Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roof weight limit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2021, 02:40 PM
Default Roof weight limit?

Hi. Newbie here, although this forum has helped me diagnose two issues with my 2014 CX-5, so thanks for that. My car has roof racks, but no cross bars. I have no clue if the racks are factory or not? I don't see a logo anywhere, although the car is nicely equipped. I want to carry a kayak. In my search for cross bars, I came across these padded things on Amazon that looked interesting, but they rest on the roof. In the Q and A, they suggest finding out what the weight load for the moonroof is. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Or tell me where to find crossbars that don't require professional installation?

Thank you!

Old 04-23-2021, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by KathyP
Hi. Newbie here, although this forum has helped me diagnose two issues with my 2014 CX-5, so thanks for that. My car has roof racks, but no cross bars. I have no clue if the racks are factory or not? I don't see a logo anywhere, although the car is nicely equipped. I want to carry a kayak. In my search for cross bars, I came across these padded things on Amazon that looked interesting, but they rest on the roof. In the Q and A, they suggest finding out what the weight load for the moonroof is. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Or tell me where to find crossbars that don't require professional installation?

Thank you!
I would be hesitant to carry anything on the roof that puts weight on the moonroof. If the rails you have are OEM, the Mazda should have the cross bars and I believe they have an attachment available for their crossbars for carrying a kayak. I don't know whether professional installation would be required, but I do believe you have to remove the rails to mount the bars (a dumb design in my opinion). It's also possible that Thule or Yakima have crossbars available that would mount without removing the rails, but I haven't looked. Mine came with the OEM rails and bars.