Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaking of tires....

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2020, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Whit
At one time, many moons ago, the new cars came with whatever tire that provided the smoothest ride, hoping to impress the potential buyer with the smoothest ride on a test drive. Now, unless the car is represented as a slalom car, I think their priority is strictly enhancing their profit margin.
Soooo you are referring to car's sold and manufactured older then the mid 60"s after that time period late in the 60's and to date there are Federal Standards for Vehicle Safety REQUIRED by most all and any Auto manufacture selling cars in the USA.

Old 12-09-2020, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by bobm
I'm gonna check out that thread - thanks.
Pirelli's simply did not perform as well the Michelin. So driving my car with my family, I'm going to get the better tires.
My whole point is to say that we could and should be given tires that are a better quality than the ones the auto makers choose. The fact that most people are not aware of a tire's limitation (braking/handling) isn't the issue.
You were already responding to me before I did my correction in that post of mine .. Your to fast for me....
That thread is mine. More pictures then anything else really. But I grew up looking at pictures in the magazines not the articles LOL

Neither Michelin or Pirellis have a better overall tire over the other or over most top brand tires. And both have had manufacturing issues and problem over the years. And you will never have either tire company represented claim their tires are better then other top brand tires. They will play with the wording though! LOL
When comparing tire brand you have to also compare them equally in the class. That actually is not so easy.

I currently owned at least one set of both but can't compare them because they are for 2 different purposes and I picked them by testing which best suited my needs.

And I say it again the tires that came on the MAZDA you purchased new were the ones all the safety and performance data was taken from. So if they changed to different tires those performance data would have also been different as well. Does that at least makes sence?

Last edited by Callisto; 12-09-2020 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-09-2020, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
You were already responding to me before I did my correction in that post of mine .. Your to fast for me....
That thread is mine. More pictures then anything else really. But I grew up looking at pictures in the magazines not the articles LOL

Neither Michelin or Pirellis have a better overall tire over the other or over most top brand tires. And both have had manufacturing issues and problem over the years. And you will never have either tire company represented claim their tires are better then other top brand tires. They will play with the wording though! LOL
When comparing tire brand you have to also compare them equally in the class. That actually is not so easy.

I currently owned at least one set of both but can't compare them because they are for 2 different purposes and I picked them by testing which best suited my needs.

And I say it again the tires that came on the MAZDA you purchased new were the ones all the safety and performance data was taken from. So if they changed to different tires those performance data would have also been different as well. Does that at least makes sence?

Yes, it makes sense that all tires put on cars pass the safety guidelines; that's a given. That does not mean all tires are of the same quality, brake the same, have the same tread life or are better in inclement weather, etc. Just check the ratings on Tire Rack or Consumers Report. I'd prefer that all of the tires supplied on new cars would be at or near the top, rather then at or near the bottom of any list. Michelin, Continental, Pirelli, Bridgestone, etc, all have some excellent tires and some no so great tires. My particular Pirellis caused me enough concern to start doing some reading up on the forum and elsewhere and many had the same experience (and other issues) with them, so my MY COMFORT LEVEL, I decided on a better, highly rated tire. IMHO, the bean counters have too much to say regarding tires...and other stuff...

Last edited by bobm; 12-09-2020 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12-09-2020, 04:56 PM

Interesting thread.

However, Consumer Reports does do side by side comparisons of tires and the Michelin AS3+ WAS a top rated all season tire. I have those on my sports car and I have found them to be very good as well. I also have a set of Michelin PS Super Sport summer tires for that sports car. While I have pulled 1.00 G's on the summer tires, I have not had occasion to similarly pull high G's on the all season tires. However they do respond well in normal spirited driving...my experience, and in cooler weather where the summer tires have less grip.

As has been noted (sort of), there are a number of trade-offs on tires between tire wear and longevity, quietness and traction bite, traction and temperature, etc. Tire Rack and Discount Tire both have on-line reviews, both from their experts and consumers (I place less credence on the consumers because they generally can't do cross comparisons on the same car of a goodly number of tires.

Anyway, I appreciate the various points of view on this topic.

Old 12-13-2020, 10:20 PM

As an update to my earlier post. Toyo contacted my dealer and told them they recommend rotating the A36's every 2500 miles!!! I have never heard such a thing. The dealership told them this kind of messed with their programs which are for an oil change and rotation every 5k (much more of a standard rotation interval from my experience). They asked to dealer to let them know when I reach 2/32" (I am at 4/32" at 15k). Depending on the mileage they will consider good will on the tires. They agreed to do rotations every 2500 on my car for no extra cost.

Old 12-13-2020, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
Toyo contacted my dealer and told them they recommend rotating the A36's every 2500 miles!!! .
Ok well , well then you wouldn't mind showing the service order from the dealership? Not saying that someone didn't get the information correct but I can't say as I have ever read or had a tire manufacture recommend that?

So post up that service order.
I am sure you can black out your personal information...
LOL

For additional assistance, please contact our Consumer Relations Department by email
https://www.toyotires.com/customer-care/contact-us

Last edited by Callisto; 12-13-2020 at 10:49 PM.
Old 12-14-2020, 09:14 AM

Um, I am not going to "post up" anything. The SM of my dealer is who called and told me this information from Toyo. He had no reason to lie as it makes more work for him to do 2500 mile rotations.

Old 12-14-2020, 09:59 AM

I have tried posting a response several times - all unsuccessfully. So if they do go through, please ignore the repeat posts. But I feel the response is IMHO worthy enough to make the repeated attempts.

The gist of it is that the TOYO 23 tires - probably not too dissimilar to the current 36's, are Tirerack customer rated at 28th out of 35 tires. The reviews are worth a look and reiterates what I have been saying all along - the supplied TOYO'S are AT BEST "fair".
As for me personally, I have a set or Vredestein Quatrac Pro tires on order from Tirerack.

Last edited by bobm; 12-14-2020 at 03:14 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-14-2020, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
Um, I am not going to "post up" anything. The SM of my dealer is who called and told me this information from Toyo. He had no reason to lie as it makes more work for him to do 2500 mile rotations.
Ya ok I understand.. and yes he has to document it and yes you could get the service order. But here is the thing I often seldom when I request such documents from members on forums ever see these documents supporting their "service advisory" work! Yours sounds more like a dealership simply doing a customer satisfaction service and the SM=Sales Manager covering the dealership butt so to say ? LOL

I NEVER said any one was a lier but what you said the Dealership was told by Toyo on the service advise from a tire manufacture is highly unlikely ??? As I have suggested having experience in my own personal shops as authorized dealers of many tire manufactures this would not be something they would do! Somebody misunderstood someone instructions on this one if it did in fact come from Toyo I am sure of it!

Old 12-14-2020, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Ya ok I understand.. and yes he has to document it and yes you could get the service order. But here is the thing I often seldom when I request such documents from members on forums ever see these documents supporting their "service advisory" work! Yours sounds more like a dealership simply doing a customer satisfaction service and the SM=Sales Manager covering the dealership butt so to say ? LOL

I NEVER said any one was a lier but what you said the Dealership was told by Toyo on the service advise from a tire manufacture is highly unlikely ??? As I have suggested having experience in my own personal shops as authorized dealers of many tire manufactures this would not be something they would do! Somebody misunderstood someone instructions on this one if it did in fact come from Toyo I am sure of it!

I really don't care what you think is "highly unlikely". SM = SERVICE MANAGER BTW. That is who I contacted initially along with Toyo. Tell you what, I will post the reply Toyo gave me when I emailed them about excessive tire wear:

Thank you for contacting Toyo Tires U.S.A. Corp. In order to better review your concerns we would suggest you please have the dealer contact us directly while you are at their store so we may obtain inspection results on your tires. We review each concern case by case and although your original equipment tires do not offer a projected mileage or mileage warranty, Toyo Tires may be able to offer a pro-rated goodwill to assist you with replacements into a new Toyo product. Please have the dealer contact Toyo Tires at 800-442-8696, Monday through Friday from 6:00 am to 4:00 pm
pacific time. We have opened a file in your name for further review.

Sincerely,

Consumer Relations
Toyo Tire U.S.A. Corp.

From this point my dealers Service Manager DID contact Toyo Tire and was told about the recommended 2500 mile rotations. As I said, why would he tell me this if it wasn't what they said? All it does is make more work for him. Now he is going to do an extra amount of work on my car at no cost to me...

I guess you will think I made the email up too?

Actually, I have another e-mail directly from Toyo which says they recommend more frequent rotations (although I am sure you will point out it doesn't have the 2,500 miles specified...). Maybe THIS will satisfy you???

Good morning,

Please see last recorded notes on 12/08/2020 to your case.

"Received voicemail from Tim and Mazda. Tread depths are 4-6/32. Recommended more frequent rotations due to nature of OEM tire and when all tires are worn to 2-3 will consider goodwill at that time. Tim to call consumer with information."

If you have any further questions or concerns please contact us via phone so we can better assist you, thank you.

Sincerely,

Toyo Tires U.S.A. Corp
Consumer Relations Department

Last edited by chickdr19; 12-14-2020 at 02:24 PM.