Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Sudden battery discharge on 2023 CX-5

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2023, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
I try I really do but you just like to always post things like this. Which is always the opposite of many my responses?
No your battery was not completely dead! A bad cell can discharge a battery but not down to registering 0 (ZERO) volts and ohms. If the battery was physically damaged, then maybe depending on the type of physical damage.

This is like all the people that still believe to this day the places a battery on the cement will discharge it.
I didn't contradict you at all Cali. Not sure why you like to poke fun at some members for posting their personal EXPERIENCES. The car would not do anything when the key was turned, so YES, it was dead....

I really try hard with you too my man, but you make it very hard to get along with silly comments like the "flat earth" thing. Just because someone isn't cowing to you doesn't mean they are wrong. My experience is my experience.

I suppose you will come back and say I was "trolling" as I didn't agree with you? LOL...

Last edited by chickdr19; 08-01-2023 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-01-2023, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
I didn't contradict you at all Cali. Not sure why you like to poke fun at some members for posting their personal EXPERIENCES. The car would not do anything when the key was turned, so YES, it was dead....

I really try hard with you too my man, but you make it very hard to get along with silly comments like the "flat earth" thing. Just because someone isn't cowing to you doesn't mean they are wrong. My experience is my experience.

I suppose you will come back and say I was "trolling" as I didn't agree with you? LOL...
Ok I understand. Perhaps I just read the literally meaning of the words and descriptions? But to my defense (so to say) many worded experiences are not accurate in the true physical sense. Maybe that will change when we meet some of these Aliens that seem to want to make contact with us more these days? LOL..
The flat earth believers is more to poke fun at people that seem to suggest, information and empirical information does not apply to them.
So I will respond with all the members that said, including you describing their battery was dead as your description for what happened.

But I am not going to stop with the silly comments and pictures on some threads maybe intended for a specific member or 2 as it is my way even in the real world

Old 08-01-2023, 07:21 PM

Yes, the world certainly needs more pretentious pr&*ks.

Last edited by paris1; 08-01-2023 at 07:25 PM.
Old 08-02-2023, 07:01 AM

Mazda's, like many new vehicles, come with crap tires and batteries.
My battery died before a full year was up.
It would hold a limited charge but would drop below the ability to start the vehicle depending on driving time and/or how long it sat.
I replaced it with a "real" battery and have had no issues since.
Had the same issue with a Honda CRV and Accord.

Old 08-02-2023, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by paris1
yes, the world certainly needs more pretentious pr&*ks.
lmao.

Old 08-02-2023, 10:35 AM

Yes, the world certainly needs more pretentious pr&*ks.
Not exactly sure whom you are referring. But based on past responses on this forum from you ...

Originally Posted by Lobstah
Mazda's, like many new vehicles, come with crap tires and batteries.
My battery died before a full year was up.
It would hold a limited charge but would drop below the ability to start the vehicle depending on driving time and/or how long it sat.
I replaced it with a "real" battery and have had no issues since.
Had the same issue with a Honda CRV and Accord.
If not so much the battery as the upkeep on the sales lot prior the sale of new vehicle. You would be surprised how many new vehicles get their batteries drained and recharged by way many times a fast charge starts and let the engine idle for 30-45 minutes early in the morning before the dealership opens. This reduces the effective and reliability life of most any battery.

Originally Posted by climbinglife
lmao.
Ya unfortunately on forums the higher percentage of members post less than the most accurate information about generally anything related to normal operating and failing of parts on any vehicle. So, the inaccurate disruption makes it very difficult to actually hep members when they see multiple posting of the same inaccurate information descriptions. Or they try to include operation in an abstract as if that is correct information. Example all modern vehicles from about 2016 will have a constant draw of power to operate onboard electronic and can reduce the battery voltage lower than the minimum voltage to operate them. This would be accurate, but the missing part is once the voltage drops below the required power/voltage or amp to run the component it will no longer reduce the battery voltage or amps. This means a "dead batter" will still have some volts or amps but not enough to turn on a single light bulb. It also means that it will take more effort to bring the battery back to life.
Case in point and ongoing event.... Airport every day and several hundred to the thousand need a jump to get their returning passengers picking up thir vehicles in the parking lots both long- and short-term parking. And it is more predominate with newer vehicles. However seldom if ever do the batteries need to be changed out because of discharging below while being parked for a length of time. The batteries in ALL cases that need to be replaced because of a discharge as talked about in this thread and often the case is because the battery itself was already on the verge of failing a basic load test and on its way out needing to be replaced in a short time regardless of the discharge event!

I think you mentioned something in one of your responses?? lol

Old 08-06-2023, 09:58 PM

Anyone having battery discharge problems on this year's CX-5? Car has a build date of 1/23. Wife parked it for four hours the other night and when she came out it was stone cold dead. I jump started it and drove it 15 miles home, which was enough to charge the battery and there have been no further issues in the last week. Dealer checked it out and said the battery was fine and they had no idea what caused the discharge since there are no recalls or SSPs (Special Service Programs) on the vehicle. I have read elsewhere that there was an SSP issued for a software bug in the remote tuner module sometime last year which caused this kind of battery drain, but I have been unable to determine if any CX-5s were involved.
Have a 2023 with 500 miles ( build 6/23 ) and a weeks worth of stop & go's . No issues of any kind - I had a 22 CE - which on multiple occasions I would grab a gym bag or other item in tow from the front seat passengar side and bump the overhead light.. ...thus having it turn on until returning and noting its being on - took some sleuthing to find out I was doing ...but it also times out if left on for hours - even then didnt kill the battery ? Hope its a one shot issue

Old 08-06-2023, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by retread888
Have a 2023 with 500 miles ( build 6/23 ) and a weeks worth of stop & go's . No issues of any kind - I had a 22 CE - which on multiple occasions I would grab a gym bag or other item in tow from the front seat passengar side and bump the overhead light.. ...thus having it turn on until returning and noting its being on - took some sleuthing to find out I was doing ...but it also times out if left on for hours - even then didnt kill the battery ? Hope its a one shot issue
Don't know about the 2023, but on my 2014, the front overheads will automatically turn off after a few minutes when the engine is shut down and the doors closed, but the back seat lights won't automatically shut off. Don't know about the cargo light. I found out about the rear seat lights when my wife apparently hit one and left it on. It killed the battery after about a day and one-half.

Old 08-06-2023, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by schmieg
Don't know about the 2023, but on my 2014, the front overheads will automatically turn off after a few minutes when the engine is shut down and the doors closed, but the back seat lights won't automatically shut off. Don't know about the cargo light. I found out about the rear seat lights when my wife apparently hit one and left it on. It killed the battery after about a day and one-half.
There's been a few times where when I was putting on my windshield sun visor at night in my CX-5, I hit the overhead switch to turn on all the interior lights and left it on when locking the car. The car definitely kills the power after a few minutes otherwise my battery would've been toast on multiple occasions. Pretty much every vehicle made these days should have that feature. I'm glad that's the case because in my old Ram 1500 the hood had a light underneath which came off the holder overnight, and I was going to show it to the guy who ended up buying it the next day. Needless to say I was relieved when I got it jumped and running that morning...

Old 08-07-2023, 08:25 AM

Found the answer on another forum https://mazdas247.com/forum/t/brand-...ery.123879700/. What this guy’s wife did is no doubt same thing mine did. Let this be a lesson for all who think that everything shuts down in a CX-5 after 30 seconds! (Especially a current vintage example) And a sidebar for Callisto: See how productive and helpful a civil exchange on one of these forums can be!

Last edited by paris1; 08-07-2023 at 08:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Sudden battery discharge on 2023 CX-5