Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question About Nav Update Releases

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2021, 06:51 PM
Default Question About Nav Update Releases

I bought a 2016.5 Grand Touring with Navigation in July 2019, Certified Pre-Owned from the local dealership. Last month we took the car to Sedona and the nav was taking us on wild goose chases. A few week's ago it did the same thing to me in Las Vegas. I downloaded Mazda toolbox and found out that the SD Card Map Update was from 2015 quarter 2. The card was updated before the car was even born! I went to the dealership about it and they said I had to update maps online through toolbox. I told them that Mazda wants $85 for the update and shouldn't they have updated it before I bought it since the car was a 2016.5 and I didn't buy it until July 2019. They said it had to be done at home so I contacted Mazdahandsfree which is the email for the toolbox and they said my time to get a free update expired. Yes, it expired BEFORE I bought the car. The guy was rude and extremely unhelpful, which was disappointing since my perception of Mazda has always been so positive. I would have thought it would've been checked like the other things to do with the car when it came in from it's lease with the first owner. I bought navigation with the car but the dealership didn't ensure it was updated. They also left all the previous owner's information in the system including her home address. I would like to ask you guys if you know how many times a year Mazda updates the maps. I see that the last update through toolbox was February 2021. If I am going to have to pony up for an update that should have been there when I got the car, I don't want to buy the February update only to have a new one come out in July . !! That's my luck, lol! Thanks guys!

Old 06-24-2021, 09:54 AM

You bought a car with an expired Nav subscription. As such you aren't entitled to updates without paying for them. The person who had your CX previously should have done the updates and didn't. Now you'll have to pay for it. Look into cards from Amazon or Ebay.

Updates normally get released twice a year.

Old 07-15-2021, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Conrad 16.5
You bought a car with an expired Nav subscription. As such you aren't entitled to updates without paying for them. The person who had your CX previously should have done the updates and didn't. Now you'll have to pay for it. Look into cards from Amazon or Ebay.

Updates normally get released twice a year.
If the car he bought had duct tape on a part in the engine and the owner doesn't realize it until some time after the purchase, are you saying that it's the owner's problem?

Old 07-16-2021, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by janetmc
if the car he bought had duct tape on a part in the engine and the owner doesn't realize it until some time after the purchase, are you saying that it's the owner's problem?
yes! Yes!

Old 07-16-2021, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by JanetMc
If the car he bought had duct tape on a part in the engine and the owner doesn't realize it until some time after the purchase, are you saying that it's the owner's problem?
What? If you buy a used car you are buying a USED car. If there's duct tape on the engine then you bought duct tape on the engine of your used car, Of course it's the new owner's problem, who's else would it be?

If you buy a used car with an expired Nav subscription then you have a car with a expired Nav subscription and it's yours to deal with.

Old 07-16-2021, 01:35 PM

As others have said the best solution for you is to buy a new navigation card on Ebay. It should be available for 30 bucks or so and when you activate it you will have three years of updates included. Much better deal than paying $85 to update the one you have now.

I am in the camp with others here who say you should have checked on this BEFORE you signed the papers. You can't assume the dealer is going to have your best interests at heart. Any car purchased used and beyond the manufacturers warranty is the responsibility of the BUYER. The dealer doesn't have to warranty anything unless they offer to do so when you are purchasing. I see these types of cases on court shows all the time. Folks want to benefit of getting a deal buying used, but think they have the full warranty of buying new. They are sold As-Is and all issues after driving off the lot are the new owners problem (unless the dealer/seller willingly hid a known defect)...

Last edited by chickdr19; 07-17-2021 at 08:38 AM.