Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Steering slightly wheel off center

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 07:56 AM
Default Steering slightly wheel off center

Back in August 2013 I picked up my 2014 CX-5 (automatic , 2 wheel drive)… I noticed when going straight down the road, I had to have the steering wheel slightly left. And if I keep the steering wheel dead center it was like taking a slow right – like you were slowly changing lanes on a highway. My dealer can’t seem to even understand it – even though I took the tech out for a drive to see it.
Is there any way to adjust this so I can help my dealer help me?

Thanks,
Dave

Old 04-29-2014, 09:38 AM

Dave: this is most likely because most roads are crowned in order to drain rain water to the side.
If you are super cautious you could test it out. Take the car across the center line and feel out if it now pull to the left. If it does your vehicle is perfect.

The best conditions for this test are: no traffic, no wind, no police. But you knew that.

If you are still concerned keep track of your tire wear.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:24 AM
Default It's not pulling!

I must be describing this wrong because the dealer assumed the same thing. But here is what is really going on...

The car is not pulling - if I'm in the middle of the road and I let go of the steering wheel it pretty much stays straight down the road.

What I'm talking about is the fact that when I want to go straight - I need to steer the car like I'm making a slight left turn. -- Not holding the steering wheel straight because it drifts left it's because the steering wheel is installed crooked. So when I'm going straight (holding the wheel or not) and I look at the steering wheel - it's not straight.

Another way to put it is if I make the steering wheel straight, the tries are turned so that the car goes slightly right.

Do you see the difference?

Old 04-30-2014, 06:35 AM

Yes I do. The steering wheel is off center.

This is caused by a sloppy alignment job. A proper alignment job includes setting the steering wheel straight and clamping it in place, then adjusting the tie rod ends to specifications on both sides, then remove the clamp from the steering wheel.

Guess which step is often cut short?

Last edited by tanprotege; 04-30-2014 at 06:38 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:45 AM

Thank you - exactly. And thanks for the helpful photo.
I should expect the deal to correct this right? Guess it depends on how far it's off - but I noticed it right away so I think it's far enough.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:15 AM

If I were the dealer the customer would be king.

I use an independent garage for help with my vehicles. These vehicles are older than yours. Anyway, it happened 2 or 3 times that the steering wheel was off center. I took the van back and they got it perfect at the second attempt.

Print out my previous post with the picture and hopefully they will take you more serious.

Good luck.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

That is a great photo, Tan. I've never actually seen this done either, but its a terrific idea!!
My car pull slightly since I dropped it. I did have it aligned, but, "guess which step they skipped?"

Old 07-05-2017, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by nhbeachguy
Thank you - exactly. And thanks for the helpful photo.
I should expect the deal to correct this right? Guess it depends on how far it's off - but I noticed it right away so I think it's far enough.
did the alignment fix the problem?

Old 07-06-2017, 07:40 AM

They got it very close to straight - and I think an alignment is how they did it.