Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smart City Brake Malfunction - New 2016 CX-5

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 10:12 AM
Default 2016 CX 5 SCBS malfunction.

Had the same problem yesterday, except 5 malfunctions in one. Engine malfunction, SCBS, DCS, parking brake and tyre pressure all at once. Lost turbo and cruise control. Limped home and Mazda assist came out and said it was the exhaust sensor. Car was picked up today and taken to dealer. Best thing is it had it's 50,000 mile service on Friday and had a manufacturers recall in December for a software update re issue with injectors. Also had to have the SAT NAV programme reloaded as it would not start on a cold morning, had to drive until the car was warm and then park up for 10 minutes to get it to start. Luck it is a company car that is leased.

Old 06-20-2019, 03:47 AM
Default SCBS Malfunction issue

I started having the SCBS Malfunction issue around 4 weeks ago, whereby my Mazda CX-5 2015 AWD 2.2 Diesel Auto, 35,000 miles, would suddenly apply the brake while I was driving along in normal weather conditions.
The Engine warning light appeared together with the 'SCBS Malfunction FWD' message.
Managed to drive it to my local dealer who put it on 'Diags' and after an hour came back with the verdict that there is a carbon build up in the emission system and this was the cause of the issue.
I then explained to them the seriousness if this was to happen on a motorway, especially with my grandchildren in the car.
Mazda gave me a courtesy car 2 weeks ago and there is still no progress on the 'repair' 4 weeks on.
The car is no longer under warranty and I don't really see why I should fork out for the 'Repair' for an engine system design that is potentially dangerous.
I've made countless calls to Mazda Customer Services to complain and still have not had a satisfactory outcome.
When I do get it back, I wish to disable the SBS and SCBS features. But looking through the manual, there doesn't appear to be a way of disabling this feature on my model. Does anyone know how to do this?

Old 06-25-2019, 12:05 AM

The same problem (engine malfunction, SCBS, DCS, parking brake and tyre pressure, mentioned by Mindaugas Bene and Jeff F) occurred multiple times to my 2016 CX 5 2.2, but only when driving above 130 km/h. The car goes in limp mode. After restarting the engine, they clear out, except for engine malfunction, which was cleared every time by the dealer. Did anyone fix these issues? Any help would be really appreciated.

Last edited by R4auka; 06-25-2019 at 12:09 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:52 AM

Same issue on a 2015 CX-5 AWD Diesel.
Took the car to my local dealer and strangely, they diagnosed a Build-up of Carbon in the emission system as the cause.
The car is out of Manufacturer’s warranty, but after a string of calls to Mazda UK Customer Service, this was fixed free of charge.
I have been given assurances that this will not happen again, so I can only assume that this is a Mazda technical issue and this model of CX-5 is on the verge of a general recall.

Old 08-07-2019, 08:53 PM
Default 2016 CX-9 Forward Smart City Break Malfunction

I have experienced this same malfunction 4 times over the course of 2 years. The car flashes 'Forward Smart City Break Malfunction' and 'Vehicle Malfunction'. It is terrifying as the car immediately starts to decelerate and requires you to stop you vehicle where-ever you are (in our instances on the highway while merging). After complaining about this malfunction in February 2019, I was told to 'get my car washed every couple weeks' as the sensor could be dirty. The dealer couldn't replicate the error so basically said they could do nothing about it. With the most recent malfunction (7/25), I took my car into the dealership the next day and insisted this issue be corrected as it is a life threatening to myself, my family and other drivers. I provided images, video, dates, times, mileage, temperatures, etc. of 3 of the 4 malfunctions hoping that would help them investigate.

After two weeks of tests and back and forth with the dealer, they said that there was ‘nothing wrong with my car’ and that it was ‘working as designed’. They provided an official Mazda document that confirmed a malfunction could happen for any reason including plastic objects such as pylons, two-wheeled vehicles, pedestrians, animals or standing trees, metal objects or bumps, vehicles passing in the opposite lane, etc. They continued on to say that if the malfunction occurs, IT IS NORMAL for your vehicle to become inoperable and advised the driver to STOP IMMEDIATELY and RESTART YOUR CAR wherever you are. I asked them to put this recommendation into writing and they refused.

I am unsatisfied with this response and I believe there is a serious design flaw with this vehicle that could result in a recall. I will be reporting this to the NHTSA and consumer reports. Has anyone else experienced a similar situation?

Old 08-08-2019, 07:05 AM

Doesn't the vehicle throw a fault code that the dealer can read when it happens?????

Old 08-08-2019, 11:38 AM

From the documentation, the vehicle is throwing a fault code for the 'forward sensing camera' indicating the malfunction, however, when I asked the service manager directly, he said he was unable to locate the fault code as turning off/on the vehicle reset the codes. Moreover, the documentation they provided in the work order said, "they recalibrated the forward sensing camera and tested, operation is normal." After pressing further due to the multiple malfunctions we received, they "opened at hotline case for concern since it is a reoccurring problem. Hotline says to recalibrate the camera and update the PCM to the latest version. Also was told to print [two Mazda documents] that can cause these faults."

The document explains that "If the warning indicator light is not illuminated and there are no codes stored in the system, the system is operating properly, and Mazda cannot perform any additional testing of the system."

It continues on to say that "in certain conditions, Smart City Break Support (SCBS) my operate unintentionally. The owner's manual provides 7 examples:

1. Objects on the road at the entrance to a curve.
2. Vehicles passing in the opposite late while making a curve.
3. Metal objects, bumps, or protruding objects on the road.
4. When passing through a toll gate.
5. When passing under a vinyl curtain or flag.
6. Plastic objects such as pylons.
7. Two-wheeled vehicles, pedestrians, animals or standing trees.

It's my understanding that Mazda is aware of these malfunctions and they can and will occur after the camera recalibration. The service manager I spoke with also stated that if this malfunction occurs, it is normal to stop the vehicle immediately, and turn it off to reset the error message. When asked for them to document the expected outcome after the malfunction, they were unable to provide written documentation.

I am calling Mazda Corp again (first time was unsuccessful) to see if they can provide further clarification and a satisfactory resolution. Any advice?

Old 01-28-2020, 03:12 PM
LDP

Originally Posted by LBrown
From the documentation, the vehicle is throwing a fault code for the 'forward sensing camera' indicating the malfunction, however, when I asked the service manager directly, he said he was unable to locate the fault code as turning off/on the vehicle reset the codes. Moreover, the documentation they provided in the work order said, "they recalibrated the forward sensing camera and tested, operation is normal." After pressing further due to the multiple malfunctions we received, they "opened at hotline case for concern since it is a reoccurring problem. Hotline says to recalibrate the camera and update the PCM to the latest version. Also was told to print [two Mazda documents] that can cause these faults."

The document explains that "If the warning indicator light is not illuminated and there are no codes stored in the system, the system is operating properly, and Mazda cannot perform any additional testing of the system."

It continues on to say that "in certain conditions, Smart City Break Support (SCBS) my operate unintentionally. The owner's manual provides 7 examples:

1. Objects on the road at the entrance to a curve.
2. Vehicles passing in the opposite late while making a curve.
3. Metal objects, bumps, or protruding objects on the road.
4. When passing through a toll gate.
5. When passing under a vinyl curtain or flag.
6. Plastic objects such as pylons.
7. Two-wheeled vehicles, pedestrians, animals or standing trees.

It's my understanding that Mazda is aware of these malfunctions and they can and will occur after the camera recalibration. The service manager I spoke with also stated that if this malfunction occurs, it is normal to stop the vehicle immediately, and turn it off to reset the error message. When asked for them to document the expected outcome after the malfunction, they were unable to provide written documentation.

I am calling Mazda Corp again (first time was unsuccessful) to see if they can provide further clarification and a satisfactory resolution. Any advice?
Bought a 2015 CX-5 2.2 diesel sport nav in July 2019 and have had this problem since buying it, it’s probably happened around ten times always in different conditions throwing up a mixture of Tyre pressure, engine management, DSC and parking brake error accompanied by the SCBS forward malfunction error

more recently the error has been accompanied by a loss of engine power

turning the engine on and off seems to clear the problem

anyone found a solution?

Old 01-29-2020, 08:22 AM
Default 2018 mazda3 scbs

Originally Posted by SAMazda
Haven't had any luck with dealer service department yet (though they are trying), hoping someone here has some ideas:

Purchased new 2016 CX-5 GT AWD w/i-ACTIVESENSE at the end of March, and within a week started receiving the following two error messages on my info panel:
"Smart City Brake Support Malfunction. Forward SCBS Disabled." and
"Smart Brake System Malfunction"

Both messages show up in tandem, never just one or the other, and at seemingly random times. Once I turn the car off, they disappear and then pop up again after a few days or weeks. The dealer asked several questions about weather conditions, time of day, highway vs. city, windshield sensor debris/fog, etc. But the messages have appeared in just about every combination of driving conditions. Dealer kept the car for a couple days, could not recreate the issue or find anyone else with this issue, eventually Mazda told them to replace some ABS part...two days later, message appeared again.

Dealer keeps telling me they need to run diagnostics while the messages are on the screen but given the randomness of the problem, neither I nor they have been able to recreate on demand. Closest thing to a pattern I've recorded is that the error is more likely to set off when driving at slow speed and/or slowly applying the brake; the car usually jerks a bit (which i assume is the SCBS kicking in briefly?) and then the messages appear. For example, once they appeared while in the middle of a U-turn after I was stopped at a red light.

Thanks for your help and suggestions!
I've taken my car into the dealership countless times telling them the scbs isnt working properly. My light comes on for no reason. I've taken pictures and videos and show the service dept each time and they keep coming up with excuses as to why it doesn't work. They added this feature knowing it hasn't been fully tested just to raise sales.

Old 06-01-2020, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by officerstyles
I've taken my car into the dealership countless times telling them the scbs isnt working properly. My light comes on for no reason. I've taken pictures and videos and show the service dept each time and they keep coming up with excuses as to why it doesn't work. They added this feature knowing it hasn't been fully tested just to raise sales.
i took Mazda to court over this and gave me $2500 and a 100k mile extended warranty. ($2k went to my atty) the light kept coming on months afterwards and I took my car to the service dept and they replaced the camera. Since then no issues

Quick Reply: Smart City Brake Malfunction - New 2016 CX-5