Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sirus XM issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 07:49 PM
Default Sirus XM issue

Hi, I have a brand new 2019 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring Reserve. In the past six weeks of ownership I have had the following issue occur randomly at least 12 times: when starting the car and waiting for the XM satelite stations to load I only get Channels 0 (Radio ID), 130 & channels 300 and upwards. I am missing 1-129 & 131-299. I have made multiple attempts to correct this by XM tech support refreshing my signal and also my XM account. The dealer has replaced the satelite radio model (i have a new radio ID) and also provided a refresh of the latest vehicle software and a hard reset by removing and then replacing the car battery. The issue continues to occur intermittently with no reason (no blocked signal). XM is saying this is a hardware issue, dealer is saying this is a XM Satellite signal issue. The only way I can temporarily 'correct' this is by shutting off the vehicle for at least 5 minutes and then restarting it. Does anyone have any suggestions or feedback on this? Both the dealer and XM say they have never encountered this issue before. Please help if you can. thank you!!

Old 05-30-2019, 09:10 PM

I cannot speak for the dealer, however I can emphatically state that SiriusXM most definitely HAS encountered this issue before. BTW, did yours come with a message along the lines of "Requested channel not available?" This occurred yesterday, and I was missing the exact same list of channels you were missing, while the channel list showed the same channels your radio showed (0, 130, 300>). At the time, I chalked it up to the crazy atmospheric conditions going on at the time in the northeast. When I shut it off (2019 CX-5 Signature trim) and then returned to the car later on, everything was fine (like your situation). I did not give it another thought until I saw your post. Anyway, Honda forums, especially CR-V forums are full of these complaints. So too are Subaru forums (Forester and Outback), Audi Forums, even a Tesla forum. There are variations but all involve bunches of channels missing. Refreshes are usually worthless. Loads of bitching to SiriusXM especially when the signal refreshes do not work. Loads too of finger-pointing. So far, I have not seen a definitive solution, though there is talk of an upcoming firmware update for newer radios. I have seen this only once so far, however I do not play the radio all the time either (love the sound of that turbo).

Last edited by skyking; 05-30-2019 at 09:14 PM.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by skyking
I cannot speak for the dealer, however I can emphatically state that SiriusXM most definitely HAS encountered this issue before. BTW, did yours come with a message along the lines of "Requested channel not available?" This occurred yesterday, and I was missing the exact same list of channels you were missing, while the channel list showed the same channels your radio showed (0, 130, 300>). At the time, I chalked it up to the crazy atmospheric conditions going on at the time in the northeast. When I shut it off (2019 CX-5 Signature trim) and then returned to the car later on, everything was fine (like your situation). I did not give it another thought until I saw your post. Anyway, Honda forums, especially CR-V forums are full of these complaints. So too are Subaru forums (Forester and Outback), Audi Forums, even a Tesla forum. There are variations but all involve bunches of channels missing. Refreshes are usually worthless. Loads of bitching to SiriusXM especially when the signal refreshes do not work. Loads too of finger-pointing. So far, I have not seen a definitive solution, though there is talk of an upcoming firmware update for newer radios. I have seen this only once so far, however I do not play the radio all the time either (love the sound of that turbo).

Hi. THANK YOU, YES!! SAME ISSUE. Matthew, from the Sirius XM's Custom Solutions area (their top tier tech support area) contacted me recently after my many calls to them. He is now fully aware of the above issue and wants me to continue to monitor and let him know if this happens again (my dealer is going to replace my shark fin antenna on Monday in an attempt to correct this intermittent and recurring issue) ***Can you please contact Matthew at Sirius XM 855-619-2872 then option #3? (He is the only Matthew in that department). It would be most helpful to have someone else let XM know that this is a real issue and not just a random one off hardware issue on the end user's side. Please keep me posted and thank you again!

Old 05-31-2019, 02:58 PM

Happened again today. I will definitely call him and have him add me to the list.

Old 05-31-2019, 06:05 PM

Happened again today. I will definitely call him and have him add me to the list.
Great, thanks! Happened again to me today as well a little after 5:00 p.m. I am in New Jersey

Old 05-31-2019, 08:50 PM

Mine took place around 3:30EDT. I called the SiriusXM tech number, hit option #3 ,and asked for Matthew. He was not available but a Josh took my information and then put me on hold for a bit. When he came back he said he was familiar with the issue Matthew was working on, and agreed that I had experienced the same problem. He told me that the research he, Matthew, and others in that group have done, have led (so far) to two possible causes: either 1.) the SiriusXM receivers in our cars have gone bad, or, 2.) that the ongoing free trial period is playing havoc with the signal (which he said is changed) and bandwidth. He also said that past free trial periods have led to reception issues for a number of subscribers. He asked if I was in my vehicle at the moment and i said i was not, as I was calling from my residence but would be leaving in my vehicle in approximately 10 minutes and I would expect at that point for everything to be fine and back to normal (which it was). He asked me to call back when/if I experience the problem next time because he wants to try "a few things". We'll see.

Old 05-31-2019, 10:17 PM

Mine took place around 3:30EDT. I called the SiriusXM tech number, hit option #3 ,and asked for Matthew. He was not available but a Josh took my information and then put me on hold for a bit. When he came back he said he was familiar with the issue Matthew was working on, and agreed that I had experienced the same problem. He told me that the research he, Matthew, and others in that group have done, have led (so far) to two possible causes: either 1.) the SiriusXM receivers in our cars have gone bad, or, 2.) that the ongoing free trial period is playing havoc with the signal (which he said is changed) and bandwidth. He also said that past free trial periods have led to reception issues for a number of subscribers. He asked if I was in my vehicle at the moment and i said i was not, as I was calling from my residence but would be leaving in my vehicle in approximately 10 minutes and I would expect at that point for everything to be fine and back to normal (which it was). He asked me to call back when/if I experience the problem next time because he wants to try "a few things". We'll see.
Awesome feedback, thank you! Initially, XM technical support was pushing very hard that I had a satellite module issue (which is essentially the car radio receiver) so that was reluctantly replaced by the dealer and shortly after that was done the same exact issue occurred again, highly unlikely that two bad receivers in a row had occurred, I do suspect that the free trial is causing an issue, I tried to have mine credited to me as I already had an existing subscription that was prepaid, not sure how they handled it on there end. I will follow up with them and keep you in the loop after my antenna is replaced... I want to see if this issue occurs any further after all that was done, please do the same, thanks again, it's nice to at least realize I am not the only one out there with this odd satelite radio issue... Most of my vehicle's satellite radio hardware has been replaced by now and the vehicle's software was updated... should this continue my gut tells me it is most likely a firmware issue that needs to be addressed by XM engineers.

Old 05-31-2019, 10:51 PM

Right now, I'm thinking this is a SiriusXM issue also. Sure, I guess it is possible that Fujitsu or whoever supplies Mazda the satellite radio receivers conceivably could have sent an entire bad batch (and we both have 2019 CX-5s). Very remote and highly unlikely though (IMO). Reading some of many similar complaints raised with SiriusXM subscribers with Honda and Subaru cars however show many instances where dealers end up replacing the audio hardware in the vehicle (after many owner complaints and upon SiriusXM insistence that the hardware is defective) only to see the exact problem return shortly thereafter. In any case, I'm waiting for the end of the freebee trial (June 4) to see what happens after. I am most curious since my issue first appeared Tuesday May 28 (trial started on the 24th I think). Starting on the 5th, any repeat and I'm going to want answers.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:30 PM

Right now, I'm thinking this is a SiriusXM issue also. Sure, I guess it is possible that Fujitsu or whoever supplies Mazda the satellite radio receivers conceivably could have sent an entire bad batch (and we both have 2019 CX-5s). Very remote and highly unlikely though (IMO). Reading some of many similar complaints raised with SiriusXM subscribers with Honda and Subaru cars however show many instances where dealers end up replacing the audio hardware in the vehicle (after many owner complaints and upon SiriusXM insistence that the hardware is defective) only to see the exact problem return shortly thereafter. In any case, I'm waiting for the end of the freebee trial (June 4) to see what happens after. I am most curious since my issue first appeared Tuesday May 28 (trial started on the 24th I think). Starting on the 5th, any repeat and I'm going to want answers.
Update- My Shark fin XM satellite radio antenna replaced by dealer 3 days ago, no issues until 3rd day, lost block of channels again. contacted XM custom solutions, instructed them to cancel my Free preview trial And reinstate my previously prepaid subscription. They did this, the same issue occurred shortly afterwards. I am at a complete loss at this point, all the equipment has been replaced, XM is telling me I possibly have a loose wire somewhere, they will escalate in their end but I do not think anything will come of that. Also when I mentioned your previous conversation with Josh, Matthew was unaware. I informed him that you were also having the same issue. Currently he sits next to Josh and will discuss when Josh returns to work the next day. Don't think I can do much more I might just have to live with this issue.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:19 PM

Loose wire my ***. At this point, I believe they are yanking your chain, and I am wavering between frustrated and pissed-off. I was hoping that perhaps a new antenna would fix this issue; then at least we'd all have something to go on. As I've reported earlier, forums from other manufacturers (Honda and Subaru specifically) indicate that replacing the SiriusXM hardware (receiver, harnesses, antenna, you-name-it) solves nothing. Meanwhile, at Technical Central, "A" (Matthew) knew nothing about "B" (Josh), which tells me that SiriusXM is likely not taking this issue all that too seriously (I'd say Sirius-ly, but I am not in a humorous mood right now). I would think they'd want to collaborate since the same issue is showing up in two different vehicles. Guess not. Anyway, I have not had a repeat since Iast Friday but I have driven very little since then; I did not use my car at all today (I am retired-not that that matters). Josh wants me to call when/if I have a repeat, which I surely will, but I suspect it is going to be the old signal refresh, followed by their deduction that the radio is at fault. Thinking about this also brings to my mind two small issues which sort of complicate things on my end: 1.) my wife has SiriusXM in her 2011 RAV4 (listens to it continuously) and has not had the least hint of any problem (now or in the past 8 years), and 2.) I had SiriusXM in my 2017 Mazda CX-3 which I owned for 2 1/2 years. Never any issue there either. So I am stumped, but I am still strongly leaning toward this being a SiriusXM issue. If this channel disappearing act continues to manifest itself from time-to-time, I will just cancel my subscription and have them add it to my wife's subscription.

Quick Reply: Sirus XM issue