Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Should I Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2021, 08:04 PM
Default Should I Buy?

Looking at a 2021 Loaded Signature CX5. Just a few questions before I visit the dealer:

1. What are thoughts on the new Turbo engine and it's reliability?
2. What fuel is required for the turbo?
3. Is the CarPlay cabled or does it have wireless CarPlay?
4. Would you buy it again?

Looking at trading in a 2019 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport to get more cargo space, but don't want to miss out on too much power. We were looking at a CX5 in the past several years ago and went with the new Acura RDX...it turned out to be a mistake an got rid of that for the Infiniti. This is for my wife and want something loaded to the max. Does the Signature come with the heads-up display standard? If so, what does it tell you in the display? Any comments on the NAV and the quality and ease of use? Thanks for allowing me to ask several questions but we have loved this vehicle for quite sometime and now looking seriously at pulling the trigger while they have 0% for 36 months.

Thank you all, in advance, for your support and answers!

Old 06-06-2021, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by securityguy
Looking at a 2021 Loaded Signature CX5. Just a few questions before I visit the dealer:

1. What are thoughts on the new Turbo engine and it's reliability? - Turbo adds a lot of power, quite reliable.
2. What fuel is required for the turbo? - It will run on regular, premium, and in between. There is a loss of hp with lower octane but no driveability issues.
3. Is the CarPlay cabled or does it have wireless CarPlay? - Bluetooth
4. Would you buy it again? - Actually we bought the GTR with Parchment interior because my wife didn't like the Signature interior, too dark. But, I do like some of the Signature features not on the GTR. If you like the interior, buy the Signature.

Looking at trading in a 2019 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport to get more cargo space, but don't want to miss out on too much power. We were looking at a CX5 in the past several years ago and went with the new Acura RDX...it turned out to be a mistake an got rid of that for the Infiniti. This is for my wife and want something loaded to the max. Does the Signature come with the heads-up display standard? If so, what does it tell you in the display? Any comments on the NAV and the quality and ease of use? Thanks for allowing me to ask several questions but we have loved this vehicle for quite sometime and now looking seriously at pulling the trigger while they have 0% for 36 months.
- HUD is standard. Shows lots of useful info, too much to list here, the dealer can demo it. I like HUD a lot.
- Get the NAV card on ebay from Navking and save $350. But entering destinations is clunky since the screen isn't touch screen. The large screen makes it to track routes. Turn info shows in the HUD, as well as speed limits and stop signs.
- You'll save $1000 if you don't get the 0% interest. Have them price it first before discussing financing. And check other financing sources. You'll likely save money.

See my comments in your questions.

Old 06-06-2021, 08:31 PM

Thanks my friend. I thought the screen was a touch screen in the 2021 and that the NAV card comes with the Signature model?

Old 06-06-2021, 09:29 PM

2020 had a touch screen, I believe, but not in 2021 when it was increased in size. I'm not an expert on the Sig, so maybe the nav card is included in the pricing. The dealer can break that out for you, or a Sig owner can clarify.

Old 06-07-2021, 07:48 AM

Thanks my friend. I thought the screen was a touch screen in the 2021 and that the NAV card comes with the Signature model?
The screen is not a touch screen, most things are done with the Commander ****. The learning curve is steeper than it should be, but I'm getting along with it now. The NAV SIM card does come with the Signature trim level.

Old 06-07-2021, 07:56 AM

Thanks...big disappointment that the screen is not a touch and no wireless CarPlay, but not a showstopper by any means.

Old 06-07-2021, 07:57 AM

For those using CarPlay with Google Maps, does the satellite view show up on the screen? I watched a YT video and the Google Maps satellite view wasn't showing up on his screen and I thought that was very strange. Thanks

Old 06-07-2021, 11:10 AM

See my answers embedded below.

1. What are thoughts on the new Turbo engine and it's reliability?
Turbo was debuted in the CX9 since 2016 with good success, and has been extended to several vehicles including CX5, CX30, Mazda6 and Mazda3. My impression is that it does not seem any less reliable than the NA 2.5 (without cylinder deactivation), which we have had in our 2014 CX5, and is still running strong (we sold the 2014 to a relative). You should do your own research, of course.
2. What fuel is required for the turbo?
Regular to Premium, depends on your state. For example, we can get 94 octane (R+M)/2, but I know some states are limited to 91 premium. You can read about the HP and torque differences online. In reality, with 310 lb ft of torque, regular works just fine around town. For extended trips I use premium.
3. Is the CarPlay cabled or does it have wireless CarPlay?
No wireless CarPlay. Both Android Auto and CarPlay are wired. There is chatter on the internet about the earlier version (2021 CX5 has the newest generation of infotainment system, first debuted on the new Mazda3) of the CX5 infotainment has a firmware update that allows wireless operation, but I have not read about such an upgrade for the new system. Plus there is no supporting hardware for it...I would think you would want an induction charger and I am not sure what the wireless mechanism is since all my AA CP experience is wired. The CX5 has a wifi hotspot built in, so may be no other hardware is needed, I have just not researched it.
4. Would you buy it again?
Yes, we would buy our 2021 CX5 Signature again

Looking at trading in a 2019 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport to get more cargo space, but don't want to miss out on too much power. We were looking at a CX5 in the past several years ago and went with the new Acura RDX...it turned out to be a mistake an got rid of that for the Infiniti. This is for my wife and want something loaded to the max.

Does the Signature come with the heads-up display standard? Yes, it has standard color HUD.
If so, what does it tell you in the display? I would encourage you to look at the various on line manuals. From memory
  • Lane lines
  • lane keeping warning
  • radar cruise control activation and distances
  • cruise control speed setting
  • blindspot activation left and right
  • speed limit signs
  • Stop signs
  • Mazda Nav (only, not AA or CP) turn by turn directions, and
  • iam sure obligatory warnings if something like collision mitigation is set off. There is probably more, but this is not my primary car)
Any comments on the NAV and the quality and ease of use? Not sure what you mean by Nav (i.e., Mazda Nav or the infotainment system in general) WRT to the 2014 Tom-Tom nav, the new Mazda Nav is great, and optimizes the use of the 10.25 in screen and integrates with the HUD. Waze, Apple Maps or Google Maps are still my preferred apps, unless we go out of town to areas with spotty reception. The Mazda central console commander takes effort to learn, and I would say can be pretty distracting until you get the muscle memory down. I think touch is a lot more intuitive than spinning the dial or using the dial as a joy stick. The CX5 is not my primary driver, so that muscle memory takes time.
Thanks for allowing me to ask several questions but we have loved this vehicle for quite sometime and now looking seriously at pulling the trigger while they have 0% for 36 months.
Good luck in your decisions, and let us know what your other candidates are. I am always interested in hearing how others choose. Needless to say you have a built in fan club here.
Good luck in your decisions, and let us know what your other candidates are. I am always interested in hearing how others choose. Needless to say you have a built in fan club here.

Old 06-07-2021, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Chas2
See my answers embedded below.

Thank you...great response and information.

Not a Honda CRV fan. Not a Toyota RAV4 fan...both to me are boring drivers. The only SUV we are even considering is the CX5 based on reputation, reliability, looks, sportiness and the feel of how it drives. Plus I hate CVT's and love the turbo with a six speed. It's all about color now and if she finds a color she likes. She really wanted the color on the Carbon Edition, but that is exclusive to that trim and not available on the Signature

Old 06-07-2021, 12:57 PM

Thank you...great response and information.

Not a Honda CRV fan. Not a Toyota RAV4 fan...both to me are boring drivers. The only SUV we are even considering is the CX5 based on reputation, reliability, looks, sportiness and the feel of how it drives. Plus I hate CVT's and love the turbo with a six speed. It's all about color now and if she finds a color she likes. She really wanted the color on the Carbon Edition, but that is exclusive to that trim and not available on the Signature
In 2021, Car and Driver gives the VW Tiguan with its 8 speed the nod for second place. Based on driving most recently, at least the GTI, I do like the VW driving dynamics. Other European manufactured VWs of old that we drove were very acceptable. Check it out at least.

Quick Reply: Should I Buy?