Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Should I Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 01:01 PM

As you have been buying true luxury brands of late have you looked at the Q5, GLC and X3? I would think the Mazda will be lacking on cutting edge tech for you (it's the end of the lifecycle of the current gen CX-5) as this sounds important in your decision. We have a '21 GTR (a step below the Sig, but essentially the same car) and really enjoy it, but the new infotainment is not as intuitive as the one in our '19 was (even with the larger screen in the '21). Lack of a touchscreen is a bit silly. AA/CP are wired only, but this isn't really an issue to me. Check seat comfort as this is a big CX5 demerit in my book. I suspect your QX50 seats are quite a bit better than the CX-5's - especially if you make long trips.

As to the Tiguan suggestion above - it is way too slow for his tastes. He already asked if the CX-5 2.5T would be an issue. The VW only has 184hp and is quite pokey.... VW really needs to make a performance version of the Tiguan using the GTI's motor.

Last edited by chickdr19; 06-07-2021 at 01:04 PM.
Old 06-07-2021, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
As you have been buying true luxury brands of late have you looked at the Q5, GLC and X3? I would think the Mazda will be lacking on cutting edge tech for you (it's the end of the lifecycle of the current gen CX-5) as this sounds important in your decision. We have a '21 GTR (a step below the Sig, but essentially the same car) and really enjoy it, but the new infotainment is not as intuitive as the one in our '19 was (even with the larger screen in the '21). Lack of a touchscreen is a bit silly. AA/CP are wired only, but this isn't really an issue to me. Check seat comfort as this is a big CX5 demerit in my book. I suspect your QX50 seats are quite a bit better than the CX-5's - especially if you make long trips.
Definitely agreed. Check the seat comfort against other SUV's. My only complaint right now about our CX-5. It's my wife's car, so not able to swap it with something else at the moment
But I would sell it right now if it were my daily driver.

Old 06-07-2021, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by mazda_nc_dude
Definitely agreed. Check the seat comfort against other SUV's. My only complaint right now about our CX-5. It's my wife's car, so not able to swap it with something else at the moment
But I would sell it right now if it were my daily driver.
Interesting...so you say the seats are uncomfortable in your CX5?

Old 06-07-2021, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by securityguy
Really interesting design of the seats. They are kind of narrow and have very hard side bolsters. I would take it for a very long test drive before committing to it.

Old 06-07-2021, 09:39 PM

Some people really hate the seats; some like them; some don't care. The seats in my 2014 GT are quite comfortable in my and my wife's opinion.

Remember, if you like the rest of the car, an upholstery shop can probably resolve any problems you have with the seats.

Old 06-08-2021, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by schmieg
Some people really hate the seats; some like them; some don't care. The seats in my 2014 GT are quite comfortable in my and my wife's opinion.

Remember, if you like the rest of the car, an upholstery shop can probably resolve any problems you have with the seats.
Agree - seat comfort is very subjective. What works for one person, may not for another.

Originally Posted by chickdr19

As to the Tiguan suggestion above - it is way too slow for his tastes. He already asked if the CX-5 2.5T would be an issue. The VW only has 184hp and is quite pokey.... VW really needs to make a performance version of the Tiguan using the GTI's motor.
You have been given excellent advice in this thread. Yeah, take a look at those brands if they are in your budget. Actually, what is your budget? Are you buying or leasing? I have the 21 Carbon Edition Turbo and it's a very nice ride, a pleasure to drive, solid and smooth with an understated elegance. But it does lack some rather basic amenities that I'm sure would be a deal killer for you. But I just saw this and if I were in the market for an SUV/CUV - this one from Genesis would be the one on top of the list.
genesis-gv70.html

Old 06-08-2021, 08:20 AM

For those using CarPlay with Google Maps, does the satellite view show up on the screen? I watched a YT video and the Google Maps satellite view wasn't showing up on his screen and I thought that was very strange. Thanks
Google maps does show up with Android Auto. I figure is does to Apple CarPlay as well. I'm sure folks will weigh in.

Old 06-08-2021, 10:34 AM
Default Should I buy CX5

Looking at a 2021 Loaded Signature CX5. Just a few questions before I visit the dealer:

1. What are thoughts on the new Turbo engine and it's reliability?
2. What fuel is required for the turbo?
3. Is the CarPlay cabled or does it have wireless CarPlay?
4. Would you buy it again?

Looking at trading in a 2019 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport to get more cargo space, but don't want to miss out on too much power. We were looking at a CX5 in the past several years ago and went with the new Acura RDX...it turned out to be a mistake an got rid of that for the Infiniti. This is for my wife and want something loaded to the max. Does the Signature come with the heads-up display standard? If so, what does it tell you in the display? Any comments on the NAV and the quality and ease of use? Thanks for allowing me to ask several questions but we have loved this vehicle for quite sometime and now looking seriously at pulling the trigger while they have 0% for 36 months.

Thank you all, in advance, for your support and answers!
i don’t know about this model but the 2018 CX5 I just got has Infotainment system issues and is disappointing. I have noticed that many models have this issue and Mazda doesn’t seem to fix it. I wouldn’t go with it.

Old 06-08-2021, 10:43 AM
Default CX5 Reply

Originally Posted by Chas2
See my answers embedded below.

Good luck in your decisions, and let us know what your other candidates are. I am always interested in hearing how others choose. Needless to say you have a built in fan club here.
Thank you...great response and information.

Not a Honda CRV fan. Not a Toyota RAV4 fan...both to me are boring drivers. The only SUV we are even considering is the CX5 based on reputation, reliability, looks, sportiness and the feel of how it drives. Plus I hate CVT's and love the turbo with a six speed. It's all about color now and if she finds a color she likes. She really wanted the color on the Carbon Edition, but that is exclusive to that trim and not available on the Signature
I don’t think you should buy CX5. I’m disappointed with my choice. Nav and Infotainment problems and frustrating to learn. Mine isn’t working 3 weeks after buying. Screen is dark, only radio voice. Not user friendly manual at all. Many models have this. Toyota Camry model is way better with options, Toyota Highlander, Audi SUV my sister has all the upgraded options and it’s gorgeous, easy to use.

Old 06-08-2021, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Chris!
Google maps does show up with Android Auto. I figure is does to Apple CarPlay as well. I'm sure folks will weigh in.
With CarPlay, I can use Apple Maps, Google Maps and Waze. I have not gone beyond these three apps with the Mazda system as a backup if I have spotty signal. Just out of curiosity, is there another app to use? I like Waze because of the near real time police reports and accident reports. I don't know of any more competing navigation apps, and unless they are game changers, not sure I want more choice.

Quick Reply: Should I Buy?