Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rodent Damage - Windshield Washer

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2021, 09:46 AM
Default Rodent Damage - Windshield Washer

Since we have a CX-5, I'm posting this here. But I assume that the problem is not unique to this model Mazda, or to Mazda in particular, for that matter. My wife and I bought a used 2020 CX-5 in April of 2021. The vehicle had very low miles (<5000) and we love to drive it. The quality in terms of fit and finish, in my opinion, blows the others out of the water, particularly Honda and Toyota.

The problem that I'm having is rodent damage. We live in the country so it is nothing new to us. What is new is the fact that they are going after the windshield washer tubing. We have had it repaired THREE times already - most recently a week ago. The wife discovered this morning that the washer is not working. Again. It has cost me $150 a pop each time to get it repaired. We bought the Mazda from a used car dealer (one that specialized in nicer, newer, low-mileage autos) and have had the work done by their service department. Obviously, it's not a problem with the vehicle and I sure can't blame the dealership.

I was hoping that someone on this forum could offer some suggestions. For the past several years, we have been buying a spray repellent (peppermint oil base, I believe) and have been using that religiously since this washer problem started a month ago. The last time that I had the tubing repaired, I asked the shop to spray the repellent on the area of the tubing before buttoning it back up. I keep a bag of mothballs under the hood when the vehicle is not being driven. The wife purchased some battery-powered ultrasonic emitters on Amazon that are supposed to help. I'm not convinced that these things do any good, but I went along with the Mrs and keep one of these units under the hood along with the mothballs. But here we are with the same problem for the fourth time in one month.

Honda makes a rodent-resistant tape (Honda part # 4019-2317). I don't know if this stuff works. But I thought that I would pick up a roll of it, take it to the shop, and have them wrap the washer tubing with the tape. I've lived in the boonies for twenty years and have dealt with rodent damage in the past. But nothing like this. I probably should watch a YouTube video and learn how to do this myself. The repair can't be THAT difficult, can it?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-06-2021, 03:05 PM

https://www.cableorganizer.com/categ...s-steel-braid/
May need two layers of increasing diameter.

Old 10-11-2021, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by SharpestJim
Since we have a CX-5, I'm posting this here. But I assume that the problem is not unique to this model Mazda, or to Mazda in particular, for that matter. My wife and I bought a used 2020 CX-5 in April of 2021. The vehicle had very low miles (<5000) and we love to drive it. The quality in terms of fit and finish, in my opinion, blows the others out of the water, particularly Honda and Toyota.

The problem that I'm having is rodent damage. We live in the country so it is nothing new to us. What is new is the fact that they are going after the windshield washer tubing. We have had it repaired THREE times already - most recently a week ago. The wife discovered this morning that the washer is not working. Again. It has cost me $150 a pop each time to get it repaired. We bought the Mazda from a used car dealer (one that specialized in nicer, newer, low-mileage autos) and have had the work done by their service department. Obviously, it's not a problem with the vehicle and I sure can't blame the dealership.

I was hoping that someone on this forum could offer some suggestions. For the past several years, we have been buying a spray repellent (peppermint oil base, I believe) and have been using that religiously since this washer problem started a month ago. The last time that I had the tubing repaired, I asked the shop to spray the repellent on the area of the tubing before buttoning it back up. I keep a bag of mothballs under the hood when the vehicle is not being driven. The wife purchased some battery-powered ultrasonic emitters on Amazon that are supposed to help. I'm not convinced that these things do any good, but I went along with the Mrs and keep one of these units under the hood along with the mothballs. But here we are with the same problem for the fourth time in one month.

Honda makes a rodent-resistant tape (Honda part # 4019-2317). I don't know if this stuff works. But I thought that I would pick up a roll of it, take it to the shop, and have them wrap the washer tubing with the tape. I've lived in the boonies for twenty years and have dealt with rodent damage in the past. But nothing like this. I probably should watch a YouTube video and learn how to do this myself. The repair can't be THAT difficult, can it?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Look for mouse/rat traps on youtube. Mostly, they're simple, low cost, and effective. Set one in the garage, and trap them before the get to your car.