX5?

Thank you

Old 05-08-2020, 03:39 PM

Welcome!
You didn't state whether your CX-5 is a Touring or a Grand Touring (17" vs 19") so my reference may not be of any value. Our CX-5 is a 2014 Touring and came new with Yokohama tires. These were poor rain tires for an "all season" and began to dry rot and crack badly in the Florida sun before two years had gone by. In a word these tire were *^@! So in 2016, I researched "best bang for the buck" on The Tire Rack website and found that Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia was the tire for me. I WILL NOT PAY FOR MICHELIN's, OVER-RATED, OVER-PRICED TIRES so those were excluded from the get go. (The last quality tire that Michelin made was the original Michelin X radial back in the 1960's and they have been cashing in on the reputation of that tire ever since). I have had nothing but problems with any of their newer tires. That being said, the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia is now the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Plus Ecopia. These tires have been to North Dakota and back twice and are my wife's daily driver tires when not on the Interstate. Excellent traction with crisp cornering wet or dry and they even did well in light snow on our last ND trip. They are quiet & will run for hours at 90 mph feeling like your doing 50. For the money, you can't beat them IMHO.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...=Touring%20FWD

Old 05-08-2020, 04:07 PM

Sorry about that.
It’s a grand touring, 19 inch tires

Old 05-08-2020, 11:54 PM

I recommend doing some research on Tirerack.com and Discounttire.com. You can see reviews from actual buyers of tires they have purchased. Some of the brands I have been happy with over the years are Yokohama and Continental. Pirelli also makes great tires. The Korean brand Hankook has also made good inroads recently.

Old 05-10-2020, 09:16 AM

Tire rack is one of the best places to start your tour of what will work best for you.

There really are very few tires that are all together "BAD" and most of the reviews are from people with limited testing of various tires on the same vehicle. Most of their comparing goes from replacing tires that are worn so naturally anything they get is going to be better.

The tire industry drastically changed in and around the late 90's and even inexpensive tires from off branded tires can perform very well. Tire longevity and wear is directly influenced by how the user takes care of them. Location like the Philippines or the Gobi desert as extreme operating environments, if you keep the tires clean ,proper air pressure and occasionally use a conditioner they should give expected performance for their intend life with no manufacturing problems to speak of.

Naturally there are exception to everything and you can't please everybody and even new tires have a shelf life. But all in all the days of some brands prematurely cracking like in the late 70's early 80's are pretty much gone.

Conclusion I recomend is go look at tire rack call and talk to them about all you questions.
Whatever you do don't be swayed by negative reporting we all know you can't please everyone. Research for yourself or trust in the professionals at better quality tire retailers to help you make a choice that best fits all your needs.

Remember to have suspension system thoroughly inspected and when you do get your new tires have an alignment.

Last edited by Callisto; 05-10-2020 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:27 AM

@Callisto
RE: "But all in all the days of some brands prematurely cracking like in the late 70's early 80's are pretty much gone."
"Whatever you do don't be swayed by negative reporting we all know you can't please everyone."

So, just ignore the factual testimonial and experience of an actual product user.

RE: @3carmonte
"Our CX-5 is a 2014 Touring and came new with Yokohama tires. These were poor rain tires for an "all season" and began to dry rot and crack badly in the Florida sun before two years had gone by. In a word these tire were *^@!"

Old 05-10-2020, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by 3carmonte
@Callisto
RE: "But all in all the days of some brands prematurely cracking like in the late 70's early 80's are pretty much gone."
"Whatever you do don't be swayed by negative reporting we all know you can't please everyone."

So, just ignore the factual testimonial and experience of an actual product user.

RE: @3carmonte
"Our CX-5 is a 2014 Touring and came new with Yokohama tires. These were poor rain tires for an "all season" and began to dry rot and crack badly in the Florida sun before two years had gone by. In a word these tire were *^@!"
Honestly first there was nothing "factual" only opinion about your response!
As for the comment about my response LOL .... you choose a single part of my response that bugged you instead of the reading and comprehending my complete recommendations and suggestions?.
While I don't always post up my experience this is a picture of one of the shops I operated. I have personally Sold maybe hundred is not thousands of tires included are a few brands "BRIDGESTONE, BFG, Goodyear, Michelin etc. Have attended manufactures seminar by these manufactures as well participated at SEMA shows promoting them.

So unless you have some experience other then the line of response I posted I may have a bit more to offer for advise then most? Ya think? lol
I am not going to argue or debate with you .....

Old 05-10-2020, 03:04 PM

@Callisto - Fact: Re Yokohama OEM Tires - "... began to dry rot and crack badly in the Florida sun before two years had gone by."
I don't sell tires. I buy and use them.

Old 05-10-2020, 03:51 PM

LOL

Old 05-10-2020, 04:14 PM

Most any and all manufactured Tires still need to be taken care of. Less effort to maintain them will result in premature wear or ageing.

1. Maintain the proper air pressure
2. Have your tires rotated at least at or before 5,000 miles.
3. Get your alignment checked at least every 2 years or if you do suspension parts upgrading or depending on the parts replaced. Check with your service adviser for better specific information that pertains to your vehicle overall condition..
4. Wash and "scrub" the tires at least once a month to remove the dirt and more importantly the brake by product which can damage tires and cause premature weathering. Use a good product that will not dry out the material used in the manufacturing of tires. In other words do not use any product that has petroleum, alcohol or any product that has a chemical additive drying agent for their product. Simple green works very well for cleaning . Apply a tire dressing that has ultraviolet protection if none available use leather conditioner but nothing that contains petroleum or will give a gloss shine as they tend to have chemicals that will prematurely dry some components of the tire.

These few things done are not time consuming and will generally result in maintaining your tires performance and expected service life.

Statistically speaking by the shear volume of tires manufactured either top name brand or off brand tires the number of problems generally caused by low maintenance and not the environment they are operated. There has been a few tires in the last several decades that did have manufacture re-calls or quality control problems and a couple had defective mostly in cosmetics but the public was well notified and taken care of.

Closing statement based on experience selling tires...... you are always going to read or have that one "JOE" or "JANE" end user that will have problems with his/her tires but if you ask enough questions and check and inspect the vehicle in most all cases will find it was not really the tires problem of quality or manufacturing. You see some of us will look at all the numbers molded in the tires during their manufacturing .....
.................................................. ......and this my fellow members is a clue to ^^^^^^^ what I just said!

Depending on that customer attitude most of the time I would warranty the tire(s) for the customer.

Last edited by Callisto; 05-10-2020 at 04:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Tires