Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smart City Brake Malfunction - New 2016 CX-5

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 03:51 PM

16 days later (or 7-months later depending on how you look at it) and we have a resolution: Mazda cannot fix the problems so I am getting a new car tomorrow at no cost, exact same year/trim/accessories/etc plus free 7-yr/100k comprehensive warranty (effective immediately) plus $100 Mazda service credit. That didn't come easy, long story below if interested.

So here's what happened: while the car was in for its third repair attempt on 9/15, I had multiple conversations with Mazda Corporate Customer Experience Team (or something like that). I wanted a new car, they offered me a free comprehensive extended warranty 7-yr/100k mile once I got the repaired car back. Only after I asked did they admit that it was actually 7-yrs effective immediately, meaning 4-yrs beyond the standard 3-yr warranty that already came with the car. I explained why I felt that was a start but insufficient given the time/cost/trust/etc i had lost through that point. They said I should take the car back after the service team is done, drive it around for a few weeks and then let them know if I'm comfortable accepting their offer or not, which was a good gesture. To their credit, they did come back and improved their offer to 9-Yr/100K warranty and $2,000 compensation...best-in-class customer service would have avoided any negotiation and given me their best offer from the start, but in the end I thought this was a very solid offer and showed they were serious about making the situation right.

HOWEVER, that deal was contingent on the car being fixed, which as we all now know it wasn't despite all of their assurances to the contrary...so offer off the table. They call to tell me they are going to work with the dealership to get me a new replacement vehicle at no cost (oh..and in the meantime the loaner 2015 GT CX-5 I've got from the dealer dies in my garage for no reason and requires a battery jump stronger than the portable jumper I've got...not a huge deal, but at that point = insult + injury - trust). My obvious response was...and what else? I know this is going to cost Mazda more than they'd like but that shouldn't affect the customer. I provide my reasons to the rep and after a long talk he basically says there's no way Mazda can or will provide anything more than a replacement vehicle, but he'll have one of his superiors call me to tell me that if I'd like (he was polite, just not very helpful). So a couple more days go by and the rep calls back with a manager on the phone, who eventually agrees that something more should be done so he offers me a whopping $100 Mazda credit. I explain that I expected much more given all the costs to me previously discussed, etc...he says he understands which is why he's offering me $100 credit, "enough for a couple free oil changes which is a good deal sir". He asks me how I feel about that deal, I laugh little and say I find it just short of insulting. It's still a relatively calm conversation but starts to get a bit more heated...he keeps referencing how much it will cost Mazda to replace the car until I finally have to say that he/Mazda has to understand that they are in no way doing me a favor as I am familiar with IL State Lemon Law. He still doesn't budge, just wants me to take the deal, and at this point I really have no leverage. So I simply say that it sounds like I'm not getting any other option, and my understanding is that he is part of the Customer Experience team, and that if I take this deal I will be a first-time Mazda owner who has had a poor customer experience. To my surprise, out of the blue he says "sir we'll also give you a 7-yr/100k warranty for your replacement vehicle and the $100 credit"...I said sounds good, please send me the paper work, have a good night! and hang up before he changes his mind. Reasonable offer, though I was still livid that in previous discussions I was told that "no better offer was available" and that I had to negotiate and get worked up for so long when they had a better offer available the entire time...B-/B at best, Mazda Customer Team. It took the dealer over a week before they told me they have my new car available.

Old 10-15-2015, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

The more complicated they are, the more trouble they will be. And SCBC is a fairly new technology, added to, and combined with ABS and TPMS. Too much on top of just enough, IMO.
"Keep it Simple." Honda used to tout that in their ads back in the 80's and for me it's still the best policy.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by virgin1

The more complicated they are, the more trouble they will be. And SCBC is a fairly new technology, added to, and combined with ABS and TPMS. Too much on top of just enough, IMO.
"Keep it Simple." Honda used to tout that in their ads back in the 80's and for me it's still the best policy.
I don't disagree with you one bit but compared to most cars on the road today Mazda is at the lower end of the technology continuum.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:24 PM
nua
Default 2016CX5 SCBS malfunction

I have a 2016 CX5 GS FWD which I bought in February. Last weekend I got a message on the panel about a SCBS malfunction!
It is now with the dealers - 2nd day today and I was told that this is the first time they have seen a problem like this in NZ mazda and dont know what to do about it!
This is a surprise as it seems to be a very common problem with this range based on what Im seeing with all the dialogues on this forum!

I have lost confidence driving the car and I am concerned that it seems a common problem with no obvious solution and wonder if Mazda would take this into consideration for their future fleet?

I am also wondering what to do with the car - whether its worth keeping it or trading it in. I'm very disappointed with the outcome

Old 07-20-2016, 07:27 AM

Unless the lane drift control, adaptive headlights, smart braking system are a "must have" in your daily driving, you can drive the car with no problem - none of the features should disable the car.

Is the GS similar to the Grand Touring? In my car (2015 US model of the Grand Touring w/iActive package), the SCBS was constantly going off, but only started after I'd had the car for about 6 months and had put over 14,000 miles on it. SCBS malfunctioned in the same 5 mile radius - a rural road with no traffic. The dealer replaced the forward-facing camera, as that showed up as malfunctioning, but it didn't solve the problem. The system malfunctioned a week later. I drove mine with the SCBS system in malfunction mode (the dealer kindly reset the warning lights) for another three months, at which time the dealer re-activated the system. Three days later, it started malfunctioning again. After being in the shop three times in 10 days, both the service manager and I were fed up with it, so we went to the dealership manager, and I ended up trading in the car at 24,000. They sold me in identical Grand Touring without the iActive package (and at a very nice price). Lo-and-behold, have had no issues with the car.

Service manager told me that Japan is "confused" as to why some of the systems are having issues and others are not. Japan wanted to know about climate (raining, snowing, sunny), road conditions (lines broken, rough side of the road), etc. and they can't figure out why you can drive months with no issues, and then it will malfunction repeatedly. Apparently my car is still on the lot and being used as a guinea pig.

On the "plus" side, you do get to know your service and sales department really well.

If you do keep the car for a while: When the warning lights come on, immediately drive to the dealer if you can and keep the car running. That way the service people can see the warning lights. If you can't, take a picture of the warning lights. The internal computer of my car was spitting out 3 feet of warnings, which all got sent to Japan.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by SAMazda
9/25: picked up my CX-5, service manager answered all my questions and they showed me the SCBS in action to ensure it was working.
Sad to know about your ordeal but curios to know how was it shown, I always wanted to make sure/test that it works on my car

I also had a similar incident with my 15' CX-5:https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...-lights-37258/ and I also feel that the lost confidence on the car is the biggest setback in such situations.

Last edited by agog; 09-14-2016 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:58 PM
Default SCB not functional

I just received my 2016 CX-5 Saturday. I cannot get the SCB to work. I have slowly rolled to a stop light full of cars and nothing. No warning, no brake activation. The cruise control works as it slows my car to 15 MPH. I am taking the car in Saturday.

Old 05-20-2018, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by SAMazda
16 days later (or 7-months later depending on how you look at it) and we have a resolution: Mazda cannot fix the problems so I am getting a new car tomorrow at no cost, exact same year/trim/accessories/etc plus free 7-yr/100k comprehensive warranty (effective immediately) plus $100 Mazda service credit. That didn't come easy, long story below if interested.

So here's what happened: while the car was in for its third repair attempt on 9/15, I had multiple conversations with Mazda Corporate Customer Experience Team (or something like that). I wanted a new car, they offered me a free comprehensive extended warranty 7-yr/100k mile once I got the repaired car back. Only after I asked did they admit that it was actually 7-yrs effective immediately, meaning 4-yrs beyond the standard 3-yr warranty that already came with the car. I explained why I felt that was a start but insufficient given the time/cost/trust/etc i had lost through that point. They said I should take the car back after the service team is done, drive it around for a few weeks and then let them know if I'm comfortable accepting their offer or not, which was a good gesture. To their credit, they did come back and improved their offer to 9-Yr/100K warranty and $2,000 compensation...best-in-class customer service would have avoided any negotiation and given me their best offer from the start, but in the end I thought this was a very solid offer and showed they were serious about making the situation right.

HOWEVER, that deal was contingent on the car being fixed, which as we all now know it wasn't despite all of their assurances to the contrary...so offer off the table. They call to tell me they are going to work with the dealership to get me a new replacement vehicle at no cost (oh..and in the meantime the loaner 2015 GT CX-5 I've got from the dealer dies in my garage for no reason and requires a battery jump stronger than the portable jumper I've got...not a huge deal, but at that point = insult + injury - trust). My obvious response was...and what else? I know this is going to cost Mazda more than they'd like but that shouldn't affect the customer. I provide my reasons to the rep and after a long talk he basically says there's no way Mazda can or will provide anything more than a replacement vehicle, but he'll have one of his superiors call me to tell me that if I'd like (he was polite, just not very helpful). So a couple more days go by and the rep calls back with a manager on the phone, who eventually agrees that something more should be done so he offers me a whopping $100 Mazda credit. I explain that I expected much more given all the costs to me previously discussed, etc...he says he understands which is why he's offering me $100 credit, "enough for a couple free oil changes which is a good deal sir". He asks me how I feel about that deal, I laugh little and say I find it just short of insulting. It's still a relatively calm conversation but starts to get a bit more heated...he keeps referencing how much it will cost Mazda to replace the car until I finally have to say that he/Mazda has to understand that they are in no way doing me a favor as I am familiar with IL State Lemon Law. He still doesn't budge, just wants me to take the deal, and at this point I really have no leverage. So I simply say that it sounds like I'm not getting any other option, and my understanding is that he is part of the Customer Experience team, and that if I take this deal I will be a first-time Mazda owner who has had a poor customer experience. To my surprise, out of the blue he says "sir we'll also give you a 7-yr/100k warranty for your replacement vehicle and the $100 credit"...I said sounds good, please send me the paper work, have a good night! and hang up before he changes his mind. Reasonable offer, though I was still livid that in previous discussions I was told that "no better offer was available" and that I had to negotiate and get worked up for so long when they had a better offer available the entire time...B-/B at best, Mazda Customer Team. It took the dealer over a week before they told me they have my new car available.
When you received your replacement CX5, did you have the same problems? I just bought a 2018 CX5 and am having the same issues after only 1,000 miles. I’m going to bring it in tomorrow for them to fix ASAP.

Old 07-20-2018, 03:38 PM

Hi All
Can anyone advise me please ? I have a 2014 cx5 2.2 auto and have had the problem of SCBS AND TMPS tyre pressure and inspection light come on automatically tipping the brakes at 80kmph with my kids in the car , I've only had it six months and have spent 750 euro on the problem so far from my local mechanic. So I sent it to Mazda and they claim the turbo is gone and want 3500 euro to replace!! My local mechanic disagrees and says its a computer fault that he cannot pin point and replacing the turbo (even if is gone ) will not solve the problem of the car entering limp mode, now I was wondering has anyone received a definitive answer as to the problem or can the computer be bypassed or should I just drive it into the sea?

Old 01-07-2019, 10:18 AM
Default SCBC mailfunction

The same issue. Car started braking. Its happens in clear air condition. No fog, snow or rain. -6C degree. After restart of car messages dissapears.

Quick Reply: Smart City Brake Malfunction - New 2016 CX-5