Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Sirus XM issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2020, 05:46 PM
Default Soft reset

You don't always have to pull over and turn the car off. Sometimes a soft reset will fix the issues.

Old 10-04-2020, 08:20 AM

How do you do a "soft reset"?

Old 10-04-2020, 11:19 AM

Press....

BACK (the key with the arrow) + MUTE (push the volume **** down) + NAV for about 10 seconds. Your infotainment system will then reboot. This reboot sometimes corrects the Sirius XM Radio issue (Or you can keep driving and listen to channel 301....Yacht Radio....for whatever reason this channel ALWAYS works).

Old 10-04-2020, 11:30 AM

Thank you. That is good information to know. My trial subscription ran out last Thursday and I have not had the problem since. I transferred the paid subscription from my prior vehicle so not my CX5 has a full paid Sirius subscription. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I don't want to have to 'educate" the dealer. They seem to have issues with people bringing in information gleaned from this forum that they don't know anything about.

Old 10-04-2020, 11:59 AM

Correct. The dealers are pretty much clueless on issues like these.

Old 10-06-2020, 12:48 PM

Well my trial subscription was changed to a full paid subscription last Thursday and radio worked fine until this morning and then same old problem--only the partial list of XM stations available. I did the soft reset described above and the radio immediately had all the channels. Thanks for that great advice. One thing it did rule out was the problem being caused by the trial subscription and being XM's fault. The combination of Mazda's hardware and firmware is obviously the problem. I got a recall notice on my 2020 CX5 about having to replace the module that controls the power liftgate and when I take it to do that, I will make sure I get the latest firmware.
BTW, the recall says that the defective liftgate module can run down the battery after a couple of days if the car is not started. Ain't technology great--can't live without it and can't live with it.

Old 10-06-2020, 02:22 PM

The latest firmware doesn't 100% fix the problem, nor does the soft reset always work either. But you are correct, by rebooting the radio it is obvious there is a bug somewhere in the radio initialization that prevents the SIRIUS from starting correctly (other than road trip radio). I have never been able to consistently reproduce the bug, and that is the problem. I suspect the firmware writers could figure it out by looking at what actually causes the SIRIUS antenna error and working back, but good luck convincing whoever that is to do it. I am sure it isn't SIRIUS or Mazda, but whoever makes the radio and they probably farm out the firmware to another company.

Old 10-06-2020, 02:59 PM

What is the antenna error you refer to?

Old 10-06-2020, 04:57 PM
Default Sirius XM issue

Originally Posted by SnowFrog4
Hi, I have a brand new 2019 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring Reserve. In the past six weeks of ownership I have had the following issue occur randomly at least 12 times: when starting the car and waiting for the XM satelite stations to load I only get Channels 0 (Radio ID), 130 & channels 300 and upwards. I am missing 1-129 & 131-299. I have made multiple attempts to correct this by XM tech support refreshing my signal and also my XM account. The dealer has replaced the satelite radio model (i have a new radio ID) and also provided a refresh of the latest vehicle software and a hard reset by removing and then replacing the car battery. The issue continues to occur intermittently with no reason (no blocked signal). XM is saying this is a hardware issue, dealer is saying this is a XM Satellite signal issue. The only way I can temporarily 'correct' this is by shutting off the vehicle for at least 5 minutes and then restarting it. Does anyone have any suggestions or feedback on this? Both the dealer and XM say they have never encountered this issue before. Please help if you can. thank you!!
I am having the exact same problem with the 2019 Mazda6 Grand Touring. The car takes way too long to load the electronics, and the SiriusXM issue happens frequently. It is definitely not a SiriusXM issue. It is a Mazda issue. The sales people at my dealership are all aware of this issue. Management acts like they’ve never heard about it. It is unacceptable that they are selling cars which they know have a specific issue. The length of time it takes to load everything is bad enough, but the SiriusXM issue is beyond terrible.

Old 10-06-2020, 08:54 PM

It does take awhile to initialize sometimes. And it has to import contacts more times than it should.

I love the one hour replay feature the radio offers. That is were my love ends. Everything else from the controls to startup to functionality is pretty clunky.

Quick Reply: Sirus XM issue