Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convince me...Is CX-5 troubled or not, and what about Mazda's lack of customer servic

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 01:01 PM
Default Convince me...Is CX-5 troubled or not, and what about Mazda's lack of customer servic

2nd post on this forum. I'm not currently a Mazda owner, and I may or may not be one in the near future...

I have read every CX-5 review I've been able to find, and watched probably 30 videos on YouTube, and I came to the conclusion that the CX-5 was for me. I currently drive a '03 CR-V, and recently got rid of my also aged '02 WRX. So, I like some excitement mixed in with my AWD....as an asides, I had a '93 Protégé that only saw the dealership at 98,000 miles, so it was a very reliable vehicle for the 125,000 miles that I owned it.

The closest Mazda dealership is in another state, that I would have to take a $25.00 ferry ride to get to. I'm in NY on one side of Lake Champlain, while the nearest dealer is in VT, across the lake. Getting service, would be a PITA as I would have to drop the car off on the weekend and pick it up later in the week (no weekend service hours), or take a day off from work and sit with the car, hoping that any necessary repair parts were in stock at the dealer. Either way might necessitate multiple trips to and from the dealership with the associated ferry fees. FYI... Subaru was always a 3 visit fix. The first visit to figure out what was wrong and then order parts. The 2nd visit to let me know that the wrong parts came in or there was something else wrong, and the 3rd visit to finally get it hopefully fixed. So, I'm hoping/praying that Mazda is more reliable than Subaru, and that this dealer keeps parts on hand...

Now, the biggest issue (maybe Mazda should read this)...I have not yet plunked my money down on the dealer's table, and this may keep me from purchasing any Mazda now or in the future. I found this forum and have read long multi-page threads about CX-5 windshields cracking, and dealerships not covering them, with the techs using pens to find a supposed non-existent rock chip, and then chipping the windshield where the supposed rock hit. This seems to be a relatively well known problem that Mazda is turning it's back on. I'm just curious though as to how frequently this windshield issue is showing up, and if it's only with the models with all the windshield mounted safety gear.

And 2nd issue is the shake/shimmy that the AWD version seems to be experiencing from around 50 to 80 mph. Mirrors vibrating badly along with hoods and pedals/seats. Again, there seem to be multi-page threads about this, but how many people are actually experiencing this? There's also many complaints where it seems that the area reps say the shaking "is normal". Sounds like either bad engineering, or possibly steering/suspension specifications that might need to be changed. either way, it again seems that Mazda's customer service is severely lacking!

With the 2 issues listed above, and the expense/hassle of getting the car in for services, I'm strongly leaning towards crossing the CX-5 off my short-list. Without the issues, I'd put up with the hassle/expense.

Thoughts....?

Last edited by andygold; 08-18-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:29 PM

Based on my current set of experiences, if you want some fun, and a car that will do everything the CX5 can't, plus be a great AWD vehicle, look at the new Subaru Forester, Cost is a littler higher, but they give you a 2 year service policy on the car, and they have the sport trim which is what we might be getting into if we decide to ditch the cx5

Old 08-23-2014, 12:01 AM

I've got a 2015 Touring AWD, and, she's smooth up to 80 and above. In fact, much smoother than the 2010 CRV she replaced. I don't know about your issue #1 with the glass. Seems far fetched to me. Issue #2 may be nothing more than some cars getting out with tires not properly balanced, or, an alignment issue. Around here, it's difficult to get a tire balanced properly now - I now use the local Mercedes dealer because they are the only shop that has a road force balancer, and, they know how to use it.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Oldengineer

Old 08-23-2014, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by andygold
Now, the biggest issue CX-5 windshields cracking
And 2nd issue is the shake/shimmy that the AWD version seems to be experiencing from around 50 to 80 mph. Mirrors vibrating badly along with hoods and pedals/seats.

With the 2 issues listed above, and the expense/hassle of getting the car in for services, I'm strongly leaning towards crossing the CX-5 off my short-list. Without the issues, I'd put up with the hassle/expense.

Thoughts....?
There maybe a windshield cracking issue, but it hasn't been determined if its the glass or installation issue. OEM glass is $500, but second party glass has just been made available in the $200 range. Avoid the tech package with rain detection in windshield cause that windshield is expensive.

There were hood and mirror shake problems, but those were resolved over six months ago. I am unaware of AWD causing shimmy.

A much better source for CX-5 forum info is
CX-5 Lounge & Welcome Area

Its has high owner participation.

IMO, it would be difficult to find a better value than the CX-5. The CX-5 is better in most every way than its competition, and they all have minor issues of their own.

You missed the CX-5 infotainment issues. It has USB restart problem, ipod doesn't work so great, but CD, digital FM are great. The base radio sound quality is sub par. Get the bose option and sound quality pretty good.

Old 08-23-2014, 03:13 AM

If the AWD is of prime importance I would go with the Sube. For driver involvement and it would be the CX-5. The service issue is dealer specific. I had a Mazda 6 Sportwagon before this and knew and liked the service manager at the dealership. Mazda of America responds, but may not act, if you have to go to them.

Old 08-23-2014, 04:04 AM
Super Moderator

As I work on Mazda's every day as my job here is another of my 2 cents.

I'm unaware of any windscreen issues in the New Zealand or Australian market where I've worked and work now. It could be an American/Canadian market spec issue. Stone chips happen, it suxs but it happens. I got a stone chip in my screen within the first month of owning my Mazda3. ( insert big swear words here )

Also the same goes for shudder/shakes. I've had to rebalance a few CX5 wheels when doing pre-sale prep inspections. I had to rebalance my Mazda 3 wheels the day after I bought it. Not aware of other shudder/shake issues.

The mirrors where a concern but I believe it has been addressed ages ago.

No car/SUV is perfect. I've worked for Ford, Honda and Mazda. Go for the CX5 is my advice.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Maineiac
If the AWD is of prime importance I would go with the Sube. For driver involvement and it would be the CX-5. The service issue is dealer specific. I had a Mazda 6 Sportwagon before this and knew and liked the service manager at the dealership. Mazda of America responds, but may not act, if you have to go to them.
The new Subaru four cylinder engine is suffering excess oil consumption. I'd would research that. Don't think its resolved.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:32 AM

I have a 2014 AWD Touring CX-5. In the past 8 months of ownership I've driven 13,000+ miles with it, 8,000 towing a trailer coast-to-coast (much on backroads). Other than the annoying infotainment issues, zero problems. The car has been flawless.

It replaced at 2012 CRV, which in turn replaced a 2003 CRV. I'm much happier with the Mazda. As reliable as the Hondas but much more fun to drive, and better gas mileage (slightly).

Old 08-24-2014, 01:11 PM

I have a late 2014 and it appears that all the issues have been addressed.

I push it hard on back roads and it loves it. No shake, no vibration, nothing but a BIG Grin.

On the highway I have to constantly hall it down from about 74 MPH That seems to be where it wants to run.

When you take delivery, do check the tire pressure, If the dealer doesn't catch it then it will be to high.

As a ex WRX owner, if you need a SUV then you need the CX-5 No question. I traded a Audi for the CX-5 and I am very pleased.

When you pick it up, please do me a favor and take it down rt 7 to 17, then take 17 over the mountain to Waitsfield and back. you WILL grin big time. I am betting you turn it around and do it again.

The ferry ride is a pain but it is small price for the area you get to live in.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:46 PM

here is a nice tool. just launched today:

https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/

Quick Reply: Convince me...Is CX-5 troubled or not, and what about Mazda's lack of customer servic