Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sudden battery discharge on 2023 CX-5

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2023, 02:38 PM
Default Sudden battery discharge on 2023 CX-5

Anyone having battery discharge problems on this year's CX-5? Car has a build date of 1/23. Wife parked it for four hours the other night and when she came out it was stone cold dead. I jump started it and drove it 15 miles home, which was enough to charge the battery and there have been no further issues in the last week. Dealer checked it out and said the battery was fine and they had no idea what caused the discharge since there are no recalls or SSPs (Special Service Programs) on the vehicle. I have read elsewhere that there was an SSP issued for a software bug in the remote tuner module sometime last year which caused this kind of battery drain, but I have been unable to determine if any CX-5s were involved.

Old 07-31-2023, 02:47 PM

My new 2023 CX-5 has a build date of April 2023 and I have had the automobile for two weeks and two days. I have not had this issue, nor any issues, but will keep a look out for it. There are only 504 miles on the vehicle.

Old 07-31-2023, 03:39 PM

At this point if they load teste the battery and found no obvious concerns and the battery drain has not reoccurred ...hate to say it but something was left on!
I might add that a description STONE DEAD is not exactly a good one. There needs to be a bit more like the engine would not turn over, there were no dash lights no interior light ect... but not stone dead. Do the math if the battery was hot charged @ 13.50+ volts while it was running and stabilized to 12-1250 after you tuned off the engine. A voltage drain in 4 hours is a LARGE drain if there was no power to anything!

Old 07-31-2023, 04:04 PM

You don't have to "leave something on" in a modern vehicle to have the battery discharge. Besides, what doesn't get shut off automatically within 30 seconds after the engine is shut off on a new Mazda?! As for what kind of parasitic drain might cause such a condition, read this https://www.cx30talk.com/threads/bat...gram-new.3638/. As for the accuracy of my usage of "stone dead", you're right, I took some license in describing the events. What actually happened was, after four hours or so, the engine would not turn over, interior and dash lights were flickering, gauges were twitching like crazy, there was an intermittent buzzer going off behind the rear seat and a relay of some sort clicking under the hood. Mazda roadside assistance sent a guy out with a "starter box" which didn't have enough juice to turn the engine and he didn't have a jumper cable. By then it was 10 in the evening and we were 15 miles from home and my jumper cables, so we (manually) locked the car and left it in the middle of a relatively secure parking lot and came back the next morning. An by then, it was "stone, cold dead". Not a light or a beep to be seen or heard. But fortunately, the jumpers worked and after an initial hesitation, it fired right up.

Last edited by paris1; 07-31-2023 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-31-2023, 04:54 PM

Something was left on or not shutting off when you shut it down . Check and see if the amp for the audio system is staying on .

Old 07-31-2023, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by THE CHIEF
Something was left on or not shutting off when you shut it down . Check and see if the amp for the audio system is staying on .
He said it has not repeated so that will be hard to do now!
The amp would not have drained it in that short a time unless they had the music turned up... a lot...
Maybe you did not read all the responses close enough... look what I posted it becomes a simple math equation with the first posted informtion!
When and if it repeats which at this point again if you read the responses not likely!

Guesses on electrical problem NEVER helps and is many time a hindering to finding the any problem quickly or quicker!

Please don't try to apply any kid of armchair logic on this one and re-read the fist post again at least OK Chief!

Old 07-31-2023, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
At this point if they load teste the battery and found no obvious concerns and the battery drain has not reoccurred ...hate to say it but something was left on!
I might add that a description STONE DEAD is not exactly a good one. There needs to be a bit more like the engine would not turn over, there were no dash lights no interior light ect... but not stone dead. Do the math if the battery was hot charged @ 13.50+ volts while it was running and stabilized to 12-1250 after you tuned off the engine. A voltage drain in 4 hours is a LARGE drain if there was no power to anything!
I could use that to describe what my wife's CX5 did last week. I should have gotten the Volt-Amp meter out, but didn't. No lights, no crank, no dash. Got the lithium jumper out and hooked it up. Still no start, but it completely drained the jumper (Took a day and night to recharge it). Called AAA and they jumped it, but it wouldn't take and hold a charge. I exercised my Premier membership option and they put a new battery in at no charge.

The same thing happened back in 2018 and they replaced the battery for free. I guess I can't complain for five years on a free battery followed by another free battery. Of course, I do pay for the membership, but we also use their other services for things.

Old 08-01-2023, 10:48 AM

most all vehicles cannot drain a battery below 1-1/2 volt or less. (see amp requirements of specific components on any vehicle). Some of the posted information if accurate points to a possible connectability concern.

Last edited by Callisto; 08-01-2023 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-01-2023, 01:29 PM

I had a bad cell in a battery many years ago in a 1998 Nissan Pathfinder. Drove it to work and to lunch with no issues, or symptoms of a dying battery. Nothing was left on and when I came out from lunch the battery was completely dead. Took it in and found a bad cell had suddenly toasted the battery. New battery and it ran for years with no further issues.

Old 08-01-2023, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
I had a bad cell in a battery many years ago in a 1998 Nissan Pathfinder. Drove it to work and to lunch with no issues, or symptoms of a dying battery. Nothing was left on and when I came out from lunch the battery was completely dead. Took it in and found a bad cell had suddenly toasted the battery. New battery and it ran for years with no further issues.
I try I really do but you just like to always post things like this. Which is always the opposite of many my responses?
No your battery was not completely dead! A bad cell can discharge a battery but not down to registering 0 (ZERO) volts and amps. If the battery was physically damaged, then maybe depending on the type of physical damage.

This is like all the people that still believe to this day the places a battery on the cement will discharge it.

We may have another member of:

Last edited by Callisto; 08-01-2023 at 04:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Sudden battery discharge on 2023 CX-5