Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soft brake pedal and weird shudder when coming to a stop

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2023, 11:39 PM
Unhappy Soft brake pedal and weird shudder when coming to a stop

Hi, I recently bought a 2023 cx5 naturally aspirated earlier this year in February. I didn't quite catch the weird shudder when coming to a stop with the car during the test drive since the braking style required a lot more force than I was used to. As a result I may have been pressing it harder than I am now where I'm trying to control it more. It's really weird, I have to stop fairly hard to get that smooth braking feeling but as soon as I try to brake really slowly and smoothly to make the brakes last longer such as when I see a red light off in the distance that just came on then it will jerk right as I'm going from about 10 to 0 mph.

After some research it looks like the Mazda CX5 has a linear-type brake pedal that puts the braking power on par with how hard you're actually pressing the brake pedals rather than in every other car brand I've seen where 75%+ of the braking power seems to engage with just a tiny press of the brake pedal. I've never run into an issue like this with any other car so this seems unique. A friend recently also got a cx-50 naturally aspirated and there are no issues with that one - no jerk. It's not the car noticeably bending downwards during braking either, that's normal for a relatively tall vehicle. That wouldn't happen much in something like a civic which is really dang flat to the ground so we can scratch that off. My sister loved the cx5 as well and so she bought one. She's running into similar issues of having the shudder.

If I were to describe it a little bit better... it feels like it grabs-releases-grabs-releases as I go from 10 to 0 mph. Thinking back on it, it would seem like I'm not pressing the brakes hard enough but if I press it any harder I feel like I am braking too fast. This experience makes me feel like I don't have as much control over the car as I would like. I love coming braking slowly and smoothly and I can do that in literally every other car except the cx5. This car is so good otherwise, I really want to make this work!!

In short:
1. Is it possible to eliminate this shuddering when coming to a stop
2. Is it possible to stiffen up the brake pedal? The stiffness of the brake pedal seems to be linked to the brake booster, which I confirmed is working fine! I did the test where you press down on it over and over with the car off until it stiffens up hard, and then you turn the car on. The pedal should then easily sink to the floor, which it did. All good there.

Last edited by MazdaBoi22; 10-15-2023 at 11:41 PM.
Old 10-20-2023, 10:56 AM

Welcome to the forum.

Your Mazda is still under warranty, I suggest you address your brake concern with them. Try do this ASAP While I do not think that there is a problem based on your information I am not physically there to inspect your MAZDA either. brakes are the most important system on any vehicle. Get them checked with MAZDA!

Old 10-20-2023, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Welcome to the forum.

Your Mazda is still under warranty, I suggest you address your brake concern with them. Try do this ASAP While I do not think that there is a problem based on your information I am not physically there to inspect your MAZDA either. brakes are the most important system on any vehicle. Get them checked with MAZDA!
Agreed. Go to the dealer under warranty asap.