Mazda2 This new subcompact applies a sporty look and feel to a great economy car.

Mazda 2 - soft brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2022, 09:56 AM
Default Mazda 2 - soft brakes

Hello,

I have just bought used Mazda 2.
Year: 2008
Fuel: Petrol
Engine: 1.3

Everthing is just fine, but the brakes are soft and I need to push the brake all the way to the end/bottom, in order to car brakes. I went to mechanic, he told me that disks and pads are good, he changed brake oil, but everything is the same. He told me to go to official Mazda service (which is pretty expensive), so I want to ask you guys here if anyone had similar issue, before I go to Mazda service?

Regards

Old 11-24-2022, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Starday
Hello,

I have just bought used Mazda 2.
Year: 2008
Fuel: Petrol
Engine: 1.3

Everthing is just fine, but the brakes are soft and I need to push the brake all the way to the end/bottom, in order to car brakes. I went to mechanic, he told me that disks and pads are good, he changed brake oil, but everything is the same. He told me to go to official Mazda service (which is pretty expensive), so I want to ask you guys here if anyone had similar issue, before I go to Mazda service?

Regards
did you purchase the car with this fault?
when parked in neutral /park with the engine running pump the brake pedal up an down say six times fairly fast then press and hold the brake pedal.
now is the pedal much higher then it was before?

Old 11-25-2022, 02:12 PM

Does the pedal get any better if you pull the handbrake all the way up?

Old 12-07-2022, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Fastbysuzuki
did you purchase the car with this fault?
when parked in neutral /park with the engine running pump the brake pedal up an down say six times fairly fast then press and hold the brake pedal.
now is the pedal much higher then it was before?
Sorry for late reply. When I pump the pedal several times it gets slightly harder, but then when i press it one more time, it just softens... and goes all the way down.

What I also noticed... when I am driving and i just press the pedal a little, i feel that there is slight braking, just enough to feel it. When I press it further, nothing happens until the bottom of the way, when it starts braking.

I hope that I did not confuse you now...

P.S. I bought the car with this failure. I thought that it is not a big deal.

Old 12-07-2022, 10:06 AM

Welcome to the forum

Get a different "mechanic" your first one IMHO did a poor inspection!

Old 12-07-2022, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Welcome to the forum

Get a different "mechanic" your first one IMHO did a poor inspection!
That's exactly what I am doing. But Mazda is let's say rare in my country and not many mechanics fix them. That is why i am trying to gather as much information as I can, before i go to some random mechanic. Official services are way more expensive and i will try to avoid them if possible.

Old 12-07-2022, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Starday
That's exactly what I am doing. But Mazda is let's say rare in my country and not many mechanics fix them. That is why i am trying to gather as much information as I can, before i go to some random mechanic. Official services are way more expensive and i will try to avoid them if possible.
I never said you had to go to MAZDA, but what I did suggest is you find a different "mechanic". Look at the mechanic's certifications, they should be more than happy to show you! If it is over 10 years pass find someone that is more current.
I am decades old ASE (current) and can tell you if whomever worked on your brakes that could not find the issue, they are not very experienced! Your brake problem is not magical, or year and model related it is very "OLD SCHOOL" mechanical service inspecting and testing to find the problem!