Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Rear Parking Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by montanaman
One of the only short-comings of the CX-5 is you have to get the top trim to get parking sensors and that ain't right. Those have become almost standard on many vehicles that cost less than 30k. It's really a safety item and should have been bundled with the other new safety features that do come on the car.
If it's not clear, in the US, only the top trim has factory installed parking sensors. However, on all other models, it's possible to get dealer installed rear parking sensors. I've been asking about the latter, since I really don't want the turbo.

Old 01-06-2019, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by GaryMx
If it's not clear, in the US, only the top trim has factory installed parking sensors. However, on all other models, it's possible to get dealer installed rear parking sensors. I've been asking about the latter, since I really don't want the turbo.
So they would have to replace the bumper which won't be cheap ( or drill the holes) It would be better if they just put them on every car at this point and price point.

Old 01-07-2019, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by montanaman
So they would have to replace the bumper which won't be cheap ( or drill the holes) It would be better if they just put them on every car at this point and price point.
I believe they drill holes. One of the third-party official Mazda parts sites has the instructions. It's fairly intimidating - not only removing the bumper to drill holes, but removing the interior panels to thread the wires and install the optional switch (necessary if you ever pull a trailer, or maybe even a bike rack).

I agree with your conclusion.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:53 AM
Super Moderator

The don't replace the bumper.

For techs that do this all the time, it's not intimidating or difficult. It's just another job during the day.

It all comes down to money when building and selling cars.